Heart Disease Community
Palpitations/PVC/VT while running?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Palpitations/PVC/VT while running?

I'm a 30 y/o male, in great shape, run/lift daily, eat right (low caffeine/alcohol/fat/cholesterol consumption), low stress. Born with WPW, which was successfully ablated in 1996. No recurrence of tachycardia since.

While running, and especially while swimming, I often experience what I assume to be PVCs (uncontrolled stopping/flipping sensation in my heart). Sometimes I'm able to continue running and work through the irregularity, but on other days my heart beats so wildly that I have to stop running and walk instead. I would say that on a good day, I have maybe 5 events (isolated beats/sensations) while running; on a bad day--such as when I can't keep running--I experience several hundred strange beats.

I've had all kinds of cardiac workups done at reputable hospitals. EKG is normal sinus rhythm, ECHO is normal, holter monitor didn't turn up anything too alarming, and two-week event monitor captured many palpitations while running, which my cardiologist later classified as benign.

Needless to say, given my history of WPW and tachycardia, I'm hypersensitive to anything going on in my chest, and am very concerned when I experience palpitations/PVCs with such frequency while running. Events seem to be totally unrelated to my diet, rest/stress levels, or general physical or mental condition. Since my cardiologist didn't order a stress test or EPS, I have basically resigned myself to living with the daily nuisance of irregular heartbeats. But are there any other tests out there that might help diagnose the problem? Can anyone recommend anything? Does anyone have similar experiences? Thank you!      

I can totally (emphasizing: TOTALLY) relate to you. I am in the exactly same situation. The only difference I can see is that I have never had WPW, but an Atrial Flutter. Although I had a unsuccessful ablation, I keep having lots of PVC while running and swimming - which I like to do everyday.

I am glad you are 'resigned' to the situation, that means you are able to move on with your life, which is the right thing to do. I -- on the other hand-- just feel extremely depressed all the time.

Like you, I have bad and good days. Good ones means five-ten PVCs while running; a bad one means-- I don't know, hundreds of them. I know it is scary.

But you already had an event monitor which registered benign palpitations, so there is nothing to worry about. I think that's the best diagnosis you could get. And since you have a normal structured heart, the best you can do is just ignore them. That's what my EP always says: just pretend they are not there.

After several months living with PACs and PVCs while running/swimming (at least trying to), I have come to a few conclusions. Sleeping well, for me, is the best help, even though not always it stops my heart to act like a carnival drum.

I try not to eat so much. I avoid to run or swim in cold weather - for some reasons low temperatures tend to make my symptoms worse: one day I entered in the pool and the water was very cold.. well, I started having bigeminy of PVCs. I thought I was going to die, but, as you should know already, it never happens.

I try not to make vigorous exercises when I'm stressed. Running with extra adrenaline running in my blood doesn't help. I've noticed I usually get few PVCs when I'm in peace with myself, though I get depressed as soon as they show up, oh well.

People say eating apples and bananas help too because of the potassium/magnesium or something like it. Drinking water and keeping myself always hydrated is important - having a Gatorade after your running is a good choice.

I am sorry I wrote that much, I just felt a little happier knowing there's someone going through a such similar problem. The most important thing to do is jut to know you are OK, these symptoms are harmless and just enjoy your life.
Correction: I said I had an "unsuccessful" ablation but obviously I meant successful. That was a Freudian slip. :)
Oh, just to mention: I'm a 20 y/o male, no drink, smoke or have caffeine at all, exercise every day, eat perfectly. Yes, life is unfair.
I would ask for a Holter monitor and exercise with it on so you can see for sur what these events are.  Myself, I experience PACs while exercising.  On a great day I can get through 30 minutes of exercise with none, on a bad day I can have a few a minute.  There's no rhyme or reason, and it's quite frustrating.

See my post about fish oil though, supposedly regularly taking it can reduce arrhythmias.  But definitely ask for the Holter.  I have, and we've done it three times in the past year and a half, for certainty.
I am going through the same thing. I have had this for the last 2 years and I am going to get a Holter monitor this Wednesday, I have been told that it is because of anxiety - which could be true but the only thing that makes me anxious is my heart fluttering. I felt the need to write because of the comment on fish oil capsules - I would not reccomend taking them, I tried this because I saw that it strengthens your heart, but it made my symptoms worse, also vitamins are unregulated and never a good option if you can get the same benefits through food.