PVCs and Hormones
I am 42 and have recently started experiencing PVCs around my period.   Do you think going back on Birth Control will help manage the PVCs.  My thought is it will level out my hormones.  My ob thinks it is worth a try.  I have had all the heart work ups from my caridiologist.  I had an ablation 18 months ago due to SVT (which worked).  I am now trying to live with palpitations as they come and go.

This discussion is related to PVC's and hormone flucuations.
Hi SWD,

It sounds like it's worth a try... Is this the only time you experience the PVCs?  .In my case, I don't think taking the BC pill ever made a difference, but it may work for you.
I've been bothered by PVCs for some time, most notably the past 6 months. I just went over my tests (echo and CT scan) with my cardiologist today, and nothing out of the ordinary (thank goodness!!), other than the terribly bothersome irregular heartbeat, especially when I drink caffeine or alcohol, or eat chocolate (ugh!). I did ask her if the PVC was gormonal, and she said it was very possible. She suggested beta blockers, for when I was experiencing a particularly bad episode. I'll give it a try, and post the results later.

The reason I wanted to reply to your post about using birth control pills is that I'm 49, perimenopausal for ~2 years, and about 18 months ago, my (former) OB-GYN thought that it would be a "good idea" for me to take the pill as a way to regulate my periods. I really had no complaints about being perimenopausal, other than not knowing when I'd be getting my period, so there was truly no reason for me to take it. I fit 2 of the 3 risk-factors (over 35, overweight; the only thing I don't do is smoke!), however, and within 6 weeks of taking the pill, i ended up in the hospital with DVT (deep venious thrombosis) - essentially, blood clots in my leg!!

I wanted to say that whatever the relief that the pill *may* provide for PVCs, perimenopause (heck, they're even prescribing it for acne!!), it is not worth the risk under any circumstances.

I hope my experience helps provide another viewpoint on the risks of taking the pill.

Best, :o)
Moneypenny1965