Heart Disease Community
Open heart and bypass surgery on 86 yr old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Hi there. My grandmother is suppose have open heart and bypass surgery this wk. She is 86 yrs old. She has 3 clogged arteries they're going to do. She has no other health problems besides arthritus. She supposely has a good sugeron to do her surgery. I am very worried of course. My question is - do you know of anyone whose elderly that had good experience from this surgery? I know its major surgery but hoping this surgery has come long way since what it used to be.  I believe doctor said risk is 8 to 10 % when he spoke with my mother. I was sick and didn't want get my grandmother sick so left hospital early that day. She never had heart attack by the way but they're doing this before she does cause at risk of it with her arteries. Thank you
  • quadruple bypass (10 replies):
    My mom is 82 and they want to do surgery. She has been ...[more]
  • heart disease (1 replies):
    do they collapse both lungs with open heart surgery; mit...[more]
  • surgery (2 replies):
    I have to go for surgery on my wrist. I am going to be p...[more]
  • Surgery (3 replies):
    I know that major surgery is major surgery, but is bypas...[more]
  • Avoiding surgery (2 replies):
    Hello there my father in law had a massive heart attack ...[more]
Hi--It's understandable to be nervous and worried. Both of my parents had open heart surgery and bypass within the past 2 1/4 years; they were one month shy of 80 (Mom) and 83 years old (Dad) at the time. They each had other medical problems in addition to heart disease and came through their heart surgery without serious complications like stroke or infection. But I was worried sick...

The good news is your grandma doesn't have diabetes which would make her surgical risks higher.

My advice would be to ask a lot of questions. If something doesn't seem quite right or if you're not sure whether what she is experiencing is normal/expected or not, don't be afraid to ask. Please keep us posted as to how she is doing. Best of luck!  
My grandmom had surgery yesterday at 4.30 to 7.00 pm. It went good (the doc said). They tried take her off ventilator I guess early this morning but had some troubles with it so put her back on ventilator. She's 86. She never had any heart surgery before. Is this normal? Sorry, just very worried..Thank you. Glad your parents surgery went well.
It can be normal for a person that age to take longer to "come around" after surgery than a younger person.  You can sit by the bedside and talk to her or read something comforting to her.  A deep part of her mind will know that you are there, even if she does not seem to hear you.  Familiar sounds, including loved ones' voices, will help her.  Tell her that you are there, that you love her, and that she is going to be okay.  

When she gets out of ICU and into a regular room, if there is a TV in the room and she has a favorite program, you can play it for her, even if she is not totally alert.  Same thing with music, if she has some favorite music, you can bring a small jambox or radio and play it for her.  

Tell her every day what is happening, as if she can understand you.  Be calm and positive.  Ask the staff to talk to her and tell her what they are doing when they do things for her and give her treatments, even if they believe her to be unconscious.  

After she wakes up, she might have some mental problems.  If that happens, don't worry.  It's common with older people who go through surgery.  It's from the massive amount of drugs that people get in surgery, plus disorientation from being in a strange environment.  She will be okay when she gets out of the hospital and gets back into her own familiar surroundings.  

I will say a prayer for her.  I'm sure the doctors would not have done the surgery if they did not believe that she could recover from it and benefit from it.
my dad is 77 and was recommended for bypass heart surgery.  What are the risks. Do we have alternatives to surgery