Heart Disease Expert Forum
Pain in left side of chest under armpit

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Pain in left side of chest under armpit

I am a 47 year old male in generally good health.  I am a Type 1 Diabetic.  I have a very sharp pain on my left side of my chest under my armpit.  What is this pain and is it a serious issue that should be looked at.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Without being able to review your entire history it will not be possible to give you a specific answer. In general, the probability of a chest pain being related to a heart's obstructed artery (ischemia), depends on the characteristics of the pain (type, location, relation to exercise, duration, radiation, relieving elements), and the risks factors of the patient (age, gender, smoking, cocaine use, family history of heart attack at young age, diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure). Without knowing your complete medical history and the details of your chest pain I cannot tell you if this pain is related to the heart or not. Although, being a type 1 diabetic male your risk is higher than the general population and also diabetic patients have atypical heart chest pain more frequently. So, I would suggest you to go to your doctor for a complete evaluation.

Good luck.