Heart Disease Expert Forum
PVC'S and HORMONES

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

PVC'S and HORMONES

I have had PVC's since my pregnancy 9 years ago.  Had a full workup completed with a normal heart and normal arteries. My Cardiologist told me they may go away but to continue to follow up.
   I was relatively free after pregnancy and very infrequent for many years.  Recently they have returned with a vengence.  They are definitely related to my hormone fluctuations, just before ovulation and before menses.  They were so bad, bigeminal, that I headed to the ER to make sure nothing more serious was going on.  Again normal tests, normal stress echo and normal enzymes.  Plan to follow up with my Cardiologist next month.
  Serendipity hit me at work.  Another nurse was talking about her pvc's and how she finally had an ablation.  She and I compared symptoms and concurred that hormone cycles changes were more than a coincidence.  The symptoms of frequent pvc's can be debilitating.. have to deep breath, feel like your head is full of blood, feel like you might pass out, worried you might not wake up.  You feel the contraction and the pause, uncomfortable.  Is anyone researching this?  Beta blockers make it worse.  Slower heart rates make it worse, I can totally eliminate them with exercise and elevating my heart rate >112...saw it on my stress ekg.
So is there some hormone sensitive foci in my heart? I'm 53 and believe that I am closing in on menopause.  I feel this last episode was so much worse than ever before because my cycles are longer.  Hope you can shed some light on this, might be a great research project for some cardiologist.
PVC's are a common problem that affects almost everyone to some degree. While most people never even know that they have just had a PVC, some people, such as yourself, are extremely sensitive to them. Hormones can certainly affect your heart and very well may influence the amount of PVC's that you are experiencing.
I am a 49 year old female and also have PVCs and PACs. Yes, I have found that few days before my period begins and during, my PVCs/PACs seem to be more frequent and more intense. They are terribly frightening but all the physicians say the same thing - not to worry! It's difficult not to worry when if feels like your heart has stopped!
I am also turning 50 and my ob/gyn took me off the birth control in December.  My pvc's went crazy.  I have had them for 25 years off and on, but this hormonal shift from going off the pill caused my heart to skip constantly every day for hours.  Finally, 4 months later it has seemed to settle down a bit but they are still with me more than they ever were before.
I am convinced mine are related to hormones and stress.  It is such a crappy way to have to live.  Always worried, even when I am having a good day (a good day is about 50/day).
Jodie