Heart Disease Expert Forum
Palps

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Palps

Just quickly, I am 54, have an on demand pacemaker and one stint, and two months past my RF ablation surgery.  I have been been VERY symptomatic when I go into (slow) afib. I have been doing much better since surgery. The last few day I have been having palpitations? missed and extra beats (about 10/min).  They are causing dizzyness, and fatigue.  I told my cardiologist that it is hard to function like this, especially going to work (when is technical work). I am taking ld aspirin and coumadin. I also take 320mg of betapace (sotalol). I called the cardiologist she says ' there is nothing we can do for you.'    I find this hard to believe, it has been 4 days now, if it doesn't improve, is it possible to cardiovert me back to sinus rythym? If it is a slim chance it will work couldn't I demand to try it anyway.  Thank you very much for your help. I am really at the end of my rope with these problems.
Tags: Betapace
I think you should be cardioverted if your AF is symptomatic.  Some people feel their best in NSR.  There is no concern about you being too slow because you already have a pacemaker.  The other thing is that you pacer may not be set to mode switch appropriately when you are in AF, potentially pacing too slow, causing you to have symptoms.  Also, the betapace can make people feel lousy especially at this high a dose.  you should also have your kidney function checked to make sure that it is stable because when unstable it can cause the betapace to build up in the system. therefore, there are a few options that you should explore.