Heart Disease Expert Forum
PACs, PVCs and Pulse

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

PACs, PVCs and Pulse

Doctor,

From a long term PAC sufferer - a couple of quick questions regarding pulse taking at the wrist and neck.  1.) Can PACs or PVCs both be felt in one's pulse?  2.) Does SVT or VT result in a rapid pulse, or might the rapid beats not be represented in the pulse and only on the EKG?

A side note, I think most users of your forum are saddened by the cut backs in posts and responses.  Is there any chance of it returning to its previous glory?  Its a fantastic resource.

Thanks.

Andrew
Dear Andrew,

Both PAC's and PVC's are transmitted to your pulse.  You will notice and irregular early beat in both cases and the following pulse beat will often feel harder than usual.  this is perfectly normal.

As far as SVT, you will feel a rapid pulse and, if the heart beat becomes too fast, will notice that the pulse will become less full.  this is because your heart has less time to fill and will transmit a less strong pulse.

Thank you for your kind words for this site.  We are all saddened by having to cut back on providing medical information.  We are hopeful that we can find other sources of funding to maintain this site.
from what ive been able to gather(and my own personal experience), pacs=skipped beats....pvcs=extra beats
and yes, svt will manifest itself as a very rapid, shallow pulse (almost undetectable in the wrist)
Andrew, I have SVT and my heart rate can soar to 200 beats/minute.  The SVT episodes are absolutely detectable w/out an EKG - I can take my pulse by just placing my hand on my chest during those times, my heart is beating so hard and fast.  An EKG shows my doctor what the rhythm is looks like.
I am a 38 year old female.  I was just diagnosed with PVC's.  I am really worried about this condition and have no information on it at all.  I was admitted into the ER last weekend and the doctor did not seem to be concerned at all.  These beats make me feel light headed and it feels as though my heart is turning over in my chest.  I am also having 5 to 8/minute.  I am becoming depressed and it is really effecting my quality of life.
Brenda,
I have had PACs and PVCs for many years but they increased in intensity the last few years.  I am 43. I've also had moments of light-headedness as well as a tight feeling in the chest, radiating up to my throat.  My doctors tell me over and over again that I am OK.  I have had bouts of depression also and the extra beats used to really mess up my life.  I'm starting to learn how to live with them.  In time, you will too. Usually after a period of time, the extra beats decrease in frequency, and you'll stop worrying about them.

Good luck!
I have had PVC's since I was about 13 years old. This year I turned 45 and they have really got bad. They distrubt your life and nobody understands the strain it puts you in. I have had to go home from work several times. It probably is the most unnearving thing I have ever had. I went to the Dr. this week because I knew I was going to die. He gave me a stress test and the beats started after I surpassed 100 beats per minute. When I got up around 145 about every other beat was PVC's. I thought I was going to die on the treadmill. The Dr. came in and read the EKG and listened to my heart.(I went 5 years ago for a treadmill)
He again told me the PVC's were non life threatening. He asked me if they really bothered me. I about croaked and told him they were driving me nuts and I was starting to get depressed. He suggested I try a low dose of ATENOLOL (a BEATA BLOCKER) and see if that helped. So far I have been a different person. It slows your heart down a little but the episodes have really decreased. When I do have them now they seem to be easier and my heart don't feel as if it is trying to jump out of my chest. I just want to say that I found this site about a month ago and I have been helped by knowing that other people were having the same problem as me. For a while I thought I was the only one that had this problem. Doctors do seem to be surprised when you tell them how much this condition affects your everyday life. I really sympathise with people who have PVC's or PAC's. In my case my family thought I was nuts, my employer, and especially my wife.
People who never have had this condition cannot give you any sympathy. If anyone wants to ask any questions please email me at  ***@**** I would be glad to answer any questions and give you an update on how the medecine is helping me. Thanks for listening.

Bradley
I have been having PVCs about every 4 to 15 beats for the past
5 days.  I have been told that these are not threatening, but I have grown tired and depressed about this constant problem.  My sympathy goes out to all who experience these irregularities. Threatening or not they are life changing.  I don't know why I have this problem or the solution.  I am currently taking xanax just to keep from "going crazy."  I really don't want to take drugs.  Has anyone found relief in non-prescription remedies?  Thanks for any help, and may we all find strength to deal with these problems.
I had PVC's and was very sick with them. I would get faint and dizzy and I would feel very sick. I was put in the hospital because I was having chest pain with them. The doctors found that I was in bygemity (sp)(which is every other beat) and they put a holter monitor on me for 24hrs. When I went to see my cardioligist he was surprised to see that I had 121,000 beats and of them 51,000 were PVC's. they ran tests and everything came up fine but I still had the PVC's. He sent me to Columbus Oh. to see an electrophysioligist. They did a EP study which is where he went through a vein in my groin and looked at my heart and fixed the problem. My rythm is perfect. The test is like a heart cath but they go through a vein instead. It is a same day procedure. I feel great now and recommend everybody look into this.
If your Doctor isn't helping and you are really miserable then look for one who will help. The office who helped me is Mid Ohio Cardiology in Columbus Ohio.  Ask your Doctor to put a holter monitor on you.
I am a 36 years old male with PVC problem for almost 10 years. They started when I was 26 and they were very few. (Lasting a few days in a year and I was just ignoring them.) I was not worried about them as my father(who is 73 yrs old medicine doctor, 30 yrs PVC sufferer) told me I don't have to worry about them. 3-4 yrs ago, they became worse and I went to a cardiologist. I wore Holter Monitor and it was found out that every 7 beats out of 100 were premature and until the evening, ther was none. This means they come when I rest. Doctor gave prescribed me quinidine , and told me to take one when I feel really bad.It really worked. Even when I took half pill, all of them had disappeared. However, last year, I had 2 serious attacks which I have never had before. All of a sudden , my heart started beating 200 bpm. The first event took about 40 minutes and it retained to original sinus rthym without any doctor touch in the hospital. However, the second episode I had was really frightening. (Oct.99) It started again immediately going 200-210 bpm. No response to antiarrythmic medication in the emergency and I had cardio version. It was VT attack and the doctors told me to have EPS and RF ablation. I had the procedure  in December and my electrophysologist told me that they induced the VT and ablated it. For the last 4 months, I do not have not had  any VT attacks. One thing which was disappointing for me , after the procedure, I was hoping my PVC to be removed. But this was not the cas. My PVC's are still with me, they became so chronic but probably the nature has changed. They come always before I go to bed, and I can not sleep at all without taking any sedatif. My doctor gave me now Beta Blocker as quinidine did not help. When I take half a pill after dinner, it is OK.
What I noticed so far is that, PVCs are very much sensitive  to tiredness, sleeping , smoking, caffeine and tein. When I drink even a very small cup of tea or coffee in the afternoon, it is the best invitiation for my PVC. However, I found out that, if I drink a glass of whiskey in the evening, they become really very few. Also, one should avoid eating too much in the evening to avoid them apppearing. As they usually comes at rest, I started putting a bit more effort onto my body and I started exercising when I come home. It really helped.
PVC usually appear during the change of season and they might disappear totally for a few months without any reason and they come back all of a sudden without any significant cause too.
One final point, I tried vitamins, minerals and enzymes. They did not help at all.
I wrote this letter just to share my experiences with other PVC sufferers and I'm pleased to share my experiences with the others. It is really very annoying to get always the same comments from the doctor:"PVC are not important.They are not considered as disease. Ignore them." But, hell, they change my life and although I know that they're not life threatening, they give the person the fear of death. I hope, the medicine will find a real cure for this problem.
I'll be pleased to hear the other'S experiences.
You can e-mail me. Kemal.***@****-atochem.fr

Good luck to you all.

Kemal KIS
Istanbul&TURKEY
I am 30 years old.  I was diagnosed with SVT in 1996.  The episodes got so bad that in March of 1997, I had a catheter ablation performed.  It was the worst decision I ever made!  I knew there was a small risk for complications, but never thought one would happen to me.  Well, it did.  The doctor punctured my heart with the catheter wire; thus, my heart bled and filled up the pericardium so the heart muscle couldn't beat properly.  One side of my heart collapsed, and I was going down hill fast.  They stopped the procedure and rushed me to emergency surgery to fix the problem.  Since then, I've had both SVT and short runs of VT, which I never had before the surgery.  Needless to say, I have a new cardiologist who has me taking Digoxin for the SVT, and we're not treating the VT since the episodes are non-sustained.  I have PACs and PVCs all the time, but my doc says not to worry.  I work-out four days a week, and that helps.  Plus, the Digoxin does wonders for the SVT with no side effects except for my near sightedness has gotten a little worse.

I would advise anyone to seriously consider the possible complications of an ablation before having the procedure done.  If I had to choose all over again, I would have opted for Digoxin, but I wasn't given that option then.

God bless you all!  He's the reason I'm still here!
I am 32 years old, and having fast heart palpitations, the post effects are tightness in my chest, tingling in my arms, light headiness, slurred speach, disorientation, cold sweats followed by severe chilling....plus more weird stuff like the tip of my tongue will go numb, the tips of my fingers will be ice cold..sometimes i have to cough or even purge to make my heart start beating correctly..At night it is hard for me to sleep if i have been under alot of stress, not the day of stress but possibly 2 or 3 days later. I have been to the emergency room several times..i have been told my EKG looks good and my heart is in good condition. (i always felt the emergency room staff though i was a hypercondriac).  I have also wore many heart monitors and was seen by a Cardiologist. I was told that if i led a healthy life i could add 5 years to my life due overextending myself on the treadmill test and how my heart responded.  My echogram was normal.  My xrays where normal. The doctors basically said i was OK.

One year ago, my mother was in the hospital suffering from a stroke at the age of 50. She has been diagnosed with high blood pressure since the age of 32. She smokes severly and has a small hole in her heart since birth. In front of the nurses station I collapsed on way my up to my mothers hospital room, having an arymthia attack.  I was rushed to the emergency room, the nurses where worried because they couldnt monitor my heart beat.  Just before they could get me hooked up to the monitor i purged and my heart started beating normal..I was so very scared.  

What should i do?  Im really scared.

I think you should find another doctor and get a second opinion. You might want to get checked for bloodclots. Another thing to consider is blockages in your arteries. But first you should go to another doctor maybe even another hospital.

Good Luck and Your in my Prayers!
yes, i agree...
find another doctor quickly even if it means traveling
you can definately be treated for this
Pamela,

My heart (no pun intended!) goes out to you.  I'm a 33 year old female experiencing the same symptoms as you. I have had SVT since the age of 20, and it has become especially bad since the birth of my third child last July.  I dont know if hormonal changes exacerbate SVT and PVCs, but the year after the births of each of my children were rough ones re my heart.  

I have very similar symptoms to yours.  My attacks happen while I'm asleep.  I wake up in the middle of the night, completely disoriented for 2-3 mintues (horrible feeling of not knowing who I am or where I am).  Shortly afterward, my heart races to 190-200 bpm.  I can barely walk or catch my breath.  My left hand becomes tingly and numb, I start to freeze and shake uncontrollably. In the ER, they monitor my for hours.  My pulse is usually down to 140bmp six hours later when they let me go home.  I will not let them 'convert' me during those times because I'm too frightened (I go thru enough during these episodes, I don't need my heart stopped for 5 seconds from adenosine!).  You're lucky that you can convert yourself by bearing down.  Many of us w/ SVT can't find any way to interrupt the cycle.

If I were you, I'd find a good cardiologist.  I think most of the docs dismiss these symtoms (symptoms).  The family doc I have now just made a referral for me to UVA.  I go there next month for an EP study (I shouldn't have read the earlier horror story in this response column! If anyone has a really good ep study story, please post it!).  My beta blocker, Toprol XL has been very helpful too.  I would recommend that you ask your doc about meds.  Even though the beta blocker doesn't prevent my episodes, it does lessen their severity and duration.  That makes me feel like I finally have some control (and that's invaluable!).  Take care and good luck!

ABM
Thank you so very much for your concern and prayers.

I have started counceling today and after reading your responses, i have made an appointment with my family doctor to redirect me on a cardiologist. We have a history of blood clots in our family, one grandfather died of a heart attack and the other died of a blood clot.  My mother has had a stroke at an early age. Its really scary.

Having support, ecspecially from people that understand, is so very important to me.  

So, thank you, again.

Sincerly,
Pamela
Good luck with your EP study.  There are many that are pulled off successfully.  Just know the risks going in.  Not to be negative, but I feel compelled to tell you that I know two other people who had severe complications during their ablations.  One 16 year old male ended up with a pacemaker and another 20 year old girl whose doc punctured her artery had a heart attack on the table. The doc saved her by doing a triple bypass.  

Read up on EP studies all you can.  At least you'll make an informed decision.  I'd say there are many more success stories than horror stories.  I didn't know all I could before going into it, and I was willing to try about anything to make the episodes go away.  Plus, my doctor didn't give me a whole lot of info.  He just made sure I knew HIS credentials, that he learned the procedure from the one who invented it, that he had a 99% success rate, etc.  Guess I had no reason not to trust him.  But, he's human too, and we all make mistakes.  I wouldn't be so bitter about it, but he left me for dead and went on vacation the next day.  He acted like nothing happened when I went for my follow-up.

I hope you have a better experience than I did.  You'll be in my prayers.
I am 27 years old, and have been having PVC's and PAC's along with the tachycardia for about five years.  I took Atenolol for three years, until I realized it was making my hair fall out.  (it has stopped since I went off of the medication)  I am having what I call episodes lately.  I always have irregular beats, they never fo away, but my heart has been shooting from my normal 75-80, up to 145-160.  Is that even fast enough to be concerned about?  When it happens, I feel light headed, like everything is moving in gel, and if I don't watch it, I will drool a little.  It makes me feel sick, and I have a hard time getting a full breath. I can't think clearly, and have chest pain.  It happens at no particular time at all, at least three times a week, and lasts for about two to four hours.  Afterward, I feel worn out, and unfocused, but when it is over, I climb right back to normal.  Does this sound typical to anyone?  Should I be worried that I am having this happen almost every day?  I am a pretty low stress person, and my doctor just likes to pass put pills, so I don't know if I should be concerned or not.  Thanks for your time!
S.K.
Hi i have been having PVC's for two years.. ( notciced.. but who knows how long before) I quit smoking,, and thats when i noticed them! go figure :) anyway.. my advice is to go to GNC or Mother Nature and get "valerian" for night time.. it calms you down and between the doctor saying that is was pretty common and the valerian pills i can sleep l ike a baby...

jim

btw i am 35
on March 10th I had a total hysterectomy (having lots of pain)  and since that time I have been having PVC's. Ended up in the ER the other night, and the doc didn't seem to be too concerned about this.  He was saying a "few" and I was feeling aroung 5 a minute.  Do you think the stress of surgery may have brought this on or maybe the Vicodin I am taking for pain?  I did have some slight pain, the night I went to the ER but now I just notice the PVC's wake me up.  After I recover from my surgery, I have to see a Cardiologist.  I pray, it has something to do with the stress of the surgery and hope it will all be gone when I recover.  Like most of you would agree, it is a frightening experience.  You lie there waiting for the PVc's to turn into Fibs and then What?
Just to inform everyone... ending up with a pacemaker is ALWAYS a risk of having an ablation... not a complication.  And there is no fesible way that puncturing the heart could end of up with having to have a triple by-pass.  Ablations are performed to correct "electical" malfuntions and by-passes for the"plumbing".
Is there much risk of a pacemaker with an EP Study?  An EP Study is the procedure incolving stimulating the electrical system of the heart, right?  If/when the doc finds an arrythmia during the EP Study, he may perform an ablation, right?  I wonder which holds the greater risk, an EP Study or an ablation?  I'm scheduled to have an EP Study this month.  I have nighttime spells of tach (180-190 bpm) lasting a few hours.  I'm wondering whether to have the EP Study or live w/ my tach.  I'm 33 and healthy, but I don't want to be 60 and have these bouts!

abm
Go for the EP study. If it can help fix your svt then I would definately go for it.  I have gone for 2 EP studies myself but unfortunately they could not get my heart to go into any odd rythums.  It really is not too scarey.  They place a catheter in your groin area and you all of a sudden feel them pacing your heart.  They give you drugs so you don't worry as much.  As I say, I am a BIG CHICKEN, but I have survived two of them.  Unfortunately I still suffer with PVC's, runs of PVC's and SVT.  Doc says to just live with it.  Good luck with your study.
It's true!  My friend did have to have a triple by-pass due to ablation complications.  The ablation was to try to fix symptoms from Wolff-Parkinson White Syndrome.  Her cardiologist tore a major vein in her heart with the catheter wire, which disrupted the blood flow to her heart.  When that happened, she actually "coded" on the table and had a heart attack.  So much of her heart was damaged that they took three veins out of her chest to do the by-pass.  Her by-pass is good for 50 years.  It wasn't a likely complication, but it did happen.
Hallo,
I too get all these symptoms as everyone else has discribed,
I am now 44 yrs old and started getting them when I was about 19 yrs old.... Not long after the birth of my first child.I also started seriously dieting and missing meals not drinking enough water and taking diet pills. I was sent to various doctors and even refered to a psyciatrist that tried to say it was in my imagination!!! In those days no one realy knew what they were!!! I finally proved everyone wrong when I was diagnosed as having SVT's. Now I also have skipped beats occasionally, I have found they follow a patern..
If they happen during the night it is because I go without a proper evening meal.. or my period is due. ( hormonal fluctuations)or I get overheated. I keep my blood sugar even by eating small snacks every 2-3 hours when I'm awake. I dont eat anything that is sweetened with sugars or refined carbohydrates no preservatives, artifiacial colours, spices, onions, No Aspartame (nutrasweet), no caffine, I dont drink alcahol (alcohol), dont smoke, make sure I dont rush around too much and get enough sleep.I eat alot of fish and veges and fruit
sometimes I notice that occasionally when resting I get slow beats 55bpms,(I'm usually 70's when resting) but I'm usually overtired and up and awake till midnight when this happens. I WILL BE DRIFFTING OFF TO SLEEP AND SUDDENLY I FEEL LIKE I HAVE STOPPED BREATHING, I HAVE TO FIGHT FOR THE FIRST BREATH AGAIN, I ALSO FEEL LIKE IMPENDING DOOM AND I'M GOING TO DIE AND I FEEL LIKE I'M SINKING . then my heart starts beating faster back to around the 70s and then I feel OKay again, thank goodness this does not happen very often DOES ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCE THIS HAPPENING TO THEM???????
I have also found that Magnesium dificency and potasium deficency
can cause my heart to play up also. So I take supplements of these also, I also use natural Progesterone cream though my cycles and take evening primrose oil tabs with vitamin E everyday.
I only have an SVT that has to be reverted by ADENASINE ( this is not so bad when you get used to them) every 2-3 mths now and the skipped beats dont happen very often now, when I do get them it feels like a big punch in the chest with a few flutters then another punch and flutter then I totally relax my body and that usually stops the missed beats. If I did not look after myself my life would be like it used to be years ago, almost unbearable couldnt go anywhere in fear of these attacks etc.. Also some medications can bring the missed beats on. Mogadon, Pethadine ( after an operation for pain relief. I've had a few ops over the years! I'm given Morphine which does not have a bad effect) Also the class 2 antihistamines ie: Zantac for ulcers. codeine.
I hope what i've found useful for myself can maybe help someone else
If you want to compare treatments or just things that might help with suggestions etc.. please e-mail me
***@****
Oh my gosh, in reading all of the above comments, I know at last I am not alone.  The PVC's, skipped beats etc. drive me crazy, depress me something terrible.  I stop doing the things I use to enjoy because I have become so fixated with these annoying (scary) beats.  I too, have had all the tests and told not to worry.  Easy for them to say.  Yes, I do have a panic, anxiety disorder that I take medication for.  No wonder with funky heart beats.  I am 45 years old and they began back in 1993 at age 38.  Stress of course creates more of them.  This past week has been awful as they happen every few minutes out of nowhere.  I try to relax, deep breathing the works, unfortunately they have a mind of their own.  I cannot express to all of you how much I sympathize with you and how I wish there was a little miracle pill to make it all better.  I want for us all to go on and enjoy life to the fullest as we should.  No beta blockers for me, thank you anyway.  I become catatonic.  I don't know what the answer is but thanks to all of you for being there and sharing your story it truly helps.  Your not alone, I know it stops us from doing the things we want to do.  Hang in there!
I had an MI about a year and a half ago. Fortunately, I started to recieve mediacal care within a *very* short time period. A subsequent thalium stress test showed  minimal damage. About 5 months ago I had symptoms which caused my cardiologist to implant a IACD.

I have had skipped beats for many years, with no adverse effects. A few weeks ago I had a sudden series of discomfort in the chest (no sweats, light headedness or other signs of another MI)> My cariogolist group, arrhythmai specialists, reset something in the imnplant which decreased the discomfort. However, I now experience a continued sensation in the chest, although I find no "skipped beats" when checking my pulse.

My cardiologist had me wear a heart monitor and concluded I have PVC's and that there is not much to do about them which doesnt have potential adverse effects (medication related).

I spoke with NIH to find out if possibly the implants actions is involved with my current symptoms, none of which were present before the implant had to be "reset"

NIH indicated that no research was, or to this mans knowledge, had been done in this "narrow" area.

Have you any info as to the possability that the implant is causual to my current, and almost, continuous discomfort?

Thanks for any input

I too have been diagnosed with SVT, Pac, and the ER mentioned AFib, but my cardiologist said all of this falls under SVT.  I have severe Asthma as well and am on alot of meds that worsen the condition such as prednisone, albuterol, etc. I have been scheduled for an Ep study on the 25th of April in hopes to help with this.  My question is this, the Dr. said if anything happened to come on in to the ER.  Since just having an episode of asthma that we are trying to get under control I am taking 30mg of prednisone,biaxin, nebulizing, serevent,  and am now about to jump out of my skin.  Depressed would be an understatement.  I am not having what I call my usual SVT.  Always before not only did my heart beat in the 200's but it also seemed to quiver or beat irregular.  My question is that now my hearbeat is running 110 to 130 should I go ahead and go to the ER or not. Please let me know your suggestions
Hello everyone!  I'm a 28 year old very active mother of two and have experienced for the last 6 years various symptoms of Paroxsmal Atrial Tachychardia.  At first, I didn't know what was happening to me..I thought I was having anxiety attacks until finally I went to the ER and they caught the PAT on a EKG.  I found out that mine were being caused by caffiene and eating refined sugar, flour, and too much salt.  I do have an odd question for those of you out there......has anyone ever noticed that before they have a bowel movement there heart will skip or flutter?  I know it probably has something to do with the nervous system.  I find to that when I get excited or when I'm in anticipation of something happening my heart will beat wildly.  I usually bare down or cough and the feeling will go away.  This condition is quite annoying and I've spent to many precious hours worrying about when another attack will hit.  I think all the worrying I do about my condition can make my attacks appear!  Anyone else in the same boat?  Good luck everyone....and it's nice to know we're not alone!

Jennifer
I was just diagnosed with pac's and i was wondering if anyone with this problem experiences a feeling of having your breath taken away each time you feel a pac.
Hello everyone, I just found this site and wanted to share with everyone the kind of meds that I am on for my PVC'S. I have the same things that I have been reading about. two,three,four in a row. Have had montitor, ekg's(many),echo,stress test etc. Same responce from two different heart drs. Medications to reduce the number of them and learn to live with them(ha,ha)...
Anyway, I finally got on atenonol and zoloft(50mg) and xanax.
I take xanax when I have an episode it it goes away almost right away. The zoloft i take everyday(it is for depression) but the small dosage along with atenonol has put me back in controll of my life. I have had very few episodes for this past year and am at a point now that I do not even think about them (untill they happen of course). But anyway, the meds I am taking have stopped the number of pvc's. I will go sometime weeks with out an episode. And when I have one starting it will only last about 10 to 15 seconds and stop.. What a relief!!!! this past year has finally given me my life back..Ask your Dr. for this combination of meds and see if they help you too.
Good luck all of you..
Hi,  I know where everybody is coming from.  I started experiencing PVC's for 3months now and I find them very scary.  I could at work just sitting there and they'll start out of no where.  I think I bring on an anxiety attack.  I keep telling my doctor but he does not seem concerned.  He put me on Toprol-XL 50mg, but I have not started taking them.  He also says I have sinus Tachycardia.  My heart is between 76-88 normal, when I get to the cardialogist is starts beating fast up to 140.  He doesn't understand that I bring this sudden rapid heart beats on myself because i very nervous.  I keep trying to make him focus on the PVC's but he is just concerned about the rapid heart beat.
Does any one out there experience this too.  Letty
Hi all. I am too experiencing PVC's and PAC's ,tachycardia etc.
But i also experience another type of arrythmia. When i am like ordinary,and someone just shought and i'm scared,or if an important phonecall just rings i get something like an adrenalin rush,that in fact dosn't make my heart race,but like stop,and then pound really hard and slowly...After about 20-30 secs,this returns to normal BP like 65 or so. I have had 4 ekg's and 1 ultra sound and all turned up showing ok. I also feel dizzy after i stand up from a sitting position. I must say that i was overactive last years (now 20) and doing extreme sports,but also very stressed(depressed)? that i actually felt that when releasing adrenalin,i was more calm afterwards. Anyone with same symptoms? e-mail: ***@****
I am 44 yrs old and I have had PVCs for 2yrs. I have had all the test you can have. I even had a Heart Cather to see if I had blockage. I have chest pains sometimes, and also I break out into a cold sweat and get all clammy and lose my color. My Dr. has put me on a beta blocker called Toprol 50 mg. a day. It dont seem to help much. I want to know if any one else is on this medicin and if anyone has these same symtoms (symptoms) with there PVCs.
I am amazed at how many people suffer with these symptoms -- lightheadedness, palpitations, shortness of breath, chest pain, heart races to 250 beats/minute, and passing out.  This began during her senior year in high school. Her doctor said she was fine and told her to take large quantities of Advil.  After a number of visits, we looked for new doctors.  Some finally took her seriously.  She has undergone nearly every test, been misdiagnosed, worn a variety of heart monitors, and finally after 4 years we may have some direction.  Her electrophysiologist told  her he may finally have the necessary evidence needed to perform an ep study and catheter ablation.  We have studied and read about the risks for the past year.  I feel this may be our only hope.  Beta-blockers, anti-arrhymia medication, and pills to raise her blood pressure haven't helped.  People just do not realize how these symptoms affect the quality of life -- how disruptive it can be to school goals or employment -- how consuming this can become.  The symptoms erase hours and days from life.  The long episodes eventually land her in the ER and it takes nearly a day to recoop from the collapse.  She wants so desperately to be a dedicated student and employee.  Sometimes it just isn't possible.  I am grateful to hear the success stories regarding the ep study & ablation.  The risks are there and we'll pray to our Heavenly Father that she can be one of the "successes". May God bless you all in your search!
It certainly helps to read the same emotions expressed by others with arrhythmias.  I just saw a cardiologist today and was told my episodes are not life threatening, but this doesn't make them any easier to accept.  In the last month I've had two episodes that I couldn't stop and went to the emergency room.  They lasted 3 hours and not sure why they stopped.  It was finally caught on an EKG.  I've had a thallium stress test and that was normal.  I'm on 25mg of Atenonol in the morning and 50 mg at night.  Sleeping is the hardest as they will come on during rest.  I've been taking 0.5mg of Alprazolam at night and manage to get 5-6 hours of sleep. I've quit caffiene, nutrasweet, chocolate, alcohol and sugar for the most part.  This sensation seems to rule your days and nights as you are never sure when they will hit you.  I'm told to get rest, exercise, avoid stress and anxiety.  I'm hoping to try get back to some kind of normal living where my heart beats but doesn't tell me about it every second. Nice to know I'm not alone.
I was diagnosed with PVCs and told to live with them they were not serious.  It got to the point that my life quality depended on whether I thought I was going to have another beat.  Terrible at night.
Finally, my cardiologist put me on TOPROLxl.  Started with 50 mg. a day, now up to 100 mg. a day and it has completely restored my beat to normal.  It took some experimenting to get dosage correct, but it has been wonderful.  No side effects or problems that I know of with me.  Ask you doctor about this great med.
A few months ago I began to get an irregular pulse at first this didnt involve any pain just mild discomfort and a feeling of uneasiness. That would have been fine only over the next few weeks the symptoms became much worse my doctor did an ECG and referred me to a cardiologist who after doing the treadmill test reassured me that lots of people get this sort of thing and it sorts itself out! he also told me that the ectopic beats I was experiencing disappeared on excercise so I was fine - nothing at all wrong with my heart.
I returned to my own doctor as by this time I was feeling really physically ill my hair had fallen out in great patches I was having chest & back pain loss of appetite fatigue and was really confused as to what was happening. I even offered to be treated for stress but was told no as the doctor didnt think it was that, he then reffered me to a gastrointestinal consultant for further tests I have had every gastro test you can think of numerous blood tests all of them coming back negative. I was getting a constant baffled response from everyone, things came to a head about a week ago when I was admitted to hospital as an emergency, still more head scratching gastro team then handed me back to cardiology, first one examined me and said couldnt find anything out of the ordinary but when I saw the senior reg' he took out the results of the treadmill test I had originally to show me what was the problem! the test that I was told showed me how healthy I was. He explained to me the frequency of the extra systoles and that they didnt disappear during excercise but did get a lot less.
I have been reassured that I will not have a heart attack, but as some of you have described, the feeling of foreboding I experience with the pain makes you wonder how much worse it could be.
I have now been prescribed Atenonol, which even after a few days seems to be making a difference.
I felt I had to write to this page as I recognised the way a lot of you feel and though I'd rather not have this its a comfort that I'm not alone, and not losing my marbles!!
e-mail address.  ***@****
e-mail address.  ***@****
I AM 33YRS OLD AND I TO AM AMAZED AT THE RESPONSE ON THIS WEB SITE. I HAD MY FIRST EPISODE OF RAPID HEART BEAT WHEN I WAS 15 NO PVC OP RAPID HEART BEATS AGAIN UNTIL I WAS 19 IT HAPPEN AGAIN,
THEN I WAS PUT ON MED CALAN FOR ABOUT 12YRS I TOOK THAT THEN THE PVC WORSEN, I GUESS DOC'S SAY THEY ARE TWO SEPARATE ISSUES I DID THE ABLIATION PROCEDURE FOR THE RAPID HEART BEATS 2YRS AGO. BUT PVC CONTINUE I HAVE CHANGED MED'S TWICE TO VERAPAMIL AND PRESENTLY ON TROPOL 50MG TWICE A DAY. I AM NOT TO SURE HOW WELL THE MED'S WORK CAUSE I HAVE EVER QUIT TAKING THEM, I TRY TO STAY FOCUSED ON STAYING IN CONTROL OF THEM, AND TELLING MYSELF IT IS NOT GOING TO CONTROL ME. BUT WHEN IT HAPPENS I LOSE MY STRENGTH BUT STILL CONTINUE TO FIGHT. IT DOES EFFECT YOU QUALITY OF LIFE, AND FAMILY AND FRIENDS JUST DONT UNDERSTAND CAUSE DOC'S SAY NOT LIFE THRENTING, I AM PURSUING NATURAL PATHIC AVENUES IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUCCESS STORIES, PLEASE SHARE ***@**** THANKS GOD BLESS
I HAD SVT FOR ABOUT TWO YEARS AND NO-ONE COULD FIGURE OUT WHAT WAS HAPPENING WITH ME. I WAS TOLD IT WAS PROBABLY ANXIETY TO JUST RELAX. IWAS ALSO TOLD THAT SINCE I USED TO BE A SMOKER THAT  THAT MADE MY HEART SPEED UP TO 230 BEATS A MINUTE. I FINALLY MET A CARDIOLOGIST WHO DIAGNOSSED ME. IN YOUR HEART THERE IS SOMETHING CCALLED AN AV NODE. THIS CONTROLS THE ELECTRICAL CURRENT IN YOUR HEART. MINE HAD SPLIT IN TWO, CONFUSING THE CURRENT BASICALLY. ALL MY DOCTOR HAD TO DO WAS, USING A CATHETER, GO IN TO MY HEARTAND PERFORM AN ABLATION. BURNING AWAY THAT PORTION CAUSING THE PROBLEM. I STILL HAVE AN EPISODE HERE OR THERE, BUT NOTHING CLOSE TO WAHT I USED TO HAVE. AND I DON'T PASS OUT, I CAN BREATHE. IT MADE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE FOR ME
Hello...  it seems we are all in a special community.  I to have PVCs.  I am 29 and have been very active all my life with cycling and running.  About 6 years ago, due to injury and a promotion to a desk job, I have gained alot of weight.  I was having dizzy spells after excercising for about a year before I saw a doctor.  I have had every test over and over again along with the ablation in my heart.   The ablation was not totally successful, but did help.  I am on atenonol, 25 mg in the moring and 25 in the Pm.  I am thinking of going in again to see if the doctor can do a better job with the more updated equipment.  The main question I have for everyone is that when your on a beta blocker,  can that effect your bodies ability to work out on a high level.  I was an elite level cyclist and am trying to get back to that level, but I feel that being on atenonol is holding back my heart from really putting in hard efforts.   Would anyone have any information for me??  thanks....
I don't have much time to spend on the message board, but found this to be an interesting site, since I have experienced PVC's for nearly 14 years - since the birth of my son.  In the past year, I have developed PAC's on top of them, though only occasionally.  Like all of you, I spent time in the emergency room, took numerous medications, suffered depression and had doctors thinking I was a hypochondriac.  Since then, I have spent considerable time in consultation with my doctor, internists, cardiologists, and (yes, girls) my gynecologist. Hormones do play a role in many instances! Living with them has become easier over the years as the research I have done has provided much information that really helps.  Please feel free to e-mail me if you would like to communicate about some of the information I have received. My e-mail address is ***@****.  If I can help one person rest easier because of what I've learned, it will be well worth stumbling upon this site!
A related discussion, Scarred of blood clotting with eptopic beats and svt was started.