Heart Disease Community
Pain in center left of chest

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Pain in center left of chest

Does anyone know what this is. woke up this afternoon. Pain in the center left of chest. it is not constant. it lasts a second. like stab. stop . stab . stop. stab stop.   happens like 3 times. lasts a second each. then gone. then few minutes later happens again. it seems to happen with a deep breath or a belch perhaps. does this sound cardiac in nature?
not sure but i think i may feel it after a hiccup or semi hiccup.
Good gosh Michael, how many medical problems can one person think they have?  You really seem to strongly desire a cardiac problem, in spite of all the advice/medical evidence to the contrary.  The stabbing pain, as you should know from previous posts and much time spent on this site, are not typical of cardiac pain.  I really think you need some medical help, but don't think you have any cardiac problems.  You seem to have a LOT of medical anxiety, and should see someone (i.e. a psychiatrist - and NO there's nothing wrong w/ needing to see one) to help you with your issues regarding your health.  I really hope you get the help you need, but also encourage you to find a site that you can discuss your medical anxiety with while not causing undue stress in others with actual problems.  This is a heart site, and I really think everyone here has done everything they can to help you to no avail.  I honestly just hope you find a site where you can get the serious help that you really need.  
honestly i'm really fed up with the negative comments from you and others. if you have nothing positive to say then please ignore my posts and move on. i'm not making stuff up. i feel pain. its not in my head. yes i do suffer from anxiety problems but i also suffer from other problems. just because a person has anxiety disorder does not make them immune from real problems. that is the problem with most people they just chalk everything up to anxiety . if you do some research you will see that many people who were told over and over that they had anxiety problems actually had real problems. be it the heart or digestive track or whatever else. i'm asking very legitimate questions and i would like answers for them this is what this site is about. or should be about. im not a luney i think i know when something is physically hurting me and im not talking about tension or headaches or nervousness or the million other problems cause. this is real. it may be digestive such as gerd or whatever but i just want to make sure it is not one of those undiagnosed cardiac problems. so again . if you do not want to give me facts or answer like a normal person then keep it to yourself. and for your information NO i did NOT know that "stabbing" pain is NOT typical of cardiac problems. and one more thing i don't appreciate the comment about getting "serious" help as you suggested. have a good day and from now on i would appreciate it if you just skip over my posts. thank you and have a good day
I certainly understand why you think my comments were negative, but unfortunately when you post on a site for advice, you may get advice that you don't want to hear or don't like.  I am not attacking you or slandering you in any way - you HAVE posted extensively about numerous problems and have repeatedly requested advice as to whether or not these problems are cardiac in nature even though you have clarified that you've been tested quite thoroughly and cleared by doctors .  You have been give extensive advice, much of which has hopefully been helpful i.e. the advice on methods to stop smoking, and have been told on numerous occasions that your problems are probably not cardiac.  But to continously have new health issues that cause you to fear a heart problem may well be indicative of another problem and I am sharing that advice with you - advice you requested by placing your post.  As this is a serious forum, by posting you are asking for honest advice - not just "touchy-feely" responses.  All replies to posts may not be "positive" - doesn't mean the advice is not valid just because you don't want to hear it.  I think (don't know, but think) my advice is on target, and I'm sorry you are so upset by it, but a forum like this works both ways, and while you may not like my "negative" reply, it is an honest assessment of your stated problem and you are the one who asked for the advice in the first place.  I answered your question fully (no, I don't think your problem is cardiac in nature), and provided you w/ advice on how to get help.  But at some point after goodness knows how many posts you've made, I begin to question what is really behind your posts - and I hope they are honest posts and not just attention grabbers.  If your posts are serious (as they should be), then I stand by my advice and recommend you seriously consider it.  If your posts are not serious, then you are correct and I (and everyone else) should just skip over them.  Sincerely wish you the best of luck.
I think everyone gets random pains from time to time when breathing in. I know I do. But it doesn't mean there is an underlying problem. Just like a headache doesn't mean a brain tumor. Even Dr MJM said on the other forum in a recent post that he sometimes gets sudden pains in his chest when he breathes in.
the 10/16 response was about the best I have read on this site.  
Personally, I think that you are right on target and it couldn't be put better!
well well well ..even if tarheel is right and I don't say he is not on target... BUT..
Michael has a good point too ! If you want to read his posts do, if you get upset by it don't.
Posting here is his way to deal with his problems, even if those are not cardiac.
No one has the right to send him away. He is not a whiny whiny as many were here before.
One day he will understand all , but the day is not here for him just yet, until I think Michael this is your board too just as anybodies else’s.
I'm with Tarheel 100%!  I had decided not to answer any more of your posts, because I think those who do, are enabling you to continue with your extremely unhealthy obsession.  No, I don't think you have anything wrong with your heart, as you have been told OVER AND OVER.  But, you obviously have something wrong with you, and I strongly suspect you would benefit from seeing someone for mental health.  I don't have the patience to count, but I would guess that you have asked over 100 questions about your health, and keep on ignoring the responses.  I think your posts are serious and are not attention getters.  You just have an advanced case of cyberchondria, IMO!
Completely agree with your statement that this board is everyone's board and all have a right to post.  But I think you are mistaken if you believe Michael's continuous postings help him deal with his problems.  I really think that his numerous postings very much exaccerbate his problem(s).  It is quite alright and responsible to recommend to someone that they probably could receive much better help by going to another site.  If someone.....let's just use the example of say a slight hypochondriac......spent a lot of time reading over this site and comparing their symptoms to others with problems posting on this site, I would venture to say it would not help them at all.  I would never recommend that such a person go out and by a medical book and spend a lot of time reading through symptoms of various horrible diseases, so why should such a person be encouraged to spend time on a forum like this doing basically the same thing?  I think it is much more responsible to tell recommend such a person not spend time doing that as it could be quite unhealthy for them.  I'm not trying to have anyone banned from this site, because you are right - it is open to all.  But I am also not trying to placate anyone - rather I'm trying to give honest, good advice.  To encourage continued participation in a site that OBVIOUSLY exaccerbates someones anxiety (i.e. worrying about a heart condition for every ache/pain) in my opinion is irresponsible, even though it is his/her right to continue to use the site.  Always fun sparring with you though :-) - take care vienna!!!
wow you really do act like a 3 year old in kindergarden some of you.  i just got back from the doc and was told there is a good chance i have a hiatal hernia and possibly GERD. which fyi would explain about 90 percent of the symptoms i have been suffering with.  i have asked a hundred questions because as a smart person unlike some people who i do not want to accept and pretend there is nothing wrong that is just plain dumb!!! as i've mentioned before i realize i have an anxiety problem but i dont think an axniety disorder makes people immune to physical problems i wish it did but it doesnt. i think I and everyone else in here has a right to ask as many questions as they would like to get to the bottom of their problem and others have a right to ignore those posts . but to bash someone for being concerned with their health and taking matters in to their own hands and trying to take their health into their own hands is just plain vial and immature. this is the biggest bandwagon mentality i have ever seen since elementary school. what is seriously wrong with some of you people don't you have anything better to do then to try to downplay me? don't you have anything better to do with your time? does it make you feel more mature and in control of your lives to put me down and pretend its "all in my head"?? i'm really glad i went to the doc again today and found out i have a gastro problem before it got worse. if  i listened to some of you people i would be laying around going oh yeah that horrible pain in my chest. oh yeah its just anxiety no big deal until it got worse and worse. i think the only ones trying to get attention here are some of you that try to make yourselves feel smarter by putting someone else down

thank you for your support and actually being one of the very people  on here who is mature and makes sense . to the others i really have to say it again . some posts on here are so pathetic. why would anyone say some of the things you say? i believe what some of you do on here is called . projecting. you are the ones in need of attention that is why you have a need to put others down.
now that i found out that my problems may be digestive in nature i will start to get help for it. however having one problem does does disclude one from another so if i feel like i may still have some cardiac concerns i WILL ask questions which is a sign of inteligence. and i would appreciate answers from people not just blow offs and if anyone is offended or doesnt care to answer very simple. IGNORE my posts. dont put me down to try to make me look stupid so no one else with real inteligence would want to answer me instead of you.
Lucky for you, there is a gastroenterology forum you can post on. Maybe they can 'help' you. Make sure you let us know how the endoscopy  goes. It will confirm whether you really have GERDS and/or a hiatal hernia.
Your responses are not unexpected, and are also not productive.  I am not surprise that 90% of your symptoms might possibly be GERD related - FLBrat (one of the kindergardener's) told you that back in early SEP and this has been discussed with you extensively. No one ignored your inquiry at that time, and it is not as if anyone failed to provide you w/ solid advice on many of your heart-related inquiries.  But by about post 100 of yours (and that is not much of an exaggeration), you have led me believe that you very likely have a strong anxiety problem as well as physical problems - actually, you self-identified this early on yourself, so not just my assessment. And I think your demonstrated anxiety should not be ignored any more than your physical ailments because it can cause future, much more damaging health problems.  And by about your 100th post, I think you as an intelligent person would CLEARLY be able to see the credibility of this advice w/o having to resort to name calling, which honestly isn't all that intelligent by the way.  Rest easy though - I can assure you that no matter how tempting, I will not answer any further posts of yours as I honestly feel it would simply exaccerbate your anxiety problem, which from my seat seems to be a big issue for you as well (not to discount your physical ailments).  Sincerely good luck if you end up having GERD - that is no fun either!
insults began with you. Again i have to say if you don't want to read or respond to my posts please do not do so. i personally would not read someone's posts if i found them ridiculous as you claim mine are or annoying in either way. when you see my name on the post just skip it, simple. i would just skip over it and not post negative remarks as to take away my credibility for my concerns so as someone else may have good advice or knowledge on the topic. thank you again and good luck with everything
I just don't understand why you didn't rely on your doctor in the first place.  If I felt that certain that I had a real medical condition that required treatment, maybe I'd "stop by" the forum with a question or two.  But, you can bet I'd be high tailing it to my doctor's office for some definitive answers.  

Since you have been diagnosed with a gastro condition, I have to believe your doctor has ruled out any cardiac problems. If not, I'd be quite surprised. In general, the people here are kind and thoughtful when presenting their own ideas and opinions.  Remember, you are entering into a forum (discussion) when you post here.  You are welcome to post your questions and opinions, but please remember to give others the same privilege.  Now, if you are treated in a manner which breaches the Terms of Use for the Forum, you are certainly within your right to approach the Forum administrators.  I can't say as I have seen that happen here.  

Tarheelguy offered his opinion, made some suggestions and offered some food for thought  -- which is what you ask for when you post on an open forum.  Perhaps it would behoove you to listen more open mindedly and visit your doctor when you are not comfortable with the answers/suggestions given here.  Of course, you are entitled to your own opinion, but remember others are afforded the same privilege. I really believe that these people are only trying to help.  

Hope you're feeling better.
i did go to my doc and originally as did some people did here i was told there was nothing wrong. i didnt buy that. i know when something is physical and not a "phantom" pain caused by anxiety. that is why i went back to the doc after trying for answers on here and found out that i most likely have hiatal hernia. if i just accepted answers from the first doc as i was told to accept "nothing wrong with you" on here then my problem would probably have got worse and i'm not sure if some people were helpful here. Some were very helpful and others very . i'm not even sure what word to use it doesnt matter. all im saying is that if they do not have facts pertaining to the matter or an answer to the question i do not need to hear "its in your head" because as i was just shown this afternoon it is NOT in my head. before you go on i will say it again yes i have anxiety problems , many people in this world do but that does NOT make me immune to physical problems. and i originally could not go to doc because i do not have insurance i can't afford it and i can not run to a doctor everyday to find a solution to my problems. and to add some of the suggestions that were made were not very helpful they were belittling in a sense. "quit smoking" . duh i know that and i am quiting i've cut down drastically but that does not mean that just because i quit the damage is still not there, whether its cardiac or as i just found out gastro in nature. its really not that difficult to understand i have legitimate concerns and i am looking for legitamate answers and opinions. if a poster on here cannot offer that then i would appreciate if they just skip over my posts rather than patrionizing me. thank you again. and i hope you feel well your self
Wow, telling you the damage being done to your body is belittling?  Well, lets try this out then.    Cigarettes have formaldyhyde in them.  That is embalming fluid!  Did you know that it can effect your gastrointestinal system?  Not "just" your heart and lungs??  You say you have cut way back?  No, you have just given yourself an excuse to continue.  Get off the excuse train.  I know I rode it for quite some time.  Commit Commit Commit.  No matter what else is said here on this board, the quit smoking answers have been the best advice you have ever gotten. Nagging is not fun to hear, especially when you know it is right.
i feel like i'm the the twilight zone here. lol.   i didnt say being told to quit is belittling. i know i have to quit. there have been very patrionizing comments made to me regarding my concerns of my health. yes i know i have to quit . how many times do i have to say it. and i'm quiting . i'm almost done with cigs.  i need to know if damage already has been done whether it was from cigarettes or whatever. you gotta be kidding me this is a big joke. again. please if you don't like my posts or don't want to deal with them. skip them. there have been a few people on here that actually give gave some knowledgable input and i'd like to keep talking to them. thank you again
this really isnt rocket science. i really would rather not hear from people if all they can do is put reject my concerns and not offer answers to my now legitimate health concerns. i do not want to hear what i have to do such as quit cigarettes. i am more than half way to quitting i hardly smoke. i would appreciate my questions addressed and answered. please do not come on to my questions and clutter it with patrionizing comments. its really simple . if i don't like anyone's post on here i skip it. please do the same . its really not that difficult.
flat out?  yes damage has been done.  can it heal?  can it be corrected?  a bone heals when it is broken, but I believe it will retain a weakness at that spot.  Lung capacity can improve, but will not be what it would be if I had never smoked.  Gastro?  I will enjoy protonix the rest of my life I suppose.  Skin?  I wrinkled my skin by smoking, that unfortunately will remain as I have no desire to cut for cosmetic reasons.  Hair, fortunately the nasty chems that came in by smoking have been cut out of my hair.  No patronizing was meant, too bad you take it that way.  Your problem, not mine.  You seem to be a very stubborn fellow.    I am glad you have no heart problem, but saying:  See?  I knew I had a problem, it is gastrointestinal is wacked out.  This is a forum about CARDIAC issues.  I am really sorry that you have any problem at all.  From the anxiety to the hernia.  I wish you were totally healthy.  People spent a lot of time answering you and now that they have lost patience you dont seem to understand it.  For me, your biggest issue is the smoking as you have no cardiac issue per the doctors and tests so that is what I addressed.  Dont like it?  DONT READ IT.  Last time I waste words on you boy.
You asked:
  "Does anyone know what this is. woke up this afternoon. Pain in the center left of chest. it is not constant. it lasts a second. like stab. stop . stab . stop. stab stop.   happens like 3 times. lasts a second each. then gone. then few minutes later happens again. it seems to happen with a deep breath or a belch perhaps. does this sound cardiac in nature?"

I have a history of cardiac problems, including two heart attacks, seven stents, and recently a spontaneous dissection of the RCA.  I also can sing a great rendition of 'Betty Davis Eyes' from GERD issues, I burned out my vocal chords (cords?).  The primary cause of both conditions I have is because I smoked.  In answer to your question, never has my cardiac pain been a sharp, stabbing pain.  Due to my many cardiac events I have spent lots of time in cardiac rehab with other cardiac patients at the hospital and never, not one time has anyone have I compared cardiac notes with complained of sharp pains.  Everyone talks about light to heavy pressure, a squeezing feeling.  Imagine a cobra around your chest.  When I had GERD symptoms, they were stabbing, sharp pains.
In both cases, smoking is considered the primary reason for my troubles.  When I quit smoking my GERD symptoms, other than burned out vocal chords ended.

I hope that answers your question.

My Dear Boy, anxiety is a real issue and not just something that is in a person's head. You really need to get educated yourseld on what is going on.

Anxiety comes from an oversensitive sympathetic and/or parasympathetic nervous system which gets triggered to a particular cue/cues or at times spontaneously. The 13 most common physical symptoms are 1)pounding or accelerated heart rate, 2) increased sweaing, 3)trembling or shaking, 4)shortness of breath, 5)choking sensation, 6)chest pain or discomfort, 7)nausea or abdominal distress, 8)feeling dizzy, lightheaded or faint, 9)derealization or depersonalization 10)fear of losing control or going crazy, 11)fear of dying, 123)numbness or tingling sensation, 13) chills or hot flashes.

80% of people with anxiety report problems with gastrointestinal issues such as diarrhea, constipation, colitis, irritable bowel syndrome, ulcers, heartburn, GERDS, etc. That does not mean that everyone with gastrointestinal issues have anxiety, but 80% of people with anxiety issues have gastrointestinal problems.

Deal with your anxiety in a constructive way (ie. get some help/counseling/biofeedback training/etc) and some of your other issues MIGHT improve. Until you have an endoscopy or drink some wonderful barium during an upper GI series, you won't know if you really have a haital hernia. I know because I just went through the wonderful testing. My doctor was SURE I had a haital hernia as a result of my gallbladder  surgery last year. Guess what? NO HERNIA! Some GERDS, but no hernia.

I decided on my own that my anxiety is triggering again and instead of whining about it, mistrusting my doctor, and insisting that they are incompetently misdiagnosising me, I am going back to my biofeedback training. I am not crazy, I am not ashamed and my symptoms are NOT ALL IN MY HEAD. They are real and uncomfortable symptoms but I KNOW what is going on and I am going to deal with it in my way. I need to get my autonamic nervous system settled down and I am going to do just that. It may take some time but I am not going to be crippled by it.

You, Micheal, have a lot to learn!  In a way, I hope it is a hernia for you because if that is not it, I'm not sure that you can deal with it constructively. I think that you will jump right back into the heart issue.
Asking questions is only a sign of intelligence IF YOU LISTEN TO THE ANSWERS.

Which you don't.

Btw, IF you have a hiatal hernia, I am sorry to tell you that it is not serious.  I'm betting that you will make it a big deal though.
no i understand hiatel hernia is not that serious. it definetly does not feel good though. i'm going to check out the gastro forum in search of natural remedies before i turn to conventional medicine. hopefully someone has some ideas there on how to get rid of it. now this was an answer . you basically told me that hiatel hernia is not serious which i already knew but it was still an answer to the concern. thank you.  yes asking and questioning is a sign of inteligence . not listening to and not agreeing with supposed "answers" is also a sign of inteligence. an answer would be to aknoledge the question at hand and talk about the subject that was brought up. saying "its all in your head and its all anxiety" is NOT an answer . It is patrionizing and does not aknoledge the concern that a person may have. especially when that concern is legitimate. If a person agrees to such answers and sees it as a good answer then that would make the person asking the question very untinteligent. now again thank you for letting me know about hiatal hernias and their lack of real seriousness.
I had GERD. It was found after extensive testing. Putting a naso-gastric tube down your nose into your stomach and wearing a monitor for 24hrs. Then going back and having it removed. It measures the level of acid in your stomach and up into your esophagus. Not a very pleasant procedure, either going down or coming up. But very important one. I had suffered for over 5 years. Taken all of the anti-acid medications, and got to the point where nothing worked. I had the surgery performed. They go in and wrap the upper end of your stomach around your esophagus, forming a new valve. No more heartburn.Never in over 7 years...but...I also can NOT vomit. Not at all, once, even with flue, stomach upsets, medication reaction to morphine, etc.  The surgeon who performed my surgey is the one who pionered the technique, sorry, can't remember his name. Stomach acid can errod your esophagus and cause esophageal cancer, so this is something you will want to pursue further. Good luck.
did you have just GERD or hiatal hernia too? did it give you cardiac symptoms as some people describe? pvcs? why can't you vomit? isnt that dangerous? i mean if you get food poisoning or flu and can't vomit? what happens then? why did it take so long to diagnose? sounds like me a little bit.
No, I didn't have a hiatal hernia.They knew I had acid reflux, just kept trying to treat it with medication. They tried every medication they had available, just nothing worked. And yes it can feel like heart problems. Chest pain, arm pain, etc. My reflux was so bad the valve between my esophagus and stomach was totally open. Tried all the things like raising head of bed on blocks, sleeping propped up on pillows, etc. To rebuild the valve, they pull up your stomach and wrap it around your esophagus, creating a tight seal to stop the acid from going into my esophagus. It had already started to errod. Supossed to have an endoscopy every year to check to see if there are any changes to the cells. It had already had some pre-cancerous changes. Unfortunately I haven't had that done since the surgery. I know, dumb me, but it is a procedure that costs around $2,000., and I can't afford it. And yes, the not being able to vomit is dangerous. I had a discectomy and neck fusion in June, and they injected morphine for pain after surgery. I started retching so badly in about 2 minutes, they had to keep injecting me with anti-vomiting stuff all the rest of day, and spent night in hospital. They were worried about me rupturing the fusion they had just done. For a year after the stomach surgery I kept anti-emetics on hand to prevent voimiting. It can rupture the new valve. I still keep stuff on hand. When I try to vomit, sometimes it feels like I'm going to rupture my stomcah. It has happened to other people. Necessitating another stomach surgery. Mine was called a Laparascopin Nessan Fundiplication. It's not fun. You need to see a gastro-enterologist. Good luck. Treatment is important, as GERD can lead to other issues.
wow it sounds very complicated. do you think there is any chance of homeopathic remedies that can help reverse it? any idea what caused it to begin with ? you really need to get checked up. forget the $$ . its your health
no i've got an appointment for endo. thanks about quitting smoking. i'm almost there down to like 5 cigs a day from about 30 a day. that is so weird i still don't understand how the stomach can make cardiac symtoms (symptoms) like pains in shoulders by armits and sometimes down the arms. i can see why cardio would make those symptoms but why the stomach. weird
It's called 'referred pain' when you feel the pain somewhere other than the source of the pain. Check out this link for an explanation of how stomach problems can cause pain in shoulder.
http://anatomynotes.blogspot.com/2006/10/referred-pain.html
Michael please trust your doctors when they advise your heart is fine.To keep posting in this forum regarding your so called heart issues will only exacerbate your anxiety which is what may be your real issue.My father and uncles both suffered major heart attacks all related to SMOKING.My dad survived after a stent and 15 yrs later he is doing well at 79yrs old.He HAS a heart issue but he doesnt let it get to him.You dont have one and your still worried.This is not intended as an insult as anxiety can in itself be a major problem.Get off this heart health obsession because it may lead to more and more severe forms of anxiety.This will only make your situation worse.The mind-body relationship is enormous with people making themselves sick worrying And in the long run may create heart issues for you.And please stop smoking!
hey thanks for the advice but i'm not really not talking about the heart anymore. just talking to people. and not sure if you noticed but i noted that i'm 90% done with cigs. thank you
very interesting about the refering pain. thanks for the link Deedle
You told the people over on the anxiety forum just 3 days ago (10/14/07)that you were a heavy smoker. Which is true? Are you still a heavy smoker or 90% done with cigs.?
correction . was a heavy smoker. what are you stalking me?
Of course...such a mature, intelligent person as yourself...sure.....lol! Learn the meaning of open foums.
If anybody knows you sure do right Diana?
Is it your second nature? I would give up on something just to know who you really are. An ID here maybe, a picture or some info, you are making me nervous just to know you are reading still all what I post on an other board. I hate that kind of 'stalking' too, you read other boards and come here to say. Why? At least we are all friends on the old place, I need to salve your hate on us, just don't understand why? It doesn’t make any sense especially because J. said to me he is NOT you! I’ve chose to believe him!  I could of understand if he was playing you, but you must be a real person: a women. I am confused, and that is very rare occasion for me.

And about Michael, what different does it make if he said he *is* not *was.*
Tell me if I am not correct but as I know an alcoholic would say even when quit drinking that he is an alcoholic, until a while.
Congratulation on your improvement !!!! Thanks for your kind words I almost felt I am some smart person! :)
But Maggie’s last post was the smartest.
Over all I think this is an educational tread,  It is a very interesting fascinating way to learn what else can cause heart damage look a like symptoms  when those who went trough on it are telling their stories. Thanks for those who did and I know as I said before Michael will be there one day, but he is still in the process.
Like some people drop the cigarette in a heartbeat, others need a year or more to quit it.
We all have some denial in us, that can be very different. One thinks I am well when not, the other end would think the opposite, this is why these boards are here; to learn from everything.

Tarhel, thanks for the note, same good wishes to you !:)

..When my son was quitting from a pack a day, he said : Don’t tell me , I know I have to and I don’t do it because I've told by you,(thousand times) but because: I want to !!
That is a very important statement; it was for me to learn: pushing somebody to quit anything is not helpful. Ignoring yes, but not pushing.
Quitting always must be an individual decision what ever needs to be quit on! Reading some of you I feel the person who I was in the past. But hey, we are all different and changing, this is why life is interesting.:)

I mentioned it here because there are a variety of boards I read and post on. (So sorry but yours isn't one of them. I know that you wish it was but you guys just aren't that important to me. I checked that board once a few months ago to see if my guts feelings were accurate and they were. That was all I needed to know. Everything else was easy. The personas easy to pick out.I didn't need to check anything else. I knew that my gut was right. I also posted there for the last time to let you know exactly how I felt about what you all were doing.So it is difficult to understand how you could be confused about my feelings or actions.I was on that board for a few years before the change. So I know that you all feel the same things emtionally that the people on this board do. You ask the same type of questions and have the same type of fears when your hearts' act up but it is all right for all of you. While you act that the people here are whiney and whatever you call them. Yes, that makes me feel indignant and angry.The people here are working through their issues the same way you all on the other board work through your issues.)

So what is my deal with Micheal? I feel that Michael is yanking everybodys' chain. I don't like it. He has been checked out and he has gotten good advice but appears to blow it off. Then asks questions about if he is doomed because he was in a rotten relationship. Talk about FATALISM. Get off it; take control of what you can and start making some good decisions in life. Change the course of your life if what you are doing now is detrimental.

And if I read on one board that he is down to only 5 cigarettes a day and on another one that he calls himself a heavy smoker and these posts are only days apart, I AM going to call him on it. The same way that I would a friend who I see smashed in a bar who has just told me that they are in AA and on the band wagon. I'm not going to pat that person on the back and ask him/her if I can buy the next round.

Now V...be real. The only problem you have with this is that you don't like me. You don't really care about Michael or his struggles. You want an arguement with me. Sorry...but not interested. I am interested in Michael honestly accessing his situation and constructively dealing with his problems...ALL of them, including the anxiety issues which will not simply vanish because you choose to ignore them. Anxiety produces REAL physical symptoms . Both need to be addressed!
all i have to say is WWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!                             lol
Pretty interesting stuff here! I just came to this site today by searching something online that was heart related.

A little about my history, which I find very funny.  All my problems, have been somewhat noted on this little section of this forum.

1) I recently had open heart surgery December 1, 2006.  So I do qualify to be on this site.  I was born with congenital heart disease, Aortic Stenosis.  Well, last year, due to the extra strain on my heart over the years, I developed an anuerysm in my aorta.  I was on vacation and was lagging along.  I was getting chest pain, and a tightness in my chest.  My lungs hurt from trouble breathing.  My mom called the ambulance and I was rushed in to the nearest hospital.  My anuerysm was ready to rupture!  They referred me to see my cardiologist immediately.  The next day I called my cardiologist and scheduled an appointment that was a couple days later.  I called my best friend who is an RN and knows alot about the cardiology field.  She said to me, "I am flying up to see you and go with you!"  I asked why!  She said because there are to many mis diagnosis by doctors with miscommunication.  We don't always hear them right , and  they most certainly don't hear us right all the time.  She flew down.  We went in for my appointment.  The Doctor comes in and sits down and starts talking to me.  My girlfriend is listening very carefully.  He asked what was going on.  I told him the chest pain, breathing, blah blah..............He asked about stress in my life at the current moment because he knows that I suffer from anxiety, and GERD and hiatal hernia!  
He tells me that he believes that my anxiety and acid reflux are what is bothering me.  So in my head I am thinking that the ER screwed up, because that is not the first time to hear that.  ER's tend to misdiagnos things and put extra severity into things, because they just want you to follow up with your doctor.  So I am sitting there with him, assuming he has looked at the results the hospital sent to him, and that everything is fine.  Well, my best friend stood up, and said HOLD ON!  She looks at the doctor and said, "I am going to guess that you have not even looked at the test results from the hospital."  The doctor said,"What test results!"  She said, "the ones that are probably at the front desk."  We are here for a follow up, because her aneurysm has expanded immensely.  He looked kinda confused and left the room.  He comes back and said, "we have to do the echo".  He runs the tests and and after said, "I need the day to carefully review everything."  I was very nervous leaving there without knowing what was going on and to know that if my best friend wasn't their, I would have been that sucker that leaves and dead in a week.  The doctor calls me up at 6pm that night and said your anuerysm is ready to rupture.  He said, we need to put you on Beta Blockers and prep you for surgery.  (Great story huh)  

Now, about anxiety.  3 Years prior to my surgery, I developed panic attacks and general anxiety disorder.  I experienced that for three years.  I have to agree with Michael on the issue that just because you have anxiety it does not mean that something else is not wrong.  I know that for sure.  My anxiety started because I was getting pain in my chest and due to my condition it worried me.  My doctor was quite new, as I had recently moved to Massachussettes.  Without even knowing much about me diagnosed me with anxiety and put me on xanax.  An addictive drug.  Not a good thing, because I was an alchoholic and my doctor knew that.  Bad withdrawals without it.  So now he puts me on a very addictive drug.  Well, time goes on, my anxiety gets worse, my chest pain is still there and my doctor would not treat me for anything else.  I was a wreck, because now I needed this drug to get by in my day.  Did I go to other doctors, yes.  But, I found similiar responses.  It's your anxiety.   Crappy situation!  I have been there.  So I got addicted to these drugs, couldn't get off them, was drinking immensely....and still had the chest pain and worried it was my heart because I had no answers.  I did visit my cardioligist a few times, and I had some minor changes, but he said nothing that would cause what I am feeling.  Well, I looked online and did some research, and found that GERD was a condition that explained a good amount of my symptoms that I was feeling.  My next appointment into my doctor, I demanded that he test me for that.  So he did.  I had an upper GI, and the results were, GERD and a hiatal hernia.  When you have a haital hernia on top of GERD, it makes it  harder to handle, because it triples the effects and discomfort.  Is a haital hernia dangerous.  Not really!  Not unless it becomes huge.  In that case, it can suffocate you.  Is that likely and happen often.  No it doesn't.  

So I became a mess, because my doctor treated me for something that he wasn't really sure about.  I had chest pain from the GERD, and hiatal hernia, and he just thought it was anxiety.   And what anxiety I did have was my withdrawal symptoms from coming off of alcohol and needing a drink.  It was a vicious cycle.  Did I know that at the time.  Nope!  Not until years later, I got myself on the right track and said WOW.  So Doctors screw up all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last thing!  I am still an alcoholic (nothing like I use to be) but I will always see myself as I was years ago until I quit. If your smart enough, the point should be well taken.

I know you mean well, but you aren't aware of how serious this guy's OBSESSION is !  One thing he doesn't need is reinforcement that he does have a heart problem.  Your story is sad and I am sure glad you found out what the real problem is, but Michael's is NOT CARDIAC, and may not be GI either, but certainly is mental.  Look at the 2 posts above yours.
ok seriously this is out of hand now!! one more comment from you in my posts  . especially like that one and i will report you for harrasment to the moderators. can you seriously just stop writing me or writing in regard to my post. what is wrong with you ? seriously ? do you have some sort of brain damage? ! as a matter of fact forget it not even one more i am reporting you to mods and i hope they kick you out
i thought this forum was designed to get support from people. not harrasment. some people are very supportive here can't say that for everyone here though.
i'm really sorry to hear about your story . sounds like you've been through a lot. how is your heart now? i'm guessing its better and in good health now? what about the gerd will it go away ? and yeah i'm not saying i'm in the same boat as you, because it turns out that i probably don't have a heart problem other than pvcs which are very common and being slightly at higher risk for high cholestrol and stuff, but i most likely have hiatal and gerd according to my doc. i hear ya on the brush of thing with most docs especially ER . lets chalk everything up to anxiety and sell those happy pills. thats what it comes down to it seems. i believe it is our health and we know our bodies better than anyone and as i've heard from a few people you need to push in getting the testing and treatment you need otherwise no one else will. Your case is a perfect example. again i'm not comparing myself to you my problem is minor compared to yours sorry to say but either way i know i just don't suffer from anxiety alone. i wouldnt be spitting up acid after every meal if it were just anxiety. and feeling constant pain in my chest. anyway i really hope you feel better real soon. how old are you anyway? and as far as stress goes to deal with this stuff have you considered learning breathing exercises and relaxation tapes and such ? i just started breathing exercises and they seem to be working we'll see .
i'll repeat this again to others besides maggie that have been less then friendly to me. its simple this is my post if you do not like it. then do not read it nor leave messages here or any other post that i make. i don't come into yours and harass you i expect the same courtesy. thank you!
Enough of this argument please. This stopped being medical in nature a long time ago. If it continues we will need to delete the full post which we'd rather not do.

Everyone has a right to post in the forums but keep a few rules in mind:

- The forum is meant for Heart related issues, please try to stay on topic.
- If you don't like what someone is posting, do not feel compelled to "help" them by posting to them. It only fuels these kind of arguments. Simply ignore the post.
- Personal attacks will not be tolerated. People are here to receive help and not be attacked.

Thank you for cooperating.

MedHelp