Heart Disease Community
PACEMAKER & STAPH

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

PACEMAKER & STAPH

MY PACEMAKER WAS PUT IN 2 WEEKS AGO, I HAVE SINCE DEVELOPED A STAPH INFECTION. MY HEART DOCTOR WANTS TO LEAVE THE PACEMAKER IN PLACE UNTIL THE INFECTION IS GONE, THE DOCTOR FROM INFECTIOUS DISEASE SAYS IT SHOULD BE REMOVED NOW.WHAT ARE THE RISK OF LEAVEING IT IN OR TAKING IT OUT? COULD IT DEVELOPE INTO MRSA? MY WHITE BLOOD CELL COUNT IS HIGH.
HOW DO I FIND OUT IF MY DOCTOR IS QUALIFYED TO REMOVE IT? IF IT COMES TO THAT.
Iam VERY SICK I HAVE FEVER,PAIN AND SWELLING AROUND THE SITE OF THE PACEMAKER, I HAVE CHILLS AND I SHAKE ALOT  I am VERY TIRED AND FEEL SICK TO MY STOMACH.
Iam IN THE HOSPITAL ON ANTIBIOTICS, BUT NO ONE CAN AGREE ON A TREATMENT AND SHOULD THE PACEMAKER COME OUT OR LEAVE IT IN, ANY SUGGESTIONS?
I had a friend go through something similar after a serious abdominal surgery.They had set in a mesh like affair to support his intestines. Turned out the mesh was contaminated and he ended up with staph. They struggled with the same decision - take it out and put in a new one or just treat the staph and replace the mesh later. They chose to treat the staph until it was under control. Didn't see a need to put in a new "clean" mesh just to have it become contaminated. But a mesh thing is different than a smooth metallic pacemaker. It's tough when even the doctors can't decide. As far as you know are the leads to the heart staph free?