Heart Disease Expert Forum
PVC'S and Alcohol

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

PVC'S and Alcohol

Does alcohol play a factor in causing pvc's or starting them?? And if so how much alcohol if any affects them? In other words if I have pvc's is it safe to drink alcohol?
In many people who suffer from PVCs, alcohol makes them worse. Thus, my usual recommendation to people with symptomatic PVCs is to avoid alcohol, even small amounts. This isn't out of safety concerns, though.
Being a pvc sufferer for 10 years one thing I found out is that alcohol definitely makes them worse, but not while drinking. Not till the next day do I notice a definite increase for the whole day, Even from as little as two glasses of beer.I used to just accept the consequences and have a few beers on the week-end anyway but lately I am really bothered by pvc's so I totally stay away from the stuff. I guess it isn't dangerous, just annoying and in my case, scary.
I, too, have noticed I do not have PVCs while drinking, but a lot of very bothersome PVCs the following day.  I have learned not to drink if I have to work the next day or have any other active plans for the next day, but otherwise I still "accept the consequences" on occasion.
This is why I always recommend complete abstinence from aclohol to people who are really bothered by their PVCs. Alcohol often makes them worse,sometimes right away, sometimes later on.
So basically, the alcohol (on ocassion) isnt gonna hurt anything (pvc's) just may flair them up???? My situation is kinda weird I only noticed this feeling twice (in like 6months) before I went to the doctor, after that it was constantly on my mind and worriesome so then it seemed I felt them often for about 2 weeks, now I am not as bothered by them or dont think about them quite as much and so now dont seem to feel them as often. (havent felt one for like 5 days. So basically does worrying and stress cause these to "flair" up too?? And basically if so, can any one under stress have these at any time?? And are they also permenant or just a temporary thing???
Surely this must have something to do with alcohol upsetting some body-chemistry?

For instance, does not potassium assist in maintaining a regular heartbeat, and a deficiency in it cause some PVCs?

Would taking a supplement of potassium help in relieving these PVCs? A banana?

Stress can take cause PVCs to flair up in an unpredictable fashion. Sometimes they come for a while and never again, but usually not. Potassium deficiency can cause PVCs, but this is not usually a concern in someone with a healthy diet.
Boy, that's a loaded statement. Healthy  diet?  I wonder how many of us are really on a healthy diet. Especially when you consider the number of bypasses done in this country each year
and re-dos. Must be in the Million range. I have tried to figure where I get my potassium and gave up, now take 99 mg a day. But stress plays a huge role in pvcs for me. When I found out from CCF in a second opinion about my imminent AV replacement, even though I'd been expecting it, thinking about pulling the trigger has increased my pvcs tenfold.
I think it's very simple.  Alcohol irritates the esophagus and/or stomach.  This in turn irritates the vagus nerve of the esophagus which irritates the nerve fiber of the vagus nerve to the heart. This is an example of one of the many things, e.g., stress, depression, anxiety, exercise, food, pregnancy, cold drinks,  which are related to PVC's/PAC's which are also related to irritation of the stomach and esophagus probably causing esophageal reflux. It makes sense to me that the PAC's would persist for a day or two after drinking alcohol since probably it takes a day or two for the lining of the esophagus to heal.  Somebody needs to do a controlled study on this relationship.
A related discussion, pvc,s and diazapam was started.
A related discussion, PVC's and Alcohol was started.