Heart Disease Community
PVCs and stomach gas/acid reflux/bowel movement!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Just a quick question.........

I have read many many times about trapped stomach gas and/or acid triggering PVCs and even SVT! I have also read that the vagus nerve can be involved when this happens. I read somewhere that if the vagus nerve is stimulated a PVC can be triggered.

I was wondering if anyone can explain how the vagus nerve may be irritated by gas/acid/indigestion. Also how is it true that the vagus nerve can be stimulated when you have a bowel movement? I have heard people say that they get PVCs when they have bowel movement.
Is there anyone who believes that their PVCs are triggered by gas or acid or even a bowel movement?!!

The vagus nerve innervates both the esophaugus and heart.  When the esophagus us irritable, it can aggravate the vagus nerve, which in turn can send extra impulses to the heart, stimulating the heart to fire extra beats.  Simply.  It's really cool, we just studied this in my biobehavioral health class!  :D

I get PACs when I'm overly full or if I have digestive issues (especially heartburn) going on.  Sometimes exercising after I eat can make me more prone to SVT so I try to eat a light snack (apples and peanut butter) for the carbs/protein I need for my workout, then I eat an actual meal 30-60 minutes after.
I have always maintained that my strange heart symptoms are linked to my digestion.

Sometimes I get this odd feeling in the front of my forehead, (Of all places...its weird, but it happens) along with fluttering heart symptoms .  This is instantly followed by the sensation of gas rising and when I belch the flutter ceases.

Straining or 'pushing' like you are passing a bowel movement can definately help to stop PVC's. So does massaging the carotid pulse in the neck.
truthfully, many people have this issue, but, most are unaware.
when you say alot of people have this issue but are unaware are you reffering to the indigestion and acid reflux? If you are then i totally agree. I never even realised that i was getting alot of acid reflux until my oesophagus was damaged!!
For all of you who are suffering as I and have been for several years here is my story.  I actually could feel the gas rising from the stomach before I could feel the pvc.  I went to the hospital and it scared the **** out of me as I thought I was having a heart attack.  In fact several times it was like someone hit me in the chest.  When they hooked me up to the monitor my heart was normal and then I would say hey doc here it comes and sure enough a pvc showed up.  The doctor was amazed and said you can feel that?  I said yep every time.  It was determined that I have reflux and a hiatus hernia so everytime gas get into my stomach I have those pvc's.  Sometimes they do not hit me at all and other times they run for several days.  Even on protonics, I still have them.  Also eating certain foods can really bring them on.  I am trying everything I can to find something to stop the gas, but so far no success.  Stress will also bring them on.
I too have this problem. About 20 minutes before I have a BM I am weak and the PVC's start with a vengeance. They go away within a few minutes of having a BM. I also have them if I am full or gassy, and exercise on a full stomach or over a heart rate fo about 110 beats per minute.
The docs say there is no connection between my digestion the PVC's, though and treat me as if I am an idiot when I bring it up.
I wish the medical community would acknowledge this! I am having gallbladder/upper GI problems and when the pain from that started, so did the palpitations. Almost to the day. I've asked my cardiologist and my Gastro doc about them being tied together and they both deny it! I think its related to the vegal nerve. When my stomach, esophagus spasms, I get the palpitations. It is really unnerving and very frightening for me, as I have never felt anything like it before. I've been to the ER twice because I thought I was having a heart attack. I had the EKG's, Stress Test, and even an arteriogram. All showing a perfectly healthy heart. Yet whle they are trying to figure out the gastric/gallbladder issues, I continue to have the palpitations. Anyone else have anything like this? Now it is becoming an anxiety issure because it scares me so bad when they start.
I am also having upper GI problems.  I also have arrthymia but have never really been bothered by it, but I am now concerned.  Doctors don't know what to make of my  GI "attacks" but they are happening more frequently and I can't keep saying "food poisoning".   I get pain in my upper GI followed by nausea, then throwing up and the last couple of times, passing out.  I am seeing a GI specialist but all the tests I have done have been normal (except my intestines were inflamed).  It is the passing out that is getting me really concerned as I didn't know it was coming on this last time and I fell and hit my head.  I am now reading up on the vegus nerve....also what are PACs and PVCs?  This is all new to me...thanks.
This is all making perfect sense to me. I just wish there was a solution. I have always had some digestive issues. I seem to get very filled with air. Several years ago, while starting menopause I had some real digestion problems and couldn't keep any food in. Also started having palpitations around the same time. Then I got pericarditis and recently am having episodes of atrial fibbrillation. I have periodic attacks of heartburn. Right now I'm on the 3rd day of what feels like heartburn and I can feel it in my throat, I'm assuming it is reflux. I've never had a doctor make this connection. I have felt for a long time, when I eat and when I am full I feel alot of heart fluttering and racing. Does anyone have any suggestions about what to eat when you have these symptoms? I feel like I need protein and am hungry but I know it will make things worse.Of course all of this is anxiety provoking. It's like a viscious cycle.
I have been experiencing this since I was pregnant with my son.  It started when I was about 5 months pregnant (right at the time you start to get big).  I had sharp pains in my sternum to the point they thought I had blood clots in my lungs and they made me get a v/q scan while being pregnant.....pretty scary.  Any way after I delivered I still had the pains, it wasn't until my son was almost 1 year old that they thought maybe gastro problems.  I found out I have a hiatal hernia and I had to have my gallbladder removed.  I was in the hospital with fluctuating pulse rate and BP, only to have every single cardiac test come back negative.  My cardio says, it is GI related and my Gastro says it is cardiac.  Why can't either one give me a definitive answer.  I hope and pray it is not cardiac but can hernia symptoms really cause heart attack symptoms?  I'm just glad I have found people that actually have the same symptoms as me and with no cardiac problems.  Thank you and hopefully we can all convince out docs that we are not crazy and to get to the bottom of this for all of us!!!

Shell

Shell
Also, I forgot to mention...I was diagnosed in the hospital with vasovagal reflux, eventhough they couldn't figure out why.  I've read that the vagus nerve pretty much controls our whole entire body...throw that out of whack and watch out
Follow up. I had my gallbladder removed after a HYDA scan revealed it was funcioning at less than 10 percent. I felt SO MUCH better the day of and day after the surgery, then the palpations continued even worse than before, with a new twist. Now I have ringing in my ears and get dizzy when I stand up or sit down. They diagnosed it as orthostatic hypotension. Will it ever end?????? I'm so tired of being "not right", I was a very healthy person before the gastro/gallbladder thing started.
I discovered a link between digestion and my cardio by accident.  Some years ago I started taking a flavonoid supplement to control my cholesterol and it stopped my chronic indigestion, reflux, and a 10 year case of Irritable Bowel diarrhea.

In some way I am glad to see my digestive/heart problems are not unique to me.
It has been three weeks since I had my gallbladder removed. The blood pressure issues have gotten better (After a tilt-table-test, they confirmed I do not have orthostatic hypotension), I still have the extra heart beats, but not as often, maybe twice a week. I can feel them before they come. It feels like a gas bubble or an empty dull pain in my stomach, then the irregular heart beats start. If I eat something or get up and move around, they go away. It still blows my mind that the medical community will not look into this connection further.
I can sure relate to everyone here. I, too, get those nasty PVC's especially when I feel bloated, usually after eating ice cream. tonight, for example, I ate a fairl small meal, but, could feel that 'bloat' feeling like air was building up, sure enough about a half hour into it, I had a nasty bout with the PVC's, they scare me so badly I get hot in the head and fear I will pass out, though I never have. For a while, I did not have any, now, they are sneaking back. I have had a bad cold and coughed my head off and I think this has activated my hiatal hernia, because when that is pulled up, my PVC act up too. But, they sure are scary. The more "full" I feel, the more apt I am to have these dang things. In fact, I can feel so bloated, I get short winded, but, when it subsides, I am fine again. Dog-gone gas and PVC's. I wish they would just leave us alone.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Susie
I have had bouts with pvcs every since i found out i had Graves disease, which for those who don't know  my thyroid went bad.Two years this next Oct. i had a radiation pill administered and it killed my thyroid. Before this i lost 90lbs my hair started falling out, i thought i was having
a heart attack and at the ER they diagnosed the thyroid. Anyways,to make a long story short i didn't think i could be in any worse shape than before the thyroid was radiated but boy was i wrong! I am about at my witts end and after about ten ER visits and fifty drs. visits i think i know more than the drs. I think that everyone is on the right track with the pvcs being diet related. Ive have numerous EKGS, one echo, non stress  test, chest xrays, blood work ups on the heart so many times i can't count, two halter monitors and they have actually caught the pvcs on the EKG machine and heart monitor. Now,what i have mentioned since the beginnings of this pvc game to every dr.i see is that there is a correlation to when i eat and the pvcs start. I believe food starts to break  down anywhere from 45 minutes to a couple hours or maybe even faster depending on what you eat. For me like clock work this is when the pvcs start. The problem here is the drs. don't believe me and have actually said pvcs have nothing to do with eating. Mine are currently getting worse and i think it is one of two things. Gallbladder is my first guess because i do have some obvious symptoms and another possibility is something called a cardiac sphincter (there are other names it is known by) Its located at the top of your stomach and i think it gets irritated and can throw the heart into pvcs. Everyone keep an eye on when the pvcs start and see what you come up with. I really want answers and have quit smoking and all caffeine and am being a good girl,but my main objective is to be a live girl.
Any comments welcome,by the way i am just 38
Thanks, Mickey
hi
  anyone here think it might be mitral valve prolapse syndrome? i have huge amount of seeming unrelated symptoms : acid reflux, ibs, chest pain, heart palps, dizziness,shortness of breath ........turns out they are all caused by an abnormality in my autonomic nervous system ...did echo test - they found the valve prolapse and confirmed what my dr. already suspected ... mitral valve prolapse syndome... just thought this might help someone here ... i know it helped me to know that i wasnt going crazy or dying lol .
                                                            hope you feel better !
                                                                           Kerry
I was also diagnosed with a mitral valve prolapse 30 years ago - I had lots of pvc's, dizziness.  I kept telling the docs that my symptoms were  related to gas in my stomach.  Nobody believed me.  I still have the symptoms, plus I get lots of twitches and jolts.  I still believe it's related to gas.  As for the MVP, I was retested a few years ago and they now say I don't have it!  Good thing I didn't go on the beta blockers they tried to make me take 30 years ago.  Those drugs are dangerous!  I still have found no doc that will even talk to me about gas and pvcs, dizziness, jolts, thumps and twitches.  But I KNOW they're related to gas.  One thing that's essential to me when I get all these symptoms is to EAT.  If I eat I burp a lot and when the gas starts coming up the symptoms subside.  Sometimes it takes a long time, but that's how I get rid of them - by eating something hearty like a piece of whole wheat bread with peanut butter.
I agree that there is definitely a gas connection. I started having digestive issues, and a few weeks after that I started having palpitations. Not long after the pvc's started. I find that when I eat complex carbs like whole wheat, fresh green veggies, my pvc's are much worse. I told my gastro this and I was told that stomach problems don't cause heart problems and that I should meditate. Anyone with advice for us?
Its All gas Related. Try Treating with Gas Relief Medication. Works for Me Doc said it was Acid Flex. Wrong i call It Gas Flex. Burnt my Throat, Heart Accellerations Was hooked up to Ekg as Well. Nothing found wrong.And all The Terrible Anixty Attacks. Doctors Need to figure this one out! But i know its Gas, Air Gurgling in The stomach is a Sure Sign. Treat with gas X or other Relief. I even stop all the Reflex Medicine. hope it works for you all.
So glad I found this site, I'm starting to go crazy with these PVC's. I started in with them a few years ago after having a Sigmoidscopy because of IBS. Dr put me on Topril XL (beta blocker) for 1 year til I read the side effects that can actually make PVC's worse, so I got off them and stayed off all caffeine. I've been great until recent when I was having a dry cough so Dr changed my usual Lisinopril (high blood pressure) back to a beta blocker. Well I also had a very bad night of IBS, worse I ever had with wanting to pass out and sweating so bad. I decided from then on to change my diet, NO more fats or dairy, seems to work. I had a scheduled apt for another Sigmoid cause Dr thought I had a polyp so I had to do the enemas and here comes my PVC's again...Yes I believe these are gas related or to the digestive system, has to be. I got sick with the flu 2 days ago so have nothing in me until last night had some soup and boy did I get bad PVC's, gas and reflux. I took a Zannax to get some sleep, woke up fine until I ate a little soup again this morning and boy here they come along with the reflux and burping. Now I'm at my wits end and don't know what to eat, trying to relax but it's so hard. I think someone mentioned peanut butter on bread so I'll try that. My husband gave me one of his pepcid ac. My poor body has been thru the ringer, anyone got a new one for me???? Thanks good luck you all!!
I have suffered from skipped heartbeats and fluttering for the last several years.  I do have a mild case of mitral valve prolapse and a hiatal hernia.  So far only 2 doctors agree with me that this is caused by gas/bloating.  They are my cardiologist and my chiropractor.  My chiropractor really helps by treating my hiatal hernia.  There's nothing the cardiologist can do because she says my heart is normal.  It's so scary when I get the skips.  And I can deal with them okay when it's just one at a time, but when I have a chain of them it makes me extremely nervous.  And the fluttering doesn't happen as often as the skips, but they are really scary when I get them.  It feels as if my heart is gushing instead of beating.  I truly believe that gas pushes everything up and affects my heart. I get relief when I burp.  I just wish there was something to fix this.  My cardiologist says yoga should help with the vagus nerve.  I have been feeling like I don't want to go out of the house because I don't want an "attack" when I'm out.  I feel like lately I get it when I'm in the car.  And it's hard to fix my position in the car so I sometimes get the chain of them while driving.  At least when I'm home I can lay down or move in different positions. I definitely get them if I don't eat on time.  I get them when I'm rushing around or nervous.  I get them before my menstrual cycle and ovulation time.  And after I eat sometimes.  And I'm tired of it all!!! :(
Oh, and I have reflux....when I was on Nexium I didn't get as many attacks.  Since I've been off of it I get them more frequently...just about everyday.  And foods like tomatoes and sauce give me problems.
Oh and one more thing....if I don't drink enough water or if I don't get enough sleep I have episodes (either skips or fluttering).
I have the same issues, I have been to the heart doc's, worn heart monitors, had ekg's, all of them said that my heart was perfect. It started when I was 15 years old, and continues today. I'm 31 and I have still have skipped heartbeats and fluttering. I get them when I may have to use the bathroom, or even lay down to sleep. No doc, has found anything to help. I've seen plenty. I'm a very healthy woman and live well. This is always scary. But so far I can say, that nothing more has happened. Its just having to deal with it thats the tough part. You always wonder if this may be it. I am glad I'm not the only one. So, I have went back to college and now (yes, even at my age) am in pre-med school. I'm going to go all the way and see if I can find the answers myself. I'm just tired of not knowing. I do shadowing at the mizell hospital, but its just the ER. Even doc's there have no clue. Next year I'll have a sem at UAB for the summer term, where for part of the sem I'll be at its teaching hospital that med students attend, so maybe someone will have answers. If not, I have many years of college ahead. I hope the answer is out there.
Also, I don't take any type of meds. None at all.
You know, those doctors that say it is NOT related to gas and such are just not listening. I mean, look how many of us on this forum alone have this horrendous problem, and I know there are thousands out there that have it too. So, if we all have them and tell our docs, then why don't they believe us. I am so tired of hearing "well, maybe, but, I don't know, that is interesting"

Last night, I had a bad tummy ache and I took some Tums, well, the TUMS must have gotten the gas to move, because about five minutes after, I had a 20 second bout with those horrible beats. It went like this: normal beat, normal beat,  skip, 3 fast beats, skips, then back to normal. It did this a few times, but, it gave me an anxiety attack and my head got hot and I was in a sweat. Just now, I had a couple and feel like more want to come, but, I have just eaten and I am slouching in my chair. Man, I wish this would stop.
I forgot to mention. I have had an ECHO in October, and worn the 24 hour monitor last month, they were both fine, so was the blood work. I STILL say it is GAS, pure and simple.
GMC923 & rosetheruler

You both are describing the same thing that I've had since I can remember (maybe 5-8 years old). I'm 32 now and still have them occassionally, but since I've been dealing with them my whole life, they don't bother me as much anymore. When that 'skipped beat' feeling occurs, often we get anxious, which ultimately amplifies the feeling because our heart beats faster with anxiety. When you learn to brace yourself for them and they don't scare you anymore, they are more mild and subside within seconds to minutes. I'm actually a 3rd year medical student and can understand the frustrations I hear on this blog with the doctors. Doctors are very out of touch with what we are really looking for sometimes, which is simple reassurance. They are in the business of ruling out severe conditions that could be associated with certain symptoms, and as long as they know it's not something 'severe', they often don't really care what it is. Many doctors think their only job is to rule out major conditions and move on to the next patient, but reassuring a patient and really listening to what their concerns are is the next part and can often be what 'fixes' the patient from the standpoint of providing peace of mind. When the doctor rules out heart problems, they have a peace of mind, but we are still nervous because we know 'something' is happening in these episodes. The doctors need to understand that providing themselves with peace of mind does nothing for the mindset of the patient. Doctors think that the patient is supposed to 'feel' reassured based on the calm, collective demeanor of the doctor, after he or she rules out major heart pathology. Truth is, we don't take clues from our doctor's demeanor because we fear that they are missing something, because they still haven't acknowledged that something is happening to us in these episodes. That is the arrogance that is the entire medical field. It has me seriously contemplating quitting and going to law school and joining my wife in the legal field.  

Now here is my medical opinion: Pressure from gas, bloating etc. can get trapped in the fundus of the stomach (look up a picture on google to find the fundus). Since the fundus is on the left side of the body, and gas rises, it pushes up from the stomach through the diaphragm (it doesn't penetrate these structures, it only pushes on them like if you take your fist and push it into an inflated balloon). This can irrate the vagus nerve, or even the phrenic nerve that controls the diaphragm, if it puts pressure on these major nerves. Irritation of these nerves can cause 'odd' firing patterns that influence the heart in the ways described. But, I think more importantly the cause is related to that same gas in the fundus pushing on the diaphragm in such a way that it momentarily pinches off the aorta where the aorta crosses the diaphragm to enter the abdominal cavity. This is why people with a hiatal hernia experience these symptoms. The bulging herniated portion of the stomach is actually in the chest cavity. Normally just the esophagus would be in that location, but the esophagus is now scrunched upward. The bulging hernia can then put direct pressure on the aorta before it enters the diaphragm to lead to the abdominal cavity. Pinching off the aorta, even momentarily, can cause your blood to back up in the left ventricle (the last chamber of the heart before the blood is pumped out into the body). In order to get rid of that backed-up blood, the heart beats a few quick extra beats to clear that blood, to make room for more blood that is coming from the left atrium to fill the left ventricle. The blood actually gets backed-up all the way into the lungs even, which causes you to feel like your breath is taken away during one of these episodes. All this is perfectly harmless, but definitely can scare the **** out of us. Learn to control your anxiety during these episodes, as to not put more work on your heart, when it is already working overtime to pump the additional blood away because of a back up in the system, resulting from the kinked aorta near the diaphragm.

So see, there is something going on. Rest assured that what I've described isn't going to kill you. But, also don't ignore symptoms either. The people on this blog seem more in tune with their bodies than maybe the average population, so use that to your advanced. But more importantly, don't let this gift get the best of you. Stay in tune, but learn to not go overboard with anxiety, because the anxiety itself can lead to pathology (medical problems). Take care, and good health to all.  
The part I describe about the blood backing up into the lungs. I don't mean actually in the lungs like it sounds the way I wrote it. I actually mean in the vessels that come from the lungs that bring oxygenated blood to the left atrium, after gas exchange has taken place in the lungs. Peace.
I want to join this conversation because I know there is a direct link to from digestive issues and heart rythm issues,

I have had pvc's for many years,  when I eat alot and get indigestion my heart races for a few hours and I will get pvc's

I have had 2 A fib episodes, once after I vomited and the other after I ate to much too fast and bent over.     My dr looks at me like I am crazy when I tell him I think my issues are vagal nerve related.    

I just can't believe how many of us have the same issues but yet cardiologost are so easy to dismiss it
I have been diagnosed with PAC's during pregnancy when i wore a halter monitor because my heart just started racing one morning and skipping beats.  It went on for hours, went to emergency and at that point they got so bad i could hardly walk and felt like i was surely going to pass out.  this occurred at approximately 28th week of pregnancy.  I noted that the night before I ate a huge steak which didn't digest well overnight.  before this i would notice them here and there and usually associated them with some type of sensitivity in the stomach area as a result of digestion.  as it turned out besides being diagnosed with benign PAC's, nothing wrong!  the rest of the pregnancy was spent with daily visitations from these damn things.  at this point in pregnancy my digestion was quite bad, almost non existent at times and like all you others i am seeing a link between digestion and these little buggers!  My baby is now 4 months, and i am still getting them, i can almost expect them to occur as soon as the digestion process starts to kick in.  I truly empathise with you all in that they can make you feel like your whole life is clouded with this ominous  uncertainty which really brings on the panic!  I hate these things and am now researchiing on the net, and diligently watching my own habits to see what brings them on.  I am also asking  a number of alternate health providers, naturopath etc what they think since their approach to health is alot different to doctors.  Since these things are controlling my life so much and affecting my happiness, i will be regularly posting with anything i can come up with.  
This is definitely caused (at least in my case) from the vagal nerve.  I suffered with the same arrhythmia problem for years, just after eating during digestion or consuming alcoholic beverages, and all of the doctors I spoke with never even mentioned the vagal nerve as being causative for the skipped beats or PVC's.  There seems to be VERY little research in this area---and diagnosis or knowledge  connecting the two also seems to be very rare.

So, I took matters into my own hands after doing MUCH research through forums such as this one.  Although I don't suffer from GERD or any other type of digestive disorders or acid reflux, I decided to try an acid reducing over the counter medication.  THIS WAS THE MAGIC BULLET!  75mg of Ranitidine (Zantac)----one first thing in the morning and one before dinner at night, and the arrhythmias WENT AWAY COMPLETELY.

Your results may vary, so please don't take this as medical advice--I just wanted to let you and the group know (and the MD's and cardiologists if they are reading this)  that there is a definite connection between digestive tract acid, vagal nerve stimulation (or destimulation) and heart arrhythmias.  

Good luck, and if you decide to try this and it works, God Bless.
I am experiencing many of the symptoms that all of you have posted and just wanted to tell my story and hope that it helps, though I have not yet found a cure. I agree that there is a definite connection between reflux, stomach issues and PVC's. I have been suffering with this for two years and know where it all began for me anyway. There is a history of heart problems in my family and this had always held some anxiety for me but about two years ago I had a really bad, very real dream that I was having a heart attack. Soon after I became hypersensitive to my body and started to have anxiety and panic attacks, trips to the ER that showed no heart problems. Everyone told me to just relax which alot of you may know is much easier said then done. Granted I realize that hese early episodes where brought on by anxiety, but this did not stop the anxiety which became worse. This led to acid reflux, HTN, and now PVC's. I have always been very active and work out and I have noted PVC's during workouts followed by reflux episodes within thrity seconds or a minute after the PVC's. I feel like there is a heart stoppage of sorts, I call it a 'falling out', I feel like I lose my breath for a second, heart definitely misses a beat then kicks in, and it is always followed by reflux. My doctors, much like many of your docs, dismiss my claims but I am in agreement with you all. I have had two stress tests that showed nothing abnormal, echo, halter, all normal, but the symptoms continue. I know I need to control the anxiety to calm the stomach and stop the PVC's, but can't seem to break the cycle. I know this does not shed much light on a cure but I just wanted to share my story, my life has been hell since this started and needed to vent. Thank you for listening. Also wanted to ask for some advice, I have been Hypertensive since this started, should I avoid using a beta blocker. I am on xanax, doesn't really help, protonix seems to work for awhile and then the reflux will come back. My Doctor wants me to try Lexipro but not to thrilled with idea of going on an SSRI. Again thanks for letting me vent Doug.
Hi all! I thought I have to write a few words too. It has been bothering me for a while. I seems to have all the symptoms described above. I am 100% sure it is related to bloating and that is related to stress. A few years ago I was going though a very stressful period and noticed the arrhythmia. It would not last long, only a second or two. With the same feeling as if your breath was taken away for a second. It scared me a lot. I went to a doctor and he told me it was not related to my previous problems (that caused the stressful situation) Told me that everyone has them every now and then, I am just more aware of my body. I calmed down and the symptoms were gone. Earlier this year I felt very stressed out at work. I think the stress brought on a case of arrhythmia once again and that opened the vicious circle. This time however I thought it was heart related. It brought on the anxiety attacks and it all got worst. To the point where I went to a psychologist, who helped me to manage my anxiety. After this I went onto a long holiday and managed to relax completely. The arrhythmia  was gone almost completely until I returned home. Got into a small stressful situation and it was back. From then on I get very nervous when it happens and am worried it will happen again. I don't have anxiety attacks, thanks to my psychologist, but can get very nervous for a few minutes, which doesn't help. However, after seeing this forum, I definitely calmed down. I will discuss this issue with my practitioner, but will be much calmer when approaching the issue. As all of you, I was always sure it had something to do with my digestion , but was worried I had a heart problem. (not funny at the age of 30) And my stomach does get a bit funny when I'm nervous. I hope someone can post some alternative remedies or ways to get rid of the symptoms. I, too started yoga (yesterday :D ) so I will let you know if that helped. Keep calm and relax! (take deep breaths from the stomach, this always helps with anxiety)
just a note: i do have quite a healthy died, and don't take any medication whatsoever. and i noticed it gets worst when I'm tired or siting in a funny position, but it is not said it doesn't happen in other situations.
i have the same problem like acidity, gas , and non stop palpitation from 5 days what should i do to reduce it??
I have the same thing  ... Every time i get full or gassy it all starts.!!! My doctor said that stomach and card are linked.Awsom-  Dr.!!   i'll try that gas x... Hope it works...... PS   ...YOU ARE NOT CRAZY.. There out there Just keep looking... GReat im getting them now... bye people..    
http://www.digestivedistress.com/files/graphics/stomac1.gif
Definition.—Palpitation is the consciousness of the heart's action, which may be normal in power and in time of beat, though there is increased power and frequency, attended by more or less anxiety and distress.

Etiology.—The fact that "delirium cordis," a condition of extreme disturbance, frequently exists in heart-troubles, and yet the patient is entirely unconscious of the existence of any disturbance, while at other times the patient complains of great distress from the severe palpitation when an examination reveals the heart's action to be normal in power and frequency, shows conclusively that it may be nervous in character.

Among the causes that may be mentioned as giving rise to palpitation, are:

>>>>Dyspepsia.—Indigestion, I believe, is responsible for more cases of functional heart-disease than all other causes combined. The distention of the stomach by gas, presses against the sensitive nerves of the heart, which gives rise, not only to palpitation, but irregular heart action as well.<<<<<

Nervous Lesions.—Emotional excitement, especially the distressing emotions, such as fear, grief, and despondency, are causes;

It also occurs in neurasthenia. Hysteria is not infrequently accompanied by palpitation. Sexual excess, especially masturbation, is another common cause of cardiac palpitation.

Stimulants.—The use or abuse of tea and coffee, as well as alcohol, will cause an irritable and excessive action. Tobacco may be included in the same list. The irritant action from a poorly elaborated blood, as found in anemia, will also give rise to this condition; prolonged fever gives rise to palpitation in the same way.

Reflexes.—A common, though often overlooked, source of irritation is rectal troubles. Hemorrhoids, fissures, fistules. and papillae may give rise to such nerve-waste as to produce their reflex influence on the heart. Disease of the uterus, ovaries, and urethra may act as indirect factors in the same way. Chronic valvular lesions, as well as some other organic lesions, may give rise to palpitation, though not frequently.

Symptoms.—If the attack be mild in character, there may be but little change in the character of the pulse, the force and frequency being found, upon examination, to be normal. The consciousness of the patient, of his heart's action, however, renders him nervous, and a worried or anxious look tells of his mental discomfort.

Where the attack is severe, the heart beats tumultously, and the patient feels the impulse against the chest-walls, and often hears the sound of his own heart-beat, while the physician may see the pulsation if the chest-walls be thin, and, by placing the hand over the heart, detect its throbbing character. There may be a choking or smothering sensation, especially if the subject be hysterical, and the patient, alarmed and anxious, fears impending dissolution.

Sometimes a cold sweat occurs; there is pain in the precordial region, rapid breathing, the extremities become cold, the eyeballs protude, there is a ringing in the ears, vertigo, and an attack may terminate in unconsciousness. If the patient be neurasthenic, an attack may be followed by the passing of a copious quantity of clear urine.

The attacks are usually intermittent and paroxysmal in character, though they may be more or less constant.

Physical Signs.—Inspection will often reveal a visible and forceful impulse, and also throbbing of the superficial vessels.

By placing the fingers or the hand over the region of the heart, a heaving and throbbing impulse is felt, while the pulse at the wrist is full and bounding or sharp and frequent, sometimes quite irregular.

Auscultation shows the first sound magnified; it is loud, abrupt, short, and may be heard without applying the ear to the chest.

Percussion may reveal an increased dullness, though usually the dullness is natural.

Diagnosis.—The condition, palpitation, is readily recognized by the complaint of the patient, and the symptoms already named, and a careful physical examination will reveal whether it be a neurosis or due to organic disease.

Prognosis.—The prognosis is favorable as to life, and also as to permanent results, where the causes can be removed. When due, however, to epilepsy, prolonged masturbation, spinal irritation, and such causes as frequently do not yield to treatment, the outlook is not encouraging.

Treatment.—The patient's mental disturbance must be quieted by positive assurances that an unfavorable termination will not occur. It is well to put the patient to bed, enjoin quiet, and have anything that would tend to excite him removed from his presence.

After a hopeful and reassuring talk, place the patient on pulsatilla, if the sensation of impending death predominates, or if there be a constant dread of an indefinable character present; in these cases pulsatilla will give good results. Ten to twenty drops of the specific tincture in a half glass of water, a teaspoonful every one, two, or three hours, as the case may demand. If there be precordial oppression, with a sense of suffocation, add ten drops of specific lobelia to the above remedy, and give every twenty, thirty, or sixty minutes. If there be pain present, alternate the above with bryonia or macrotys, ten drops of each to water four ounces, and give teaspoonful every hour.

Where there is great excitement, the patient is flushed, nervous, and restless, gelsemium, ten to thirty drops to half a glass of water, will be of good service. Cactus is a good remedy when the heart's action is weak. When the force is violent, veratrum, thirty to sixty drops to half a glass of water, will be the better remedy.

After an attack is over, the treatment will be directed to overcoming the exciting cause.

When due to indigestion, the diet should be regulated, fluids at meal-times forbidden, and the various dyspeptic conditions corrected.

If anemia is the exciting cause, our attention is directed to furnishing a better quality and quantity of blood.

If alcohol, tea, coffee, or tobacco are responsible, they are to be absolutely prohibited. Where due to rectal irritation, or ovarian or uterine trouble, these wrongs must be corrected before a cure can be effected.

Regular habits should be enjoined, all forms of dissipation corrected, and for persons of sedentary habits an out-of-door life advised. A trip, lasting several weeks or months, where the attention of the patient is turned from self to new objects, new faces, new scenes, will often accomplish far more than will the administration of drugs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Eclectic Practice of Medicine, 1907, was written by Rolla L. Thomas, M. S., M. D.

http://www.henriettesherbal.com
I also connect gastric upsets, gas etc with PVC's.   I also am a "reactive" person and feel panic when these PVC's begin....especially if there are many in a row.   I actually got light headed once and that really frightened me.   I find that popping about three Gas-X pills and an acid blocker does the trick.   I also find GREAT relief from heating up my Bed Buddy and holding it on my abdomen.

Also, I try to remind myself that my cardiologist told me that PVC's are harmless. and not to worry.
Easier said than done sometimes.
Wow, after reading all of your posts i dont feel alone anymore. This type of gas thing happens to me alot. Gets my body all panicked out. Then brings on anxiety. I can feel the gas exploding in my stomach then travels up to my throat and belch. I was at the gym doing cardio and lifting when I felt that I had to use the bathroom my body wigged out and I had to stop my gym session to handle business. Once I used teh bathroom I felt like 85 percent better. I have good days and I have bad days I guess just depends on what I eat. Not sure what causes this but my daughter who is 4 complains that her stomach hurts too so its just sad we all have to deal with this, guss just apart of life. Peace, and god bless us all.
Here's some good info on possible causes for the gas and stomach problems. I've been having gas and PVC problems as well.

[url=http://www.medicinenet.com/small_intestinal_bacterial_overgrowth/article.htm]Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth
(SIBO) [/url]
I'll tell you... I'm very thankful for these forums.  I have had some serious acid reflux the past two weeks and have developed what, today, my doctor called PACs.  She thinks they are probably benign but I think they're scary as hell!  I'm wearing the Holter Monitor as I type this... 40 hours to go.  Ha ha!    I know many of you can relate to that.

I was probably close to a panic attack wondering what was wrong with my heart until read all of your posts.  So thank you!!

I got a prescription and started today on Omeprazole for my acid reflux (or whatever I have).  So, in 3 or 4 days, hopefully it will kick in and we'll see if that also cures my PACs.  I sure hope so!!!

I'll post again after Easter and let you know how things are going.  Keep posting your stories!!
I have also had PVCS (skips and thumps) for a while now.  It seems they start when I am under a lot of stress and also when my stomach acts up.  I am on my second week of an attack and have been feeling gas rolling around in my stomach etc. when I burp I get some relief.  Just started back on Pepcid and am taking antacids also, ginger ale seems to help. They drive me crazy and I do get anxious and then I have to talk to myself to calm down. I worry every day about this.
Cardiologist agrees that a lot of stomach problems can affect the heart.
I also read a passage in Dr. Claire Weekes book "Peace from Nervous Suffering" on this subject and she explains that the skipped heartbeats and thumping could be caused by wind around the heart.  
I have had Crohn's disease for 10 years or so now, and have had PVC's, on and off, for the about the same amount of time.

As you can imagine the Crohn's causes me various GI related problems. One of the more day to day symptoms has been bloating and trapped wind. When I first got bad PVS's I took myself to hospital, thinking I was having a heart attack! Since then I have noticed over the years that the worse the wind was, the worse the PVC's would be.

More recently I have been to the Dr and told him that my PVC's were linked to my stomach problems, but he looked at me like I was crazy. Glad finally to find some evidence that backs up my own theory, and to see many other independent people that have arrived at the same conclusion.

I have kind of learnt to deal with/ignore this problem now. Have to say, strong peppermint tea helps me a lot when I feel bloating coming on. Take it regularly or just try and have it 30min before you eat. I prefer to use 2 tea bags in a mug, fill with cold water and whack in microwave for 3mins. It makes an extra strong brew.

Good luck all.
I also have the the gastro and cardio connection. I have felt for years the connection between the gas, bloating, bowel movements with irregular heart beats, flutters and skips. It is very nerve racking. I was on meds for anxiety for a while and that did seem to help, I just don't want to have to take that type of med the rest of my life. It is sooooo frustrating to go through all the testing only to be told everything is within normal limits!!!!!
I have had EKG's, ECHOS, Halters, Stress tests, nuclear imaging-all came back with normal limits.
I have also had Endoscopy, Colonoscopy, Abdominal CT with more contrast than anyone would ever need. And again-all came back within normal limits. Some gastritis, hiatel hernia and Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
The doctors frustrate you the most! They just don't get the connection!! There really must be something that can be done to stop this syndrome.
I have found one thing that helps is a tea by Celestial Seasons called "Tummy Tamer". It has Peppermint, Fennel and Chamomille in it. I drink it every morning and sometimes in the evening when the gas & boating start up. I also take omeprazole and it helps to keep the acid down.I do agree with the poster that a heating pad on the abd. helps also.
It is just so frustrating to have to be aware of what you eat, the position that you sit in, moving too quickly...... UGH!
Maybe one of us will find a Dr. that cares enough to get to the bottom of this for us.
If anyone knows of a Dr. that recognizes this connection and treats it and is in the Western Washington area please post and let me know,
I think the key may well be the hiatel hernia. At least with what I've experianced I got the impression that something was directly irritating the heart by direct contact. With the hernia (which most likely would be somewhat behaving during the test) it could shift further up and cause the esophagus or the stomach to come in contact with the heart irritating different focci in the atria.  
I'm amazed that the doctors are so cavalier when they dismiss the connection between stomach and PVCs. With so many hundreds of people knowing for sure that there definitely is a connection, I thinks it's foolish for the medical community to not pay attention. Their lack of concern stems from two main facts:

1. They pronounce that the skipped beats are "normal."
2. It's not happening to them; otherwise they wouldn't be able to concentrate on much else.

A few years ago when I spent 12 days in the hospital for removal of half my colon, the heart monitor showed PVCs every six beats just like clockwork. When asked several times if I "had any heart problems" I would point urgently at the heart monitor. Their reaction was a smile or a laugh.

After I awoke from surgery I soon became aware of something; the PVCs were gone, which was good because I had plenty else to worry about. My theory is that the NG tube that was evacuating amazing quantities of stomach fluids was responsible for the cessation of the PVCs. For about three weeks afterward I was free of the PVCs but eventually they returned. I really hesitate to go on some type of acid reducers but I may have to throw in the towel. I also notice that as a last resort fasting for a couple of days seems to knock out the PVCs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roemheld_syndrome

..."old skool" doctors still now about this - the computer gen x docs dismiss it but it oviously exists......take a gastro and see if you have a hernia.....gasX sometimes helps so does nexium but both are no long time solutions. beta blockers als help a bit since they make it harder for the heart to go supersonic speed. most importantly do not panic!! this is not life threatening and fear makes it 10x worse......i have all these symptoms too. came with a myocarditis...inflammation went away after 6 months but pvc's and occasional artrial fibrillation stay with me.......look into low grade inflammation of the digestive system, regular bowel movements are especially important.....good luck!
Many of you have an uppr GI connection/trigger for your PVCs.  I definately relate...but with me, it's a LOWER GI thing.  A full bowel - and the soon-to-be-required-bowel movement is the scenario that triggers my PVCs.  I offer you all REASSURANCE.  We are connected by a REAL set of circumstances that is yet to be thoroughly "connected" by physician community.  That's OK.  And so are you.  And so am I.  We must mainatin vigilence...we must be certain that our issues are not from a more severe cause.  With each physical & check-up...and with each new day we manage the condition.  Continue to share.  And know that many people battle much more terrible issues.  Learn to embrace the condition as a part of you...being always willing to try reasonable changes in diet/exercise/remedy.  Oh...and may I finally add...that consistent cardio exercise and a diet of low food volume are my keys to managing this "condition".  regards,
You know. I will go through my experiences with you. I am English (for the record) with private medical insurance. I have been suffering SVT since I put on weight, but never realised the correlation with my acid reflux. I have a camera down throat exploration (oesophegoscopy) and they found gastritus (inflamation (inflammation) of the stomach). Years go by and the stress got worse and worse. I became pretty desperate and didn't know which way to turn. Was my stress causing my acid. Was my acid causing my my stress? Lack of sleep, discomfort, etc.

Well. Here's the deal. I started back on 2 x 40mg nexium (esomaprozole) per day, 1 when I wake up and 1 12 hours later. Bottom line is, my stomach has calmed down, the pressure has gone that was causing my heart to feel like it was going to go into another SVT and I feel transformed. Reality is, if you like I have stomach problems, take the medication and work on your eating and lifestyle. Maybe one day you can come off them, but I learned the hard way that I cannot just 'get better because I am tough and I can cope without the meds'. My SVT was 196bpm and scared the daylights out of me. But it has only started to reoccur because I stopped taking the meds.
I have noticed the PVC's  off and on for sometime but really much worse since my job is ending.I use to have rapid heart beats with anxiety but these are different.I think they are tied to my nerves but I notice the give away feeling when I et a PVC over my gallbladder especially when it is full or gassy so I can relate.
So how is everyone? No post since 2008. :)  I have the same symptoms of GERD and tachycardia with PVCs. I was put on Prilosec twice a day and that helped my tachy a lot.
Your doctor is wrong. But, I understand that this connection between digestion and heart is hard to believe unless you've experienced it. I have the same thing happen to me as you do. I get the PVCs before I even feel the bowel movement coming.
I tend to agree with you. I can tell I have gas backed up under my rib cage pushing out. I have had so much in there it felt like I had a basketball in there pushing out my rib cage. When that happens PVC's all over the place, and I think it causes an overcrowding of the heart and sends it into a funky rhythm. And they don't stop until I take Gas-X or something similar and decompress my upper abdomen. I have wondered if I have a structual issue with my small intestestines to cause this phenomenum. The PVC's started 2 years ago Jan and the only relief I get is with an anti-gas med. I have been to the ER 3 times for this, worn Holter moniters, had EKG's, Stress tests, 2 ECHO's, Abdominal US's...all showing a normal heart and organs..
I am so glad I found this group because I have the same problem and have also been looked at by my doctors - (there have been several) as if I am a hypochondriac or somehow touched, event when they can see the PVC's clearly visibly on the ekg.  I am printing out all your comments and taking them with me to my next appointment because you would think with all the money out there for research and all the bright doctors looking for way to make a name for themself someone would have taken this on by now.

Im glad I found all these posts. It helps me feel better I just wish the doctors would actally do something about it. I write on here all the time about my stomach problems but I havent been on here to talk about my heart. Im convinced my heart and stomach problems are related. Im 25 years old and I have been battling stomach problems since I was 17. In Feb. 2011 I got my gallbladder removed because I was severly sick and it wasnt functing correctly. It helped me but I still have a lot of problems with acid, belching, and nausea. I go to a GI doctor all the time but their no help anymore they just say I produce to much acid and give me different acid reducers and send me on my way. Im currently taking Protonix but it doesnt always help me. I take Beno a lot to help reduce the gas. I do get heart palpations a lot randomly its pretty scary. I have talked to the doctors about it. They said palpations arent dangerous but their still scary I just recently found out I have a heart murmur so my doctor had me to go to a cardiologist to get a chest ultrasound done. I told the ultrasound tech about my stomach problems as well she said they tend to be linked. I never heard back on my results. I would like to see the Cardiologist to get some ideas whats causeing my heart to act up along with my stomach. If I wait to long to eat I get real sick. I will start to feel weak, dizzy, belching, and nasous from the acid. Then when I do eat I feel better but my heart starts beating fast and I start burping a lot and feel like I cant breath good and it can cause dizziness. Usually laying down or waiting a few minutes for my food to settle helps. The heart palpations have gotten a lot better since I started taking Pottasium and Maginusm but shortly after I stop the palpations come back. My grandma thinks its partly my heart making me gassy because thats what her Cardiologist told her but I would have to get re-reffered back to another Cardiologist to get my heart checked out. In the past I have had EKG done and a heart monitor. Nothing showed up and my vitimins were suppose to be good. The Pottasium and Magnisum seem to help but I still always get gassy and feel like I cant breath good after I eat. My grandma says Im to young to be having these kinds of problems so it worrys me. Im tired of living this way and the doctors not doing anything to help me. My grandpa use to have stoamach problems similar to me.Doctors never could figure out what was causing it. He didnt get better until he had heart surgery and it somehow fixed his stomach.
Amen to this site!  Brothers and sisters, we are connected by gas, bloating, bowel movements and how this all affects our heart beats!  We are not nuts...in fact, I have 2 Masters degrees!  This has been going on with me for 23+ years.  Nearly 20 years ago I felt there was some kind of connection to these things (my GI tract and my heart), but could not actually confirm my suspicions-but neither could any doctor or cardiologist...but all of us "common folk" have confirmed this phenomena for each other-and that is good enough for me!  It doesn't make anything less scarier when it happens or doesn't make us stop wondering if there really isn't something more to be afraid of, but man, it's nice to know there are hundreds of others out there who feel/literally! the same way/thing!
There's no doubt that a connection exists between PVC's and the gastro-intestinal system. I've known this for quite some time now but, just like most of you have experienced, my doctor dismisses this notion.

At the worst point, every third or fourth beat was a PVC, and this continued for months. Little by little I continually modified my diet looking for my personal holy grail...the food that causes my problems!

Unfortunately my quest was not that simple, however, I did make a few discoveries; 1) Foods with a high-fat content are one of the main contributors. 2) Hot and spicy foods, including one of my favourites - crystallised ginger, upset (inflame?) my intestines which, in turn, cause PVC's for me. 3) Any food that is dense and stodgy, like pasta, will potentially cause a bout of PVC's, but these will subside quicker than those caused by the other two things mentioned above. Finally 3) Constipation - for the duration that I'm constipated and the following few hours after successfully evacuating my bowel, the dreaded PVC's will return, after which I return to normal(ish).

For the most part I seem to have them under control now and have only had them one three occasions, the first for 24 hours, the second for 24 hours and the third for 48 hours in the last seven or eight weeks. I cannot be more precise on the amount of weeks because after nearly two years of having them I stopped counting and driving myself nuts trying to figure it all out.

I've been hooked up to an ECG (electro-cardiograph) and was told that my heart is in good condition, my thyroid was also tested and the results came back negative for any irregularities, plus I've had several blood tests done to rule out cancer, diabetes and a range of known gastro-intestinal ailments. They all came back clear!

On the upside, having to modify my diet to 'control' the PVC's has resulted in me now having my old washboard abs back, so even though I doubt I will ever feel truly normal internally, I'm kind of looking pretty good on the outside for a 42yo man. Every cloud has a silver lining, you sometimes just have to look a little harder to see it.

Best wishes to you all, you are not alone!

After reading every post on this site.  I can say I agree with just about everything from the symptoms to the possible cures.  I like everyone else have had to deal with this for the past 7 years.  Like everyone else did all of the testing as well.  One issue not discussed that I have been wondering about as a possible resolution for some of us...weightloss.  I will admit that I am 40 lbs overweight and feel that the extra pressure of the gut + gas = more issues.  No one else mentioned being overweight.  For the record I am 44 year old male, hypothyroid.  What do you all think?
Brilliant explanation and remedy. Hopefully you've now become a naturopathic doctor, and not a lawyer :)
Thank baby jesus I found this forum! I havent been diagnosed with pvc's but after reading this forum im almost certain I am getting these as I have heart skips. I like you will get them after have big meals usually dinner making it really difficult to sleep. I also find that show up when im stressed or if I havent drank enough water throughout the day. I have however found a solution for the dinner acid relux by taking monuka honey 16+. It does ann amazing job of coating the throat and suppressing stomach acid. Take it about 20 min after your meal. Thanks I will be following this forum religiously!
Also does anyone get the sensation of feeling your heart in your throat?