Heart Disease Community
Osteomyelitis of sternum

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Osteomyelitis of sternum

Has anyone had this diagnosed after coronary artery bypass surgery? I had surgery in August, have had sternal pain since and after an xray last week, all of a sudden they want a cat scan and say they don't like what they saw. The term osteomyelitis was tossed out. I just wondered how frequently this occurs and treatment.
I read an earlier post about someone whose surgeon told him he would have pain for quite sometime after the surgery. I wasn't so lucky. I watched a video as part of the pre-op teaching and all the patients were in their 70s, smiling and saying they only experienced mild discomfort postop. I was 53 when I had the surgery-no heart attack, no symptoms, no family history-just a coincidence they found three blocked arteries. I worked out vigorously four times a week prior to the surgery. Now I have started a milder exercise program but almost everything but walking increases the pain. I do work so am not bedridden!!! I just would like to have the pain go away and am hoping antibiotics will take care of the osteomyelitis if thats what is causing this.
Thanks.
Any info would be appreciated.

This discussion is related to Sternum pain after By-pass Surgery.
-8 Comments Post a Comment
I am Dr. Arch S. Miller. I am on the reconstructive forum. Many times the sternal pains you describe can be caused by unstable sternums caused by wires breaking, stretching or unraveling. There is a novel new way of fixing this . About 60 physicians in the US do this and I am very interested in it. Your problem is very common and if you will go to the web site rapidsternalclosure.com you will see this technique. If you call 918-492-2282 we can give you further information, respectfully,
                 arch s miller md facs
anyone out there dealing with chronic osteo myelitis of the sternum (mrsa)  I had a bypass, got the bug at the hospital, had two operations to cut out the infection and half of my sternum, the infection seemed to go away for several years but was just being quiet and eventually once again raised it's ugly head.  I have been diagnosed, am on septra always and clindo sometimes, have bone, (it grew back, my missing sternum portion), showing now, maybe the size of a quarter.  At 59 I am just not ready to quit yet.   I have refused further invasive treatment from anyone in my region> the pacific northwest<  Thinking about seeking trials or cutting edge treatments elsewhere in the country.  Any suggestions?  I am very healthy, must have the immune system of a gorilla, (the lady who just cut my hair, her daughter was a nurse in California, she caught mrsa through a minor cut at work, it is finishing the job of killing her in less that a year, why her.  My pcp says that I do not have the worst sort of mrsa but that it does love bone.  I am trying to do the best I can with lifestyle changes and nutrition but I do wonder what else is going on out there.  The local solution is to just take everything plus some, reminds me of cancer surgery 50 years ago....is there better elsewhere?  harryc
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
So discouraged
15 hrs ago by Margot49
Dalubaba commented on Des_a_rae's status
How Bad Science and Big Business Cr...
Aug 02 by gymdandee