Heart Disease Expert Forum
PVCs and Fatigue

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

PVCs and Fatigue

My 18-year-old son was diagnosed with what our family physician called "super-PVCs." My son's holter monitor test revealed that he never had 5 normal heart beats in a row during the entire 24-hour period; all the rest were PVC-type beats. We were referred to a cardiologist who listened to his heart and ordered an echo. We were told that if the tech did not see any structural difficulties, we did not need to come back. There were no obvious problems in the echo and we never heard from the doctor again. Now my son is complaining of extreme fatigue: he gets up in the morning tired, drags through the day, takes a nap in the afternoon, and goes to bed exhausted. I know he is growing, but this does not seem normal to me. Would you recommend getting a second opinion? I only ask for this advice because we do not have insurance and I do not want to spend money on unnecessary doctor bills. At the same time, if my son's health depends on seeing another doctor, of course I would spend whatever it took to help him. Can you give me advice?

_

Dear  Ruth,
Thank you for your question. PVC's should not be causing such extreme fatigue.  Other conditions such as mono are more likely.  I would follow-up with your family doctor.  If money is a concern oftentimes your local university hospital is willing to work out reasonable payments for those without insurance.
Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.