Heart Disease Expert Forum
PVC's V-Tach

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

PVC's V-Tach

3 months ago, right after I crossed the finish line during a go kart race, I had a couple of skipped beats. I felt my pulse and felt nothing except for 1 beat. Then all went black and I passed out. Almost immediately I regained consciousness and my heart rate went back up to 170 (as was normal during this type of sports (racing)).

It wasn't the first time I felt a skipped beat during a race, but it was the first time I passed out. So I went to the ER and they did an ECG, some bloodwork, and all came out just fine. After this I went to 2 separate cardiologists and they had me do a stress test and wear a monitoring device for 48 hours. Again all was fine. The 2nd cardiologist even did an echo of my heart and ruled out any structural issues.

She adviced me to increase my cardio workout to train my heart even more, as I probably lacked the level of fitness needed to maintain the heavy load during races. This came to me as a bit of a surprise as I have been doing races since I was a little child.

She said that my skipped beats or runs of skipped beats (they sometimes are followed by a short run of faster beats which last only 10 seconds or so) will increase, but that they will decrease when my heart is up to full fitness.

Although 2 separate people both found nothing, I'm still a bit afraid to start racing again. It's probably more some sort of anxiety, but I'm afraid it could happen again (although I know they ruled out issues).

Someone has had something similar, or someone could give me some extra assurance?

Kind regards
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Generally speaking, any episode of passing out is of concern and needs to be evaluated. The echocardiogram and holter monitor were a good start. I would suggest you see a special type of cardiologist who specializes in arrhythmias called an electrophysiologist.