Heart Disease Expert Forum
Pacemaker or not

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Pacemaker or not
I am 72 and have had arithmeia for 10 years- I have had the maze procedure , been on several medications with no help and have had cardio-conversions several times. My dr suggested a pace maker today. Is that the last resort and will I b able to function normally after the procedure???
Based on your story, I'm assuming your problem is with atrial fibrillation and will answer the question based on this. Generally speaking, there are many treatment options available. I would first start by telling you to see an arrhythmia specialist called an electrophysiologist given your multiple issues with atrial fibrillation. There are multiple medications that can be tried. Other options include an atrial fibrillation ablation (a second attempt since you have had a maze procedure in the past). Another option that sounds like has been presented to you is where part of the electrical wiring of the heart is ablated and a pacemaker is placed. This is reserved for when heart rate control becomes a big issue.
I am considering ablation for paroxysmal AFib that I've dealt with for many years and am in consult with a good EP.  I'm curious to know where you had your maze and if it was a mini-maze or open heart surgery.  The statistics that I've read about these procedures leads me to believe that they are 90+ per cent successful.........it appears that may not be the case.  Any other info you could provide would be great.