Heart Disease Community
Pacing ICD failure

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Pacing ICD failure

I have a Medtronics 3-lead ICD.  The 3rd lead in the Left Ventricle has been a problem from the start (Jan/2010) with numerous voltage adjustments to relieve the diaphragm spasming/hiccuping/thumping that becomes overwhelmingly irritating and painful at times.  Sleep is the big loser.  As of June 17/2010 I've had "revision" surgery to relocate the lead but even with the slimmest lead available, my branch veins have too small a cross-sectional diameter (ostensibly due to heart damage from prior heart attacks -- I've had CABG too). So the new Slim "lead" is back in the only candidate vein as far as it'll go.  Seemed OK on the table but by 2 AM next morning the thumping returned.  It's three days later and the thumping is becoming more prevalent / frequent and stronger.  Doc wants to see if the "lead's connection" will stabilize before we give up.  What do you do you all think?  Are we dreamers? and I'm wasting time and agony?
My doctors had to turn off my ATP pacing because it would not work. The brady pacing still works and the defibrillator still works but I can not be paced out of a fast rhythm. It`s been that way for a couple years now.
Of course they can turn off my ATP pacing too but I found my energy increased substantially following the installation of the ICD and startup of the pacing.  While it was causing strong diaphragm stimulation (like strong uncontrollable hiccups) I had them turn it off and I noticed a definite decline in energy, wanting to sit in my chair and sleep.  So I'm going to keep trying to make this device work properly.