Heart Disease Expert Forum
Pain after pacemaker

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Pain after pacemaker

My good friend had a pacemaker put in a couple of months ago. Since then he has had excruciating pain in his back. He said the pain is in the middle of his back. He said he cannot take the pain much longer because of the intensity.He can't seem to get help  from his doctor. Is this normal to have back pain after surgery and is it normal to have numbness in his shoulder.

I would appreciate any help;
Thanks,
Snowfrog
It is not normal to have pain like that after a pacemaker implant.  He should definitely communicate with his doctor about the problem and if they can't address the problem, find another doctor that will.   I have put in many pacemakers and seen pacemaker follow up's and this is not a problem that I have seen.  It may or may not be related to the pacemaker, but needs attention nonetheless.  In rare circumstances with pacemaker pocket pain, we remove the device and implant on the other side.  This is not typical of that because it involves the back/shoulder.  It may take some time to figure out the problem but be persistent.

I hope this helps.
Good luck.
I was having pacemaker inserted in feb and the surgeon instead of threading thro vein did it thro skin of vein and the wire suddenly recoiled and went through the heart the vascular surgeon managed to get 10 cm of wire out thro femeral artery but 2 cm snapped off an is lodged under my collar bone inbetween 2 blood vessels. Had scan this week as they were going to remove it but said they can't as may cause more damage I now have an ache in my arm and finger twitches which do cause me distress but also have to go back in to have pacemaker put in the right hand side. What will happen when I need a new pacemaker as am only 40 where will they put it.  I have waited a year for correct diagnosis you helped me before I have 2nd Degree A V node block and have dizzy spells and faint quite a bit and a right bundle branch block.
A related discussion, Pacemaker Questions was started.
I had a Biotronik Evia DT dual chamber pacemaker Implanted for bradycardia, low blood pressure. It is under my breast. This was eight days ago. I had a few dizzy spells that passed. I was told to lean on s wall with feet a foot forward to increase standing tolerance.

Now when I breath in I feel a heavy tender sensation about five - eight fingers down from adams apple. Above center breast. Like if you were to put entire hand on center chest.

I stopped pain killers after fourth day. I don't have anxiety or feel panic at all.
Is this soreness normal from pacing or could it be lungs? Or maybe soreness from leads? It seems slightly worse each day. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thank you in advance!