Heart Disease Expert Forum
PVC's and vitamins

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

PVC's and vitamins

Posted by William on May 06, 1999 at 20:26:56
I have recently (1 year ago) been diagnosed with pvc's and was worried about them til I found this site.
Anyway I have had 4 EKGs and all say that my heart is fine BUT i have pvcs.
I have a few questions regarding this as my doctor seems as if he is to busy to answer ( and calm my nerves) these.
also i am now 29 years old white male and use to work 70+ hours a week landscaping.now i am just getting back to an active lifestyle.
questions:
1. I used to apply fertilizer and possibly inhaled dust from this,could this be a cause to this irritating disorder?
2. I also notice a DRAMATIC decrease in frequency if i eat CEREAL (with vitamins) everyday. I do not have the best diet but not the worst either.could lack of vitamins affect the heart adversly?
3.i do smoke cigarettes,no alcohol,no caffiene except what is found in chocolate,no illegal or other legal drugs.If i quit smoking (besides other benefits) might this reduce or eliminate these?
Thank you for this great site.
Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - MTR on May 07, 1999 at 08:25:55
Dear William, thank you for your question.  Most likely, you have benign PVC's like most people who ask questions in the Heart Forum about this topic.  Benign PVC's are term as such if there is no underlying cardiac disease and you are otherwise healthy.  Benign PVC's can certainly be a nuisance, but are not harmful and do not portend a bad prognosis.  In your case, I doubt that fertilizer would contribute to PVC's and that eating cereal has any effect on your PVC's.  Smoking, however, is a known precipitant of PVC's and has many other adverse effects on your health as I'm sure you are aware of.  Therefore, I strongly urge you to stop smoking.  In the meantime, avoiding alcohol and caffeine should help to limit the frequency of your PVC's.  If you have further questions, you should ask your own physician.

I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to write back with additional questions.  Good luck.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.