HEART DISEASE
FORUM
Palpitation Causes Cough
by Lisa Bowman, Oct 19, 1999
Some of my palpitations have started causing me to cough as if someone knocked the breath out of me.  What makes this happen??
Answer:
by CCF CARDIO MD - DLB, Oct 19, 1999
If the palpitations were due to a severe arrhythmia, then that could cause fluid build up in the lungs that could cause coughing. This would be very unlikely for mild palpitations though.
Member Comments (4)
by Andy, Oct 20, 1999
Lisa:

Several of us have posted the same general coughing reaction to PVCs (although some have indicated it is a more conscious act on their part to stop the PVCs).  Scroll down in this forum a bit and you will see a series of entries entitled "Exercise and PVCs."  I posted the question on coughing yesterday and there have been a few responses below.  Good luck.

Andy
by lisa, Oct 20, 1999
Thanks Andy.  It's interesting (and comforting) to know that others with pvcs have this cough.  Mine is definitely automatic.  I have tried not to cough and can't suppress it.    Thanks again.
by nancy, Oct 21, 1999
Lisa, I also have the PVC cough and have heard it is normal. I will be reading Andy's comments later in the list to see others reactions.
by kenn40, Jul 04, 2008
A related discussion, cough was started.
by Paul712, Jul 28, 2008
A related discussion, Arrhythmia causes me to cough was started.
by paranoia700, May 09, 2010
A related discussion, Anyone have more information on this was started.