Heart Disease Expert Forum
Pacemaker infections
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Pacemaker infections

First I want to thank you for your quick reply to my earlier message "Infections". My father had 2 pacemaker infections within a nine month period, both requiring pacemaker removal and replacement.  It was very valuable to have some guidance and questions for my parents to ask his treating physician.   I have a follow-up question
   (my original message has already been archived at http://www.medhelp.org/perl6/cardio/archive/7218.html).  
  For this second infection, he was on oral antibiotics prior to and for the first week of his hospitalization.  They successfully removed without complication the pacemaker and old electrode from his first pacemaker (which lasted 10yrs). They then put him on  Vancomycin 1250mg daily infusion.  After 3-4 days of infusion a new pacemaker was inserted.  His second infection was isolated as Staph.  It is not clear whether the electrodes were the cause of the Staph infection.  He currently is completing the planned  2 weeks infusion therapy as an outpatient.
  What are potential causes of staph infection at site of pacemaker?
  Is a staph infection something that could have entered the body at a point other than the pacemaker insertion then migrated to the pacemaker?  
  Any comments on the current therapy?
  What are risks of occurrence of infection?
  What long term therapy, preventive care or monitoring should he anticipate or ask for?  Certainly he doesn't want to go through this every year.