Heart Disease Expert Forum
Pain after stents

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Pain after stents

I am 53 and had a stent placed for angina and 80% block on LAD. Since then I have had continued chest pains (they mainly come in my back) which I also feel in my jaw and arm. My cardiologist is insisting it's not cardiac, have been to ER a couple of times, all tests (troponin, ecg) clear. Strange though that my CK is raised but noone mentioned that. Last week I also had a pounding heart - when it was up to 120 at resting I called the ambo guys - my BP was 170/90 but everything calmed down after GTNs and morphine, and wasn't even written up as my presenting symptom when I got out - they basically said I should go to get my muscles checked out. ECG and bloods were clear.
I'm feeling pretty frustrated. Is it really true what my cardiologist said - that I can't be having angina pain after the stent?? And what could the raised heart rate be? I have noticed my heart rate is often around 95 at resting.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Dear chubbit,

It is hard to give you an accurate diagnosis without reviewing your history personally but I can give you some helpful pointers.
Although you do have some atypical symptoms (like pain in the back rather than in the front of the chest), your chest pain might actually be concerning since it does have some typical features like radiation to jaw and arm. I am not sure of the relationship of your pain with exertion, but that might be a helpful clue to its cardiac nature. Talk to your cardiologist about getting an exercise stress test done which might help shed more light on your condition. If you do not have a positive stress test, the likelihood of it being cardiac are rather low.
Hope that helps

CCFHeartMD19
I had my LAD Stented in 2005 with a 95% occlusion and 40% in the RCA and Circumflex respectively.
After stenting I had repeated episodes of cardiac like symptoms and would go to the ER where they would just dismiss it as something else. In 2008, I had a heart attack where they found the RCA and Circumflex had occluded to 90% respectively.
I still have cardiac symptoms to which more issues keep baring their terror on my heart.
I'm not a medical doctor but I suspect each one of these issues leads to more issues.
Right now I'm having problems and my nuclear stress test pointed out a slew of them from valve leakage to occlussions to heart rate impulses. In my case, one problem causes another and after a heart attack anything can develop!!
I have had heated discussions with both my PCP and Cardiologist about this issue. I don't think anyone knows the body better than the individual living in it! When I say something is wrong.........somethings wrong because I'm the last guy who would go to the doctor short of being declared dead! It's expensive and many of them have inferior motives when it comes to the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!! I have told both my PCP and Cardiologist I want intervention BEFORE the heart attack and not afterwards when all the damages has been done!!
You need to let your doctors know where their paycheck is coming from or find another doctor!! I do extensive research before choosing any doctor as they are NOT all equal in competence...........just like any other profession you have GOOD and BAD!!
Good Luck and stay on top of things! We have all had a doctor tell us it's nothing only to find out by another doctor it is a serious issue!! Get 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinions when in doubt!
Thank you for your comment.
My initial diagnosis was unstable angina and query nstemi. Therefore most of my symptoms were at resting, like they are now.
Do you ever take notice of a CK reading in absence of troponin rise? Also how many troponin tests are there now - I get a little confused as to the figures (I am a trainee nurse and am interested as well)
Thank you again
Thank you for your note, I hear your frustration. Yes, why do they think we just love to visit cardiologists in our spare time and spend that money? If I don't get a decent answer this week and have more problems I will certainly be seeking another opinion, even though it means travelling a long way.

Good luck with your fight as well, hope you win. Noone is going to advocate for yourself or your family but you.