Heart Disease Expert Forum
Palpitations
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Palpitations

Hi, As of 1 week ago today I stopped taking my oral birth control as recommended by my Natropath. I have been on it for 16 years.  She is thinking that I may have a hormonal imbalance. I am barely 30 and have always been pretty healthy. As of August 2012 I had to stop eating gluten because I developed an allergy and as of my allergy testing last week I have now had to cut out beef and dairy. I have been under a lot of stress for the past few months so I figured that was to blame for some of this but symptoms of weight gain, NO sex drive, no emotions and debilitating fatigue just won't let up. I have had a TON of labs drawn and nothing is showing abnormal. electrolytes, thyroid, kidneys, liver ect  ALL are normal. My newest symptoms are tachycardia and palpitations that started yesterday. I just can't figure this out. Can these two new symptoms be related to stopping oral contraceptives?
1687176_tn?1321401609
It is always possible that stopping a medication that you have been on for an extended period of time could have some effects on the body.  However, I am unaware of any oral contraceptive on the market that is well known to cause such cardiac disturbances.  Additionally, the review of your symptoms would make other issues concerning such as depression as the root cause for such symptoms (weight changes, lack of sexual drive, difficulty concentrating/stress, etc).  Anxiety during times of stress may also contribute to feelings of palpitations.  If your initial laboratory testing is normal, that is reassuring that there are no other endocrinopathies affecting you. However, I would suggest having a routine follow-up with your regular physician who can go over all your reported symptoms to determine if further testing is warranted such as an EKG and/or holter monitor.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank