Heart Disease Expert Forum
Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO) and Pregnancy
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO) and Pregnancy

I'm a 36 year old woman, about 22 weeks pregnant with my second child.  I was diagnosed with idiopathic pericarditis a few weeks ago after complaining of chest pressure and shortness of breath.  I was prescribed a Medrol dosepack.  A follow-up echocardiogram showed evidence of a small patent foramen ovale with left to right shunting.  (My docs have attributed other findings in the echocardiogram -- mild left atrial enlargement, trivial mitral, tricuspid and pulmonary valve insufficiency -- to pregnancy.) I am very concerned however about the PFO and am not sure how to proceed.  How serious is this?  Could it impact my pregnancy?  How should I follow up, evaluate and monitor the condition after my pregnancy?  Any advice will be most appreciated!
Related Discussions
239757_tn?1213813182
bluedogbrush,

Generally atrial septal defects and patent foramen ovales are well tolerated during pregnancy. The biggest worry is the possiblity of a stroke or other embolism with the defect letting flow move from the right side of the heart to the left. While there are a few case reports, they are generally pretty rare and most likely nothing further needs to be done with you.

I would discuss the finding with your OB Gyn and go from there.

good luck
3 Comments
Blank
Approximately 1/4 of the US population has a PFO, so no I wouldn't be too worried.  It's nothing I would follow up on, but that's just me talking.
Blank
I am 18weeks pregnant and have just been diagnosed with a Patent Foramen Ovale. I have had two T.I.A's and are now on twice daily injections of Hepran. Do you think there is any chance of my unborn child having the same condition at birth that I now have and what does my condition mean to me after my child is born. Will I have to have an operation as my doctor is suggesting. Or could I live with the condition?????
Blank
A related discussion, pregnant women with pfo was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank