Heart Disease Community
Paroxymal Atrial Tachycardia and enlarge right ventricle
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Paroxymal Atrial Tachycardia and enlarge right ventricle

I had an arterial ultrasound done on the arteries of the neck due to some extremely intermittent fainting or mostly light headedness.  The test showed PAT or Paroxymal Atrial Tachycardia.  Before this I wore a Holter Heart Monitor for a day and it showed quick and short episodes of heart beats up to 150 bpm even when sleeping or resting.

An Echocardiogram after that showed an enlarged right ventricle.  The cardiologist who administered the Echo indicated very minor mitral valve leakage.

Prior to the surgery below, I was having occasional fainting spells due to circulatory problems.  The right lung was crowding the heart which in turn was crowding the left lung.
In 1964 at 12 years of age, I had a Pectus Excavatum (funnel chest) where my curled under sternum was a quarter inch from my spine.  Of course, this was a birth defect.  Corrective surgery:  1/3 of lower sternum cut off; both sides of lower ribs recurved with support;  during surgery, my heart stopped once (internal heart massage to start), one lung collapsed (think it was the right lung), the other lung partially collapsed in ICU.  Since this surgery, I have verified through an anatomy lab in college and by a pulmonologist that my vital lung capacity is half of a full grown adult (mine are 2.8-2.9L.

The cardiologist said that it would be invaluable if I had the records for this surgery but the records were so old that they were destroyed.

I am very active in that prior to neck surgery in May, 03', I had run about 36 marathons and 10-12 Ultramarathons between 1993 and 2002.

I would like to know possible problems, if any, that I might have.