Aa
A
A
Close
Pectus Excavatum (Is mine bad) Picture included
I need to know how severe my pectus excavatum (funnel chest) is!

http://imageupload.com/~imageupl/show.php/54042_P00033.JPG.html

This is when im standing straight up...

Thanks!
Cancel
4 Answers
Page 1 of 1
21064 tn?1309312333
I am not a doctor so I didn't check out the picture (I wouldn't know good from bad..lol).  Has your doctor said anything about the pectus excavatum?  I was told, in my early 20's, that I have pectus excavatum, and so far (I'm 50) it has not been a problem.  For what it's worth, I think it is often associated with a straight back. Good luck
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
It's kinda hard to tell from a picture, truthfully.  You don't say how old you are, but I think that once you go through puberty it is not likely to worsen.  One of my boys has a pectus that looked like yours but has never caused him a problem.  In fact, he was a D1 distance swimmer.  Just ask your doctor what s/he thinks.  What we think doesn't really matter!
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
I'm certainly not a doc either, but I also have pectus excavatum, and your's doesn't look bad compared to mine... Mine is more of a deeper cup shape in my sternum... The doctors I've asked have not been concerned, I would'nt worry about it unless you are self conscious, but your's isnt bad at all so I wouldnt be. Ask your doctor the next time you have an appt.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
OMG !  I apparently have a problem and didn't even know it.  Comparing you to me chest-wise, I don't think you have a problem.  Mine is much worse.   Nobody complained about it when they hacked it open for bypass surgery, and I had never thought of it as a problem.

That being said,  if you were of the female persuasion, THEN I'd say you got a definite problem.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1318997813
Blank
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1440481484
Blank
Netherlands