Heart Disease Expert Forum
Pain below ribs

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Pain below ribs

Hi I get this intense pain below my ribs right in the center of chest, it's brought on with meals.. The stresnge thing is I also get short of breath maybe from bloating and my feet start to hurt.. The entire area of the stomach is painful.. Is it possible that it's my heart and I feel the pain below the ribs in the center of chest... I thought heart pain like angina was felt in the upper chest, does my pain sound more GI or is it possible to get Angina like pains below the ribs??  Also I'm unable to eat much because the pain starts to intensify. I also get a sharp pain in my back left side under sholder blade. I'm worried and don't  is I have a cardio problem or a GI issue.. Iv been to ER once and was told everything was ok... I don't know why I get short of breath and intense pain, like my stomach is moving up my chest, also I'm unable to eat right now..
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Given the severity of your symptoms, you should see your doctor as soon as possible. Your symptoms could be from your gastrointestinal tract or from your heart.  It's important to exclude your heart or some severe vascular or gastrointestinal problem as the cause of your syptoms (symptoms), especially since you now say you're unable to eat. Consider seeing someone urgently.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Naturally, I can't provide medical advice based on the limited information available to me from your post. But, I think that it would be prudent to be seen and examined promptly.
Yes! My mom would constantly complain of this and her doctor told her to take heartburn medicine. She was on it for years whenever she had the pain. She experienced this one day without eating and had high blood pressure. She went yo a cardiologist who brushed her off and said it was indigestion.  3 days later she died of a heart attack.
We realize now that her symptoms are the symptoms of a female heart attack - pain right under the ribs.
There is a blood test they can do that checks your enzymes. Also a stress test is only good if you do it longer than you feel you can. When you're winded and can't breathe.. Keep pushing yourself. Only when you're past your breaking point will your heart produce an accurate result for stress on it. Good luck.