Heart Disease Expert Forum
Pacemaker and protective devices while welding....

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Posted by Nelson on May 09, 1999 at 17:09:53
My fulltime job is an electrician.  Recently, my work has been expanded to welding.  My doctor suggested that I should not be welding with my pacemaker (that I got in 1993).  I spoke with the pacemaker company and they at first suggested that there is a protective device that I could wear to enable me to perform the duties of my job (which now includes welding).  Is there such a protective device, and where can I purchase one?  As well, are there special circumstances that I should not be welding at all?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  
Thanks,
Nelson from Ohio

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD-APS on May 12, 1999 at 15:11:14
Dear Nelson,
ARC WELDING IS ALWAYS A "NO NO" WHEN YOU HAVE A PACEMAKER OR ICD.
And there is no "protecting" you from arc welding in terms of the pacemaker function.
As you may already know, you should also never have an MRI (because of the magnet), nor should you hold a cell phone on or near the side your pacemaker is on, and never should you walk slowly through or stand near the anti-theft devices that they have at the entrances of many retail stores.  Also, any large industry that uses large magnets in its factory or such is off limits to a person with a pacemaker or ICD.
I hope you find this information useful. Information provided in the heart forum is for general
purposes only. Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free
to
write back with additional questions. Good luck.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call
1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at
www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff
that
can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

A related discussion, Arc Welding with a Pacemaker? was started.