Pacemaker Replacement
My father who is 92 years old with chronic heart failure recently had his pacemaker replaced because it was 7 years old and needed new battery.  Subsequent to this pacemaker replacement, he developed fluid in his lungs, which was removed by needle.  A month later, he developed fluid in his stomach which was also removed and we are awaiting results of fluid analysis.  Can this fluid build-up in lungs and stomach be related to the replacement of his pacemeker?  Or is such fluid buildup be coincidental?  If related to the pacemaker replacement, can settings be adjusted to prevent such fluid build-up?
My Dad (almost 80) also has congestive heart failure and a pacemaker (used to have an ICD but that's another story). He also has times when fluid accumulates and he has trouble breathing, does a lot of coughing. He ups his diuretics to help drain it off. The doc gave him some flexibility in the dose. I think it's all just part of his heart condition. That and his poor eating habits and smoking. I don't think the high sodium food and cigarettes help him feel any better. But at this stage it's not going to change. His pacer is set at a comfortable 65 bpm which keeps things chugging along. So no, I don't think the fluid retention is a direct result of the pacer replacement. It's something that has to be monitored continually.