PTSD and heart disease and hypertension
I am veteran of Vietnam who was engaged in heavy combat in 1968 and 69.  I have suffered from post traumatic stress syndrome since returning and have been treated in recent years. I have had the typical chronic symptoms of nightmares, anxiety, sleeplessness, restlesness and depression over the many years since I returned.  There is absolutely no family history of hypertension or coronary heart disease on either of my parents side of the family nor have either of my two siblings ever had heart attacks or hypertension.  I had my first heart attack at the age of 37, the second at age 41 and my third at 58.  I had a triple coronary bypass surgery done after the second heart attack.  My hypertansion appears relatively normal during the day time but elevates dramatically during the night and early morning( 175/130). Because it appears relatively normal during the day time, it was not diagnosed as being elevated until about ten years ago.
     My question is:  Is it likely that my having suffered from PTSD has been contributory or causitive of my coronary heart disease and hypertension?
Hello, I'm Steve. I would first like to THANK YOU for your service for our country. I am sorry to hear of your continued suffering. I am sorry, but I am not familiar with the effects of PTSD. Since stress in general can cause hypertension,I would think that it would be plausible. I hope that you find your answers and peace soon. Thanks again. In health, Steve
I never spent any time in war but did serve during Vietnam (stateside) but was assaulted in service:  so there got PTSD. I would think that one under a lot of stress from PTSD/combat or other cause:  could suffer from hypertension and heart disease:  I have the hypertension and blockage in the major veins in neck.  so the stress alone could be cause (as far as I know) from just going through what you or I did.  Hope this helps in someway.