PFO and septal aneurysm
I have recently been diagnosed with a PFO 1 cm in diameter and what has been described as a septal aneurysm, also 1 cm in diameter. My doctors have opted to have the PFO closed as I have a history of clots, including 2 PE which occured at the same time, one PE in each lung. I also have been diagnosed with lupus and have the lupus anticoagulant which encourages my blood to clot and therefore I have been placed on Warfrian long term. My question is three fold: 1) could this heart defect cause tachydardia, which I have had sime I was 16 years of age; my heart races so fast that it feels as though it may burst out of my chest, and my pulse has been as high as 200 or more beats per minute. 2) can they repair the septal aneurysm at the same time as they close my PFO? 3) Should the septal aneurysm be repaired, given my history of PE?

Kind Regards,
Andrea50

This discussion is related to atrial septal ASD with aneurysm.
I am curious to hear other comments re your posting. I'm not an expert, just an R.N. who also has an atrial septal aneurysm which showed up on a surface echo in Nov. My cardiologist refuses to order a TEE for me shich would determine the size of my aneurysm (which he emphasizes to me that is is actually a correct word for this condition (ASA)- says "aneurysm is technically a condition of the blood vessels- but to me it is neither here nor there in this discussion, as it is a bulging, an abnormal bulging and thinning of the septum or wall between the two upper chambers of the heart (atria) which have the same characteristics of "ballooning out" & not having firm connectedness, as it should have, in this area of the cardiac muscle (the septum/wall of the atria). The risks are much the same (an anueurysm in a major vessel such as the aorta or an aneurysm w/in a vital organ/muscle like the heart. Both situations predispose a person to having embolic events, due to pooling of blood "within the bulge," where blood can pool and coagulate & later dislodge, due to superventricular dysrythmias that are very common for both arterial aneurysms & also w/ ASD's.My question to you is: Was your PFO & ASA diagnosed as a result of your doctor ordering a TEE (Transesophogeal Echocardiogram)? Was there concern that the size of your ASA was 1.0? It makes sense to me that they could and should go ahead and repair the ASA, if they have plans to go in to repair your PFO. I will follow you along your path here! Good Luck & I would like any feedback thay you could give me!
Lise (I think my screen name is DETPOP)