Heart Disease Expert Forum
Pacemaker side effects

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Pacemaker side effects

Posted By Chris on May 03, 1999 at 14:30:38
I am 33 years old and I had a pacemaker implanted 7 weeks ago for vasovagal syncope with asystole. Two days after I was released from the hospital I had to return because of chest pain and I was diagnosed with pericarditis. I had a moderate effusion an was released two days later and put on ibuprofin. A week after that I got an echo which still showed moderate effusion. I stayed on the advil for another 10 days and felt bad the whole time. Then I went to my docter who put me on 20 mg of prednisone and I lost 16 pounds of water wieght in 3 days. After that I felt much better. I had an echo a week after that which showed no effusion. Two day after that I was in the hospital for a dvt of the left arm which is the same side as the pacer. They put me on cumadine for that and It seems to be resolving. My question is, prior to all the I was healthy and had a resting heart rate of mid-seventies. Now it is consistently over 90 and has been since the implant and this is not due to the pacer firing because it only activates when my pulse drops below 60bpm. I am concerned about this but my doctor says not to worry.Do you have any info about this? Also, I just got weaned off the prednisone 3 days ago. How likely is a reccurrence of the pericarditis? Is there anything I should be looking for?Last,does the body ever reject pacers or leads?

Follow Ups:

Re: Pacemaker side effects Helen 5/06/1999
(0)

Re: Pacemaker side effects Scott 5/04/1999
(1)

Pacemaker side effects CCF CARDIO MD - DLB 5/09/1999
(0)

(0)

(0)

Re: Pacemaker side effects CCF CARDIO MD - DLB 5/03/1999
(0)