Heart Disease Expert Forum
Opinion for Heart murmur, High pulse rate, Shorter Lifespan !
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Opinion for Heart murmur, High pulse rate, Shorter Lifespan !

This is actually related to one of my closest friends & I am seeking various opinions :)
She is presently 20 years old and was detected with a 'murmur' in heart during her childhood. By default, she has distinctly 'higher (heart) pulse rate' than normal human (but her 'blood pressure' is in the normal human's acceptable range). So here are my queries:
1) The consulted doctor's opinion is that she would have a 'shorter lifespan' (40~45 years in total). Can this be true ?
2) When she goes for run/jog, she sometimes experiences an acute pain in the left side of chest (maybe the heart location!). So, should she stop going for such runs ?
3) If the point 1 is true, isn't there any solution to this problem ?
4) How are the four single quoted words/phrases in the above text related to each other ?
[Thank you for taking time to read and helping me out]
Tags: Heart Murmur, High Pulse Rate, Lifespan
1 Comment
Blank
Hello,
It is impossible to know exactly what is going on without being able to know more details about your friend's past medical history and prior testing.  Young females with heart murmurs can be from a multitude of problems, most of which are benign and have no bearing on life expectancy.  Heart murmurs related to severe mitral valve prolapse and regurgitation can lead to heart failure overtime if not treated (usually takes many years and can cause atrial fibrillation secondary to left atrial enlargement from volume overload; i.e. "fast heart rates").  Other, more severe murmurs can be caused by congenital abnormalities in the heart that can also lead to eventually heart failure or volume overload if untreated.  As I said, above, however, most murmurs in young females are benign and not related to any poor outcomes.  
If she is having pain in her left chest with exertion, that could certainly be coming from her heart, but could also be from a variety of other causes not related to the heart at all (hyperactive airway disease/exercise induced asthma, esophageal spasm/reflux, musculoskeletal pain, etc).  
A "higher pulse" rate can be many different things as well, ranging from dangerous arrhythmias to simple sinus tachycardia (meaning a slightly higher than average heart rate).  Simple sinus tachycardia does not in and of itself cause a shortened lifespan.
I think the best advice I could give you is to make sure that she has communicated these problems to her physician so that appropriate workup can be initiated (things like an EKG, echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) etc.).  
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank