Heart Disease Expert Forum
Oral Surgery 3 months after my Heart Attack

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I recently suffered a heart attack in November and am now in need of major orgal surgery; probably dentures where all teeth will have to be removed.  My cardiologist looked a bit concerned and feels I should hold off until we get a thalium stress test.  I too am concerned that between coming of of RX's and just the stress, that I am going to have another heart attack in the chair.  Does anyone know or have you heard about orgal surgery being done in the hospital?  I am thinking that I might switch dentist to one that is located across from the ER.  I am seriously not joking!!
The stress related to the surgery is not likely to cause you the heart attack.  What may however is the fact that you will have to stop taking some of your meds.  This is especially important if you had a stent placed in any of your heart arteries.  If you did not have a cathterization or an angioplasty done at that time of your heart attack you should have a stress test to assess your risk.  I am assuming that you are not having any chest pain or shortness of breath at rest or with exertion.    
I Had oral surgery done 3 months after my heart attack, and heart surgery. I had five teeth pulled. My dentist cunsulted my cardiologist they made a plan for me, They took me off my meds, ones that are very serious needed because they were worried that I could clot. But they made a plan together and everything came out fine. I was scared but I did my research. I suggest for you to work with the two of them. I have heard of oral surgery being done in the hospital. But I have had my done in the dentist office after everything was cleared for me to have it done and now I feel great. I hope that helps you.