Heart Disease Expert Forum
PVC's & Asthma

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

PVC's & Asthma

Hi...
  A little more than three months ago, I was diagnosed with PVC's after a stress test.  I had an echocardiogram which came out alright and wore a cardiobeeper for a month, the results of which the doctor told me were fine.
  I was put on inderol, but found I had trouble breathing.  I went back to the doctor and he took me off of inderol and I have since found out I have asthma, which seems to be getting worse.
  Here are my questions:
  -- Could the inderol have triggered the asthma?  I am 35 years old and have never had any symptoms of asthma until now.
  -- Could the asthma have been the problem in the first place?  I was (and still am) very "winded" during some exhertion or when carrying something.   any stran on my shoulders seem to cause a problem.  Can asthma cause PVC's?
  I also have GERD, which the doctor told me could precipitate the asthma.  I've also read some of the postings on this site where people who have GERD also have PVC's.  My PVC's are less frequent than before, but often follow a meal.  I also become full on very little food.  Could that be a factor in my PVC's?
  Thanks for your time.

_

Dear Denise,
Thank you for your questions.  I have answered them below.
Q: Could the inderol have triggered the asthma? I am 35 years old and have never had any symptoms of asthma until now.
A: No.  Inderol will make asthma worse but it can not in itself cause asthma.

Q: Could the asthma have been the problem in the first place? I was (and still am) very "winded" during some exhertion or when carrying something. any strain on my shoulders seem to cause a problem.
A: Absolutely.   Hopefully as your asthma is better treated you will fell better.
Q: Can asthma cause PVC's?
A: No.  The inhalers used for asthma may increase PVC's however.
Q: I also have GERD, which the doctor told me could precipitate the asthma. I've also read some of the postings on this site where people who have GERD also have PVC's. My PVC's are less frequent than before, but often follow a meal. I also become full on very little food. Could that be a factor in my PVC's?
A: Yes.  You may want to discuss possible treatment options for your GERD with your doctor.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.