Heart Disease Community
Out of Breath Just doing simple housework

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

My dr told me not to worry about my stress test even though it showed a small portion of my heart is not getting addeagute blood when stressed.I have noticed after vacumming or really any housework or activity i get all out of breath,im scared i have severe anxiety and worry constantly about my health,my menatal health counsler says im fine and will not let me go to the dr she has put the fear in me that she will have me commited to along term facicity if i keep going to drs,,,she says im a hyperchrondriac and she says she can put me away...im so scared  is it normal to get out of breath i am 48 female 135 lbs i have been pretty non active for the pasrt year..any thought
Your mental health counsler would be the I would worry about. The counsler an not have you commited for taking care of your health. In this day in times. We are all alittle hyperchrondriac. You should always seek advise from a doctor when you are feeling bad.
Being out of alittle breath after doing house work may be normal, if you are out of shape,
over weight or like me have COPD or other breathing problems. Exserise may help if you can tolorate it. Hang in there,
                                                 James
That health counselor needs an attitude check big time. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with getting checked out by your physician, especially if you feel it is heart related. I don't care how many times you want to see your doc, there is nothing wrong with that, why do you think some folks get second and even third opinions. Why, you are worried about your life, health, etc, of course it is normal to be scared. This so-called-counselor is cruel, and in my opinion, has no business being in any type of medical profession. I'd like to see her really scared or anxious, then the shoe would be on the other foot.

I feel I tend to be a little hypochondriac myself at times, I think most of us are, there is so much talk about health on TV, you can not avoid it.

As far as being short of breath after minor exertion, well, I can speak from experience, if you are under very high anxiety, you will definately experience it, I know I sure do, it is normal. In fact, one of the symptoms of anxiety is shortness of breath. You see, when we get uptight, our muscles tighten up also, thus, causing even muscles in the lung area to be tight and this in turn keeps the area from expanding all the way, it is perfectly normal. Of course, being inactive and out of shape does not help, but, that can be taken care of by gradually increasing your exercise. For instance, start out by just walking maybe 5 to 10 minutes a day, do that for a few days, then, start increasing by 5 minute increments until you are up to around 40 minutes a day, I bet you will not only notice improvement in your breathing, but, a general, overall improvement in your mental outlook. Exercise releases natural endorphins, these are the "feel good" hormones and when you feel good, the anxiety will naturally leave and you will be more relaxed.

I hope this is of some help to you. Take care and God bless and by all means, if consulting your doctor gives you peace of me, do it.

Susie