Heart Disease Expert Forum
Pediatric Mechanical Valve Duration
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Pediatric Mechanical Valve Duration

Our son was born in Feb. 2002, and diagnosed with a severe murmur in April.  Root cause was ALCAPA, which was caught and surgically re-implanted correctly. Ischemia to the valve left it with scar tissue. He remains on several meds, incl. Lasix, Prevacid (for reflux), aldactone, analapril, and sodium. Valve leakage remains "significant".  Our physicians tell us as long as he is growing, we are okay.  When fatigue sets in or he stops growing, the valve will have to be replaced. They anticipate that point in 5-6 years, but would prefer to wait until he is in his early teens.

My question is, how durable are mechanical valves?  Is there a preference (besides avoiding another surgery) in using an adult valve versus a child's valve?  And, will he be limited in activities with the valve?  We have already been told that organized sports are out, as are any contact sports. Blows to the chest are not allowed.  After the valve replacement, will any of this change?

Thanks in advance for your response.