Heart Disease Community
PFO

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

PFO

I'm 54, female, and have hypertension, shortness of breath, dizziness, and fatigue.  I went blind in one eye for several hours and then again for only a few minutes and was diagnosed as having a TIA and went on Plavix.  An event monitor showed I had many PACs, short runs of SVT's and several short Atrial runs. A recent Echocardiogram indicated a possible hole in my heart. I was referred to a cardiologist who did a TCD Bubble test which said, Bubbles were detected with and without Valsalva, which indicates a possible Patent Foramen Ovale and further TEE or/and clinical correlation is essential.  I was given the results yesterday and my doctor asked that I have an MRI to rule out other causes of the TIA, see an ENT for the dizziness, and will consult with me in a few weeks.  My question is, how can a TCD Bubble test tell if the hole in my heart is a PFO?  What tests determine the type of defect it is? Thanks for any help as I have not been told what the next steps will be.
A bubble test views the result of an agent within the blood.  When there is a positive test, bubbles are seen from left to right chamber passing through a wall (septum) that separates the chambers, and that would indicate a hole in the suptum.  PFO would indicate the hole in wall that separates the upper chambers....hole necessary prior to birth, but normally closes subsequent to birth.  A TEE would provide a better viewpoint to evaluate any blood shunting from left to right chambers and sometimes there is double shunting (right to left).
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
remar commented on specialmom's status
Coke, Pepsi dropping controversial ...
Apr 22 by gymdandee
Dalubaba commented on photo
Apr 22