Heart Disease Community
Out of breath and some chest pain/pacemaker

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

I had a pacemaker implanted about a month ago ( at the age of 33) and felt good up until last week when I started feeling difficulty breathing (not real bad)more like out of breath like when you finished running and some chest pain again not bad. It will last a couple of days and then I feel better. I have a blood pressure cuff that checks heart rate and everything checks out okay. Saw my cardio today and he said everything looked good. He did say that I needed to keep an eye on it. Is there any one out there that has felt this?
Yes, I have had chest pains and shortness of breath on a semi-regular basis.  I am 31 and this is my second pacemaker.  I'm due for a new one in the near future.  I've had a pacemaker since the age of 18 due to an AV blockage.  I have had chest pains - stabbing, gripping even with the pacemaker.  There are times when I'm fine and out of the blue I get knocked on my butt with the pain and difficulty breathing.  Doctors have found nothing, they can't diagnose something they don't see happen.  But I know it's something and my family and coworkers can tell you its not nothing.
Hi there my hubby Stu has a pacemaker for sick sinus syndrome and he experienced similar problems to you both caused by atrial flutter which he has had ablation for. The Drs kept telling him is symptoms were worse than they should be but we persisted in asking for treatment as he ended up unable to work etc. Although he isn't as bad as he was he still needs to listen to his body and rest up. Over doing things results in breathlessness and tiredness. He also keeps up his potassium levels through bananas and supplements.
I am 48 and scheduled to have a pacer in a few weeks. I am in good health, other than a slow heart rate when I am stationary. My rate goes to 40-48 bpm. Are you physically active? Does this problem occur when you finish running? Are you having second thoughts about a pacer. What was your condition?
Rob S.
have them interrogate your pacemaker.  Best wishes.
You might try jumping up and down to get the motion mechanism working to raise your pulse. It doesn't take a lot of energy. I sometimes go hopping around to get the pacemaker to actually pace me at a higher rate for a short time. Sometimes it helps.

Thatch
That is a great idea..........
are you butt naked then too?
Nope, twasn't quite naked earlier either. I was wearing burkenstocks. The butt ugly footwear of choice of RNs everywhere. Summer here in Texas is a bit warm so I just wear burks and shorts, keep it around 80 and run the ceiling fans. My SS check ain't deep so conserve I must.

When I 1st got my pacer and before it was adjusted I was driving down the highway with the window down and the seat belt flapping against my chest had my pulse going faster than the car. Bouncing up and down in the chair might do the trick, but I do like to hop around with Texas Outlaw Rock on the radidio.

"I was drunk the night
My mom got out of prison.
And I went to get her in my
Pick Up Truck,
In the pouring rain.
She was standing on the
Side of the railroad tracks
And got ran over
By a damned old Train!"

David Allen Coe

Thatch
Say - hi there Donna. Have you posted here before? I probably missed it. The old place is still open.

Thatch - don't know who you are but you certainly change the atmosphere on this board. I like that song by the way. That's the extra verse to make it the ideal country song.

Just sitting in the dark here being weird. Hubby got called back into work after an 11 hour day. Someone tampering with things in the main  morgue. He won't be back for several hours. I just did a 9 hour day -no big deal. Ha. At least my heart is as quiet as the house right now.
Hi Donna.  Nice to see you here.

Drink a lot of strong coffee.  That's my stress test dr asked me to.
I am 48 yrs old & had to get a pacemaker in Nov. 07. A week after getting it l was lightheaded, short of breath & sweating.That happened again a few more times in Dec. & Jan. I then have had my pacemaker adjusted 3 times since then & still at least once a month l am lightheaded & sort of breath, along with sweating. I am told there is nothing else they can do as my pacemaker is set at 45 now.They are now telling me that l have pacemaker syndrome which there isn't anything else they can do. It is very frustrating & my husband worries about me all the time.Everyone thinks once you get a pacemaker you are fine but some people like me are not.
My dad had been experiencing the same problems as you - especially with the sweating.  I can't remember what they told him was low but they said for him to drink A LOT of gaterade daily and it has helped tremendously.  I am here looking right now because he is in the emergency room with extreme pain at the area just below his pacemaker and my sister and I are trying to figure out what could be causing it.  Good luck to you all...
"Pacemaker Syndrome" very strange!  How come it came on my number 4, 7 years old pacemaker.....  Before 3 and the number 4 (first 6 years) didn't have the syndromes?
Hi there i have a pacemaker and only 19 had it for only a month. I get all these symptoms but my ECG comes back fine but it feels unreal, but along with it I've also had 3 mild heart attacks. But these pains the drs and all say it seems to be fine but I know it really isn't. Thanks keeley