Heart Disease Community
Pericardial Effusion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Pericardial Effusion

Hi all--if you can stand to read this brief history, I'd appreciate any firsthand experience or first-rate info you can offer:

In November 2009, I went to the ER late at night for a 104 degree (and climbing) fever.  They were unable to tell me what was wrong, only that it was a viral infection.  I went home with a diagnosis of "viral pharyngitis," which made no mention of sores inside my mouth and on my lips.  They noted my high pulse, but attributed it only to fever.  I took the usual ibuprofen-acetaminophen combo until the fever went away.  The sores went away within a week.  The staff at the ER referred to my blood work as "very good."

Then, in December 2009, I went to the ER a second time with a pulse of 120, but no other symptoms.  They did an echocardiogram and found I had a pericardial effusion.  I was told to take ibuprofen and that it would go away on its own in a few weeks.  My blood work was again pronounced "very good."

It's now nearing March 2010 and though for a while between January and February my pulse improved, it is now getting worse and on top of it, I have chest discomfort and slight shortness of breath.  I am concerned the problem is getting worse, and looking for answers as to what could be wrong.

Previously, I ran twice weekly.  Only recently I have tried running again, but my pulse goes above 160 if I run 6 mph for 2.5 minutes, which is considerably higher than usual.  For example, in October 2009, I ran 6 mph for 2.5 minutes and my pulse barely broke 130.

In particular, what could cause such a problem?  I was initially afraid I might have HIV; however, I do not engage in risky behavior and myself and my partner have both tested HIV negative in October and January.
- Could a coxsackie virus have caused the initial infection and the effusion?
- Could HSV-1 have been the culprit?  I recently discovered that my partner's roommate has HSV-1, because she uses a topical ointment for cold sores.

Could a virus cause a prolonged effusion such as I have?  If not, what could?

If I was administered minocycline (orally) 8 years ago, would this have any effect on my pericardium that would make me more vulnerable to a pericardial effusion?

If this persists, can it have long-term effects on my heart (e.g. thicken the muscle or anything like that)?

And lastly, of course--  ADVICE?  Anything OTC I can take before I decide to make an appointment to get another echo and see what's what, at the expense of time and money I don't have?