Heart Disease Community
Palpitations on Standing Up

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Palpitations on Standing Up

Is it normal to get palpiations on standing up?  It does not happen all the time but sometimes.  I can feel my heart beating forcefully in my neck and chest for a few seconds.  I dont think anything is wrong because I have had my heart checked.  Im just interested in knowing if anyone else has this?
Avatar n tn
It sounds perfectly normal.  When you stand up, the body's response is to increase your blood pressure to accomodate the sudden change in blood demand and distribution. Some folks even feel some "skips" in their heart rythym (due to a slight surge in adrenaline upon sudden postrue changes).

If all you feel are some normal beats, you're good to go.

-Arthur
I think palpitations can be normal in pretty much any setting if you've got the benign variety.
Avatar n tn
I do the same thing:(

If your heart is beating over 100 beats per minute when you stand up, you probably have tachcardia. I would consider making an appointment with your physician and getting your BP and pulse checked.
Avatar n tn
hey hun i also have fast heart rate when standing i have had it for 2 years. I have been to G.P lots of times but said am ok mine can reach upto 160bpm but does gradually go down. do try not to diagnose yourself it will send you loopy do see g p tho x x x
When I go to the squatting position, my heart beats forcefully for about 5-10 seconds. During this time, it also seems that it skips fourth or fifth beat (I know this because I've checked my pulse during the time). Also, I feel head pressure for a while. Is this normal, too?
Avatar n tn
I get a sense of shortness of breath when standing up sometimes, usually if i've been lazing around in the house.  I also get a headache that lasts for about half a minute.  If i go into a squatting position and then stand up i'm often short of breath and feel palpitations.

I can exercise fine though....

I've just seen a doctor today about it.  My BP on sitting was 124/76.  On standing it was 114/76.  She said this difference wasn't significant.  However I had walked to the surgery, so I was more energetic.  If she had done it after i'd been sat for a long time i expect it would have been different.

and what does the change in BP mean?  Once when i stood up too quick i had a real heaviness in my chest and down both arms, and dizzy.  I told the doctor and was told it's most likely postural hypotension.  it's a worry.  It only lasted about half a minute, but i felt 'fragile' after.  It didn't seem normal.  I mean if BP could go down that much surely the coronary arteries wouldn't be able to feed the heart for a while, that could be dangerous?
I'm 17 and experience this aswell my heart will beat hard for what seems to be over a minute, I can't say a sentence or anything and my chest will kinda hurt. I wore a 24 hour heart monitor about 6 months ago had 2 ekgs and blood test done but they found nothing. Now I do have absolutely horrible anxiety about my heart. Could this be it??
Hey Josh I'm 17 years old and I have the same symptoms. I've had them for about a year and it controls my life every day. I've had the same test( EKG Electrocardiogram, and blood test) but the doctors haven't found anything.