Heart Disease Expert Forum
PAT

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

PAT

I'm 51, healty female, and I have been to the emergency room twice in 2 months due to PAT. My heart rate jumps to 160 and my BP spikes to 168/115. Labs are taken and the only thing they find is my potassium level drops to 2.6 and 3.0. I've never had high blood pressure before. After the first episode, my blood pressure is barely under control. I'm taking Lotensin as perscribed by my family dr. I've seen cardiologist who pass off the "heart palpatations" as normal and non life threatening. I get a different story from the ER doctors who say this can be very serious, possibly life threatening. Last night the ER doctors  were able to record the episode on ekg. I've seen 6 doctors in the past 2 months and no one has an answer to me. This is a freightening thing to go thru. I've had my heart race before but this PAT is nothing like i've experienced before.
1 Comment
PAT, which stands for paroxysmal atrial tachycardia is in the vast majority of patients not life threatening, and can be treated either with medications which control the heart rate or others which can actually prevent the tachycardia from starting. In young people, and especially those with structurally normal hearts, the medications tend not to be well tolerated and an ablation is usually the permanent remedy. I would ask your physician to get an echocardiogram and then, if you want the ablation treatment, to refer you to an electrophysiologist.