Pericardial cysts and removal
I have a pericardial cyst. I have dyspnea. A ct was done and the cyst was discovered. After doing research, I discovered that a pericardial cyst can cause tachycardia, hypertension, dyspnea, pain, and palpitations. I have all of those problems and have had them for about 3-4 yrs. According to my dr.'s, they don't want to remove it because it's not large enough. So, how is it possible to know what size a cyst needs to be to cause the symptoms a person has? Why wouldn't a smaller cyst cause the problems I'm having? How can they know that it's not responsible? And who should I go to if I want to have it removed even if my Dr. wants to let it get larger than a grapefruit?
I had a pericardial cyst removed it May of this year.  It measured 7cm x 9cm x 3 cm thick.  For numerous years i've known "something" was up but wasn't sure what.  Finally the cyst was found by "accident" during a chest CT scan.  My family doctor and her cardiologist (who I don't put much faith in) told me that all they do is watch it and won't remove it until if/when it becomes problematic.  I wasn't satisfied with this so I contact a very large university hospital here in Toronto and met with one of their head Thoracic surgeons.  He advised that because it had been growing since 2003 (though it was never reported on FIVE different CT Scans) it without question had to be removed. It was done via VATS surgery and I was out of the hospital in 2 days.  The recovery was pretty simple.  My view is, if it's not meant to be there get rid of it.  Fortunately, the surgeon had the same opinion.  If your not happy with the opinion you've gotten, seek one elsewhere.  If we don't manage our own medical care, nobody is going to do it for us.
How are you feeling now that you have had the cyst removed? Are all the symptoms you had gone now that it was removed? Did you have chest pain with yours as well? I have a cyst that measures 4 x 6 right now but have to followup with the Dr this month to see if it has grown in the last 6 months. I feel the same way you do, if it doesn't belong there, get rid of it. I am afraid to leave it as I do not know what my health will be later in life and it might be more risky to have it removed then. What do you think?
I was recenctly diagnosed with a pericaridial cyst it measures around 6cm.  I had an echocartiagraph done thursday and go back thursday to discuss the next step.  The cyst was discovered after sever pain caused my regalur dr to order a cat scan thinking my gallbladder was the issue again.  I had a similair pain and a similiar test done in April of 2008.  In the previous Cat scan there was no cyst.  I have extreme shortness of breathe, nausua, loss of appattite, persisnant cough and just a general run down feeling.  All of which I attribbutted to other various possible things, and ignored.  I am 32 years old and quit smoking a little over 4 years ago.  And I honestly can say that if all this is because of the cyst I want it out as much as surgery scares me(woke up in middle of one as kid was a bit tramatic)
I have a pericardial cyst that is 5cm.   6 months ago it measured 4cm.  I went to the ER a few weeks ago because I feel pain and pressure in my chest and have a persistent cough.  The dumb ***** at the ER told me it has gotten bigger and just told me to see a cardiologist and sent me home.  So what do I do in the mean time?  I can't get in to my cardiologist for two months because they are booked.  I feel like someone is sitting on my chest and I am having trouble breathing, but send me home to fend for myself!  I just cannot believe the nerve of some of these idiot doctors!  They forget how precious life is!  If your name is doctor Simmons who works in an ER in Utah County, just **** off why don't you?  I have never been treated so bad before!  They all just think your "out to get pain pills" if you go to the doc because you are hurting!  That is the first thing that pops into their little minds, instead of wondering what is making the patient hurt!  But you can bet your *** that if that dip **** doctor had one of these cysts in their chest, no matter the size, they would have it removed immediately!  I have had other pretty serious health issues and I am so sick of dealing with the "no it all" doctors, you know the one's that talk down to you?   When you see a doctor, YOU are hiring THEM!  That should make YOU their BOSS!  So the next time I have to deal with one of those kind of doctors, I will FIRE them and I wont do it politely!  You think your so smart doctor??  Well guess what *******, I am a computer technician and I HAVE MORE BRAINS in my frontal lobe then you have in your whole ignorant brain!  ............And if your one of those GREAT doctors, Thank you so much!! To know your life is in good hands means so much!!!!!!!
Hi, I just read your post and I just want to tell you how sorry I am that you had such a stressful experience at the ER.  Three years ago I was diagnosed with two pericardial cysts (2 and 3 cm) found by accident on a calium scan when I was in the ER for a diverticulitus attack.  In February I went to the ER for chest pains and they ran many tests in the 20 hour period I was there and found nothing.  They never mentioned the cysts which I knew I had but had totally forgotten about because my cardiologist just blew it off 3 years ago saying they were probably there my whole life and I just didn't know about it.    Just last week I underwent a CT scan to see if they had grown and after 3 years they are now doubled at 5 and 6 cm each.  I have two cardiologists and both are going on vacation and can't be seen for two weeks but the kinder of the two said that I can either have them removed or wait until they get bigger and they HAVE to be removed.  I also still have that non-discript chest pain and a cough.  The cardiologist said that the arrythmia I have (which is contolled by a med called tikosyn) could have been started by the cysts.  He said that removal of the cysts, while invasive of course is not as big a surgery as, say, open heart surgery.  He also said they may be able to aspirate them but I have heard that they may come back with that.
Have you heard of the Cleaveland Clinic--a major cutting edge hosital for heart problems.  I may try to get a consult there.  Pericardial cysts are very rare so finding a doc who has had experience removing them may be a challenge but I'm certain they are out there.  I hope you will not stress yourself out with doctors who are insensive--just move on to another until you find someone who will help.  Meanwhile it doesn't seem like our cysts are extreemely life threatening at this time but I know the pain itself is stressfull as it is a constant reminder that something is wrong!

I am 14 and christmas is in 3 days and i just found out that i have a  pericardial cyst... i cant get into a doctor till the 6th of January and im terrified. i was wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect. the doctors told me i will have to have surgery and like i said im terrified. so if anyone can explain to me what exactly to expect and anything i should do to prepare or anything to be cautious of. this would be really helpful :(
I was just told today that I have a Pericardial cyst and I just started radiation therapy for breast cancer.  I don't know what to do about radiation because my PCP and Radiation oncologist seem stumped as to what they should do.  Isn't that a scary thought?  It seems that in May of 09 I had a CT scan and it showed up on that scan, and no one bothered to tell me then , I had another on Jan. 2011 and I find out today that I have this cyst that has been growing.  I am frustrated and scared,  Can anyone tell me more about these types of cysts?
Hi.  I just had a pericardial cyst removed on Monday and was discharged today.  My heart surgeon told me that my cyst was the size of a grapefruit.  Surgery went well (better than I thought it would go).  If you have a pericardial cyst and it's large, definitely have it removed!
What did you do to get your heart surgeon to even perform the surgery?  I've been back & forth with my primary care doctor who vacillates between "not to worry about it" to it is big".  I've had chest X-rays and a CT Scan.  I thought I found a thoracic surgeon who was willing to see me (2nd opinion), but he wanted to see results of MRI first.  Of course, the MRI was denied because the health insurance team deemed it "medically unnecessary".  The size of my cyst is 2.3 x 3.2 cm, and I do have some discomfort.  I saw a cardiologist, had a echocardiogram, and a pulmonary function and stress test, but nobody's hair is on fire about this.  What does a person have to do to get this surgery?!?!?  thank you.
I live in GA and Dr. Gott in Atlanta removed mine in 2011 ....Wonderful doctor wonderful hospital ....
I read your comment on the removal of your pericardical cyst .  I have just had my second CT and now confirmed that my cyst is on the left side and 16 cm large. Since these seem to be rare I cannot find anyone that has experience in the removal of this type of cyst.  Where did you have yours done? Did you find any research on how to find surgeons with experience in this procedure.
I hope to hear from you ASAP to be able to get some peace of mind
I'm curious also about the dangers. I also need surgery but dr.'s waiver on confidence of removal and who is best suited. It's so frustrating to not know what risks are worth it with these conditions. I wish the experience was as certain as their confidence.
Who did your surgery, a heart or lung specialist?  I have been told the lung surgeon is more qualified which confuses me. Shouldn't the cyst be removed by cardiac surgeon since the cyst stems from the heart? I don't know the best decision as the lung surgeon's website shows no experiencd with the heart.
I was diagnosed with a pericardial cyst 3 years ago. It was 9.7cm a year ago. Now it is 6.4cm which is still large. I live in Knoxville Tennessee. I'm having trouble finding a cardio surgeon who has had experience removing these since they are so rare. Last Saturday I was taken to ER by ambulance thinking I was having a heart attack. I wasn't , Thank God. They did a CT on my chest with contrast and found some fluid under right lung base, along with the cyst still there, but has decreased in size. I am concerned about having this pericardial cyst removed, because it is a risky surgery. I don't know anyone here that has had one that I can talk to. How are you doing Now? Can you tell me about the surgery and post surgery. They aren't sure where the fluid is coming from, may've another problem or from the cyst.  This is a challenge because it is so rare. I am thinking about getting a consult at Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN. Thank you so much for your info.
Could you tell me who did your surgery? I have a large pericardial cyst was 9.7 CM now 6.4CM. How did the surgery go and post surgery.  Having trouble finding a Dr. with experience.  Also fluid under right lung base. Thank you for your info.
I had a large pericardial cyst about 7×1 cm, removed last week via VATS. It had grown a lot within 6 mos and was causing heart and lung problems. I went to an urgent care clinic and the doc there was very concerned so she ordered the CT. I can't believe so many other drs say to ignore it, my lung specialist said if it would have been in longer my lung would have died, I was having chest pain,tachycardia, weightloss and a bit of high blood pressure and pneumonia symptoms.  A cardio-thorasic surgeon is the one that performed my surgery. Worst part of the surgery was the chest tube and the pain on my wrist from the arterial line.
I too have a pericardial cyst I actually am seeing the sergeon tomorrow my concern / question is after the surgery is over and am on my way to recovery what is my likely hood of still having the pain and breathing problem my cardiologist  keeps saying what if you still are having the pain after for those who have had these surgerys did you have relief after the removal of the cyst
Although your surgery was back in 2012 just wondering if you've had resolution to your systems
is the surgery fast? I am scared and the cyst was found back in May 2014 and now its August..its weird because these past weeks I suddenly have to found a good sleeping position to sleep...or i have to get up to breathe..anyone experience this?
The surgery isnt too bad. It has been 9 months for me and I am glad its out, I havent really had any breathing problems since it was removed. But I do have a little pain still where the chest tube was.
Look for a cardio-thoracic surgeon.
I am 62yrs old I was having chest pain from a bad reaction of taking antibiotic that should not have been subscribed to me and went to ER by accident and they gave me a CT scan and found that I have a pericardial cyst on the right side of my pericardial region that measures 7.7x3.3x3.7cm they also discovered a mass in the right adrenal gland that measures 23x20.  I just learned of this Oct 13 2014. I am currently doing research cause I don't know How big these measures are but want to check into having surgery.  I have a constant cough.  My problem is I have medical and I need to find a good doctor.  I live in the Los Angeles area and I do not trust these doctors here
I just had this surgery done on Dec 4th by VATS and it was no walk in the park.  I had chest pain, shortness of breath and over all tiredness. I went to the hospital with what I thought were stroke symptoms and they found this cyst. It was 10cm X8cm, I spent 4 days in the hospital and the recovery has been very hard.  A lot of pain and discomfort and I still can't feel my right side. I hoping this will get better as time goes by. I can't say my symptoms have improved since I am still  in recovery mode but will keep everyone posted.
Today is my 7th day out of VATS for a 7cm pericardial cyst removal.  Had been living with this worry for 8 years and finally found this Robotic Surgery Surgeon who was willing to take a look at it and have it removed.  Recovery has been slow but steady, I did suffer shortness of breath on the 3rd day after the surgery and the incisions are still painful specially the one where they took the cyst out from. Pathology came back negative and I am so happy the cyst is gone.
what hospital removed your cyst
do you know if a pericardial cyst can fall off and pass through your digestive system
That is so awesome with the reply of if it doesn't belong there, then it should be gone!!! My doctor that I just had an appointment with pretty much left it up to me and in my hands. My concern is it maybe cancerous. He said that chances are that it isn't, but with my mothers whole side that have passed away due to cancer except her so far. She has battled cancer and so far is winning.....made me feel as though I should have it removed. Why wait and monitor it and find out later that it is malignant and then have to deal with removing something that may have gotten bigger and be cancerous and then have to deal with chemo and radiation....Chances are, maybe not....but I don't want to find out later that I SHOULD have removed it sooner. So its a go for me, now I just have to go through the insurance hoops..../=
It going on a year with my pericardial cyst. In late 2014 it was 2.5 X 3.5. In April of 2015 it went to 4.5 X 3.4X 2.5. A few weeks ago I had my check up and all the tests once again. Its maintained the size. I have symptoms everyone on this community has described. I finally have my cardiologist appointment yesterday. she wants me wait till it gets bigger. But was open minded enough to put me in with a surgeon to see if he will do it.. and go over what to expect. I wish it was not hard to get doctors on track with this type of abnormality on the heart. I am tired of monitoring, test etc that are just going to keep racking in the bills. I rather be done and move on from this all. I was told it is growing toward the lung, which I guess is better than growing inward and toward the heart. But I have barely 3cm between the cyst and the lung now. Anyone able to say anything of advice on how to deal with the meeting with the surgeon to get him to do the removal and move on from this. .
on my chest xray they found a mass, then they refered me to doctor of internal medicine,and he told me for a ctscan I have a pericardial cyst the size is 3x3.2x6.2cm, after a ctscan
Hi, I had a right pericardial cyst removed on 2nd March 2016, it was in the diaphragm, I am recovering well, it was the size of a fist, test and benign, I had the operation in the Royal Brompton Chelsea, my surgeon mr Simon Jordan said they are rare but he sees one a year, please do not stress I was concerned when no one had seen one until I went to a specialist heart and lung hospital, 11 days into recovery, home 4 days after surgery, feel great obviously still on pain relief, but the symptoms of breathlessness, dizziness and uncomfort when I ate or drink , I have no regret I had the surgery, wish everyone well
Symptoms all gone
I have a pericardial cyst on the apex of my heart that has quadrupled in size since last June.  I'm having GERD, coughing, chest pain, and shoulder pain.  Where is your dr and hospital that you had this done.  I'm in Johnson City, TN and there aren't any doctors here that do VAT surgery or other less invasive surgery.  I don't feel I need open heart surgery for this.  Any suggestions?