I have a permanent pacemaker my entire life, since month old, I am now 24 yrs old. Sometimes i can be watching tv, or laying down or just standing and i get this shock like pain near my left breast (which is wear the pacemaker is). Is it possible to feel the pacemaker sending electrical signals to the heart? Does anybody else experience this?
What kind of pacer do you have? Is a defib device? Certainly you will feel it if your defib pacer kicks in.
I get a strange sensation at times that I'm told is caused by one of my leads is close to the Vagus nerve. When they check it, I have explosive burbs, and am told that sometimes if the lead is close to the Vagus nerve, impulses can be felt.
I was reading around your site and thought I would tell you that CHD (congenital heart disease is very common with one in every one hundred children being born in this country suffers from some sort of heart condition. You are certainly not alone with a heart problem. Almost 95% of those children had surgeries and medicines to help cure and treat their heart conditions and go in to lead basically normal lives. The remaining 5% need transplants to survive and transplantation is not a cure for the heart disease, it is only a band-aid. Be grateful you are not in that 5% group! That is not an easy life especially for those children trying to survive.
You shouldn't feel your pacemaker 'firing'; you would if it were a difibrillator; I don't think in all of the years my daughter had her duel chamber pacer, she ever felt her pacer fire. If it continues try talking to your cardiologist about it.
I dont have a dual chamber, i have a single chamber pacemaker. If you dont mind me asking, how long has your daughter had a dual chamber for? I might be replacing mine to get a dual chamber, is it better? Thank you!
My daughter recieved her pacemaker when she was 8 years old and had it replaced once at the age of 16. At 22 she had a heart transplant and even though her wires have remained, she no longer neede the pacemaker so they removed that during her surgery. A duel chamber pacer is usually used if there is a break in the impulse's ability to reach the ventricle, somthing known as a Heart Block. If you have a single pacer now, why are you (Or is your doctor) considering putting in the duel pacer? If it is better, it's generally better because it can correct a problem and you would feel better as a result.
I can't believe your daughter had a heart transplant at the age of 22, that's crazy but for someone who's been through open heart surgery as well, i can say she is one strong woman! Send my thoughts to her =)
I do have a complete heart block, which is the reason i have a pacemaker. i had my pacemaker since i was one month old. I am now 24 and i'm on my 5th pacer. I heard that a dual chamber pacer works better because it paces the ventricle and atrium. Has your daughter ever had a single chamber?
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.