Pain left Shoulder, heaviness in heart
Hi, I am a 40 year old smoker who has suffered from depression and anxiety most of my life, untreated most of the time due to the high cost of med's and lack of insurance. My children have been causing me a lot of unnecessary worry.Once in the past 6 months or so I felt a really bad "closing up" feeling in my chest like things in my throat and chest were being crushed, more frequently I have felt a sharp stabbing pain in my left shoulder blade that only lasts a few seconds and doesn't seem to come from movement or anything. Last night when I was about to go to bed, all of a sudden I felt this heaviness in my chest. It felt like something was pressing against my chest about to fall out. It felt really heavy. I experienced "Thoughts of death" and cried a little. I have had acid reflux before, and this is not the same feeling. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
It sounds like it's time to have your heart checked out. I know about kids causing worry. I raised 3 of them and sometimes I wondered if they were going to make it to adulthood because of their foolish choices. They all did and they're great adults now. A heavy pressing feeling on the chest and that sense of doom can mean a heart problem. Without insurance it might be tough to just make an appt. some place for a cardiac workup. But that might be cheaper in the long run than a trip to ER one night. I've been having these strange chest "cramps" as I call them this past year. My doctor said if they last more than 3 minutes I should call for help (she said 911). The sharp pain in your shoulder may be gas. I've read that sharp pains usually are not associated with heart. If you can, get your heart checked for peace of mind if nothing else.