Heart Disease Community
Pericardial cysts and removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Pericardial cysts and removal

I have a pericardial cyst. I have dyspnea. A ct was done and the cyst was discovered. After doing research, I discovered that a pericardial cyst can cause tachycardia, hypertension, dyspnea, pain, and palpitations. I have all of those problems and have had them for about 3-4 yrs. According to my dr.'s, they don't want to remove it because it's not large enough. So, how is it possible to know what size a cyst needs to be to cause the symptoms a person has? Why wouldn't a smaller cyst cause the problems I'm having? How can they know that it's not responsible? And who should I go to if I want to have it removed even if my Dr. wants to let it get larger than a grapefruit?
I had a pericardial cyst removed it May of this year.  It measured 7cm x 9cm x 3 cm thick.  For numerous years i've known "something" was up but wasn't sure what.  Finally the cyst was found by "accident" during a chest CT scan.  My family doctor and her cardiologist (who I don't put much faith in) told me that all they do is watch it and won't remove it until if/when it becomes problematic.  I wasn't satisfied with this so I contact a very large university hospital here in Toronto and met with one of their head Thoracic surgeons.  He advised that because it had been growing since 2003 (though it was never reported on FIVE different CT Scans) it without question had to be removed. It was done via VATS surgery and I was out of the hospital in 2 days.  The recovery was pretty simple.  My view is, if it's not meant to be there get rid of it.  Fortunately, the surgeon had the same opinion.  If your not happy with the opinion you've gotten, seek one elsewhere.  If we don't manage our own medical care, nobody is going to do it for us.
How are you feeling now that you have had the cyst removed? Are all the symptoms you had gone now that it was removed? Did you have chest pain with yours as well? I have a cyst that measures 4 x 6 right now but have to followup with the Dr this month to see if it has grown in the last 6 months. I feel the same way you do, if it doesn't belong there, get rid of it. I am afraid to leave it as I do not know what my health will be later in life and it might be more risky to have it removed then. What do you think?
I was recenctly diagnosed with a pericaridial cyst it measures around 6cm.  I had an echocartiagraph done thursday and go back thursday to discuss the next step.  The cyst was discovered after sever pain caused my regalur dr to order a cat scan thinking my gallbladder was the issue again.  I had a similair pain and a similiar test done in April of 2008.  In the previous Cat scan there was no cyst.  I have extreme shortness of breathe, nausua, loss of appattite, persisnant cough and just a general run down feeling.  All of which I attribbutted to other various possible things, and ignored.  I am 32 years old and quit smoking a little over 4 years ago.  And I honestly can say that if all this is because of the cyst I want it out as much as surgery scares me(woke up in middle of one as kid was a bit tramatic)
I have a pericardial cyst that is 5cm.   6 months ago it measured 4cm.  I went to the ER a few weeks ago because I feel pain and pressure in my chest and have a persistent cough.  The dumb ***** at the ER told me it has gotten bigger and just told me to see a cardiologist and sent me home.  So what do I do in the mean time?  I can't get in to my cardiologist for two months because they are booked.  I feel like someone is sitting on my chest and I am having trouble breathing, but send me home to fend for myself!  I just cannot believe the nerve of some of these idiot doctors!  They forget how precious life is!  If your name is doctor Simmons who works in an ER in Utah County, just **** off why don't you?  I have never been treated so bad before!  They all just think your "out to get pain pills" if you go to the doc because you are hurting!  That is the first thing that pops into their little minds, instead of wondering what is making the patient hurt!  But you can bet your *** that if that dip **** doctor had one of these cysts in their chest, no matter the size, they would have it removed immediately!  I have had other pretty serious health issues and I am so sick of dealing with the "no it all" doctors, you know the one's that talk down to you?   When you see a doctor, YOU are hiring THEM!  That should make YOU their BOSS!  So the next time I have to deal with one of those kind of doctors, I will FIRE them and I wont do it politely!  You think your so smart doctor??  Well guess what *******, I am a computer technician and I HAVE MORE BRAINS in my frontal lobe then you have in your whole ignorant brain!  ............And if your one of those GREAT doctors, Thank you so much!! To know your life is in good hands means so much!!!!!!!
Hi, I just read your post and I just want to tell you how sorry I am that you had such a stressful experience at the ER.  Three years ago I was diagnosed with two pericardial cysts (2 and 3 cm) found by accident on a calium scan when I was in the ER for a diverticulitus attack.  In February I went to the ER for chest pains and they ran many tests in the 20 hour period I was there and found nothing.  They never mentioned the cysts which I knew I had but had totally forgotten about because my cardiologist just blew it off 3 years ago saying they were probably there my whole life and I just didn't know about it.    Just last week I underwent a CT scan to see if they had grown and after 3 years they are now doubled at 5 and 6 cm each.  I have two cardiologists and both are going on vacation and can't be seen for two weeks but the kinder of the two said that I can either have them removed or wait until they get bigger and they HAVE to be removed.  I also still have that non-discript chest pain and a cough.  The cardiologist said that the arrythmia I have (which is contolled by a med called tikosyn) could have been started by the cysts.  He said that removal of the cysts, while invasive of course is not as big a surgery as, say, open heart surgery.  He also said they may be able to aspirate them but I have heard that they may come back with that.
Have you heard of the Cleaveland Clinic--a major cutting edge hosital for heart problems.  I may try to get a consult there.  Pericardial cysts are very rare so finding a doc who has had experience removing them may be a challenge but I'm certain they are out there.  I hope you will not stress yourself out with doctors who are insensive--just move on to another until you find someone who will help.  Meanwhile it doesn't seem like our cysts are extreemely life threatening at this time but I know the pain itself is stressfull as it is a constant reminder that something is wrong!

I am 14 and christmas is in 3 days and i just found out that i have a  pericardial cyst... i cant get into a doctor till the 6th of January and im terrified. i was wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect. the doctors told me i will have to have surgery and like i said im terrified. so if anyone can explain to me what exactly to expect and anything i should do to prepare or anything to be cautious of. this would be really helpful :(
I was just told today that I have a Pericardial cyst and I just started radiation therapy for breast cancer.  I don't know what to do about radiation because my PCP and Radiation oncologist seem stumped as to what they should do.  Isn't that a scary thought?  It seems that in May of 09 I had a CT scan and it showed up on that scan, and no one bothered to tell me then , I had another on Jan. 2011 and I find out today that I have this cyst that has been growing.  I am frustrated and scared,  Can anyone tell me more about these types of cysts?
Hi.  I just had a pericardial cyst removed on Monday and was discharged today.  My heart surgeon told me that my cyst was the size of a grapefruit.  Surgery went well (better than I thought it would go).  If you have a pericardial cyst and it's large, definitely have it removed!
What did you do to get your heart surgeon to even perform the surgery?  I've been back & forth with my primary care doctor who vacillates between "not to worry about it" to it is big".  I've had chest X-rays and a CT Scan.  I thought I found a thoracic surgeon who was willing to see me (2nd opinion), but he wanted to see results of MRI first.  Of course, the MRI was denied because the health insurance team deemed it "medically unnecessary".  The size of my cyst is 2.3 x 3.2 cm, and I do have some discomfort.  I saw a cardiologist, had a echocardiogram, and a pulmonary function and stress test, but nobody's hair is on fire about this.  What does a person have to do to get this surgery?!?!?  thank you.
I live in GA and Dr. Gott in Atlanta removed mine in 2011 ....Wonderful doctor wonderful hospital ....
I read your comment on the removal of your pericardical cyst .  I have just had my second CT and now confirmed that my cyst is on the left side and 16 cm large. Since these seem to be rare I cannot find anyone that has experience in the removal of this type of cyst.  Where did you have yours done? Did you find any research on how to find surgeons with experience in this procedure.
I hope to hear from you ASAP to be able to get some peace of mind
I'm curious also about the dangers. I also need surgery but dr.'s waiver on confidence of removal and who is best suited. It's so frustrating to not know what risks are worth it with these conditions. I wish the experience was as certain as their confidence.
Who did your surgery, a heart or lung specialist?  I have been told the lung surgeon is more qualified which confuses me. Shouldn't the cyst be removed by cardiac surgeon since the cyst stems from the heart? I don't know the best decision as the lung surgeon's website shows no experiencd with the heart.
I was diagnosed with a pericardial cyst 3 years ago. It was 9.7cm a year ago. Now it is 6.4cm which is still large. I live in Knoxville Tennessee. I'm having trouble finding a cardio surgeon who has had experience removing these since they are so rare. Last Saturday I was taken to ER by ambulance thinking I was having a heart attack. I wasn't , Thank God. They did a CT on my chest with contrast and found some fluid under right lung base, along with the cyst still there, but has decreased in size. I am concerned about having this pericardial cyst removed, because it is a risky surgery. I don't know anyone here that has had one that I can talk to. How are you doing Now? Can you tell me about the surgery and post surgery. They aren't sure where the fluid is coming from, may've another problem or from the cyst.  This is a challenge because it is so rare. I am thinking about getting a consult at Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN. Thank you so much for your info.
Could you tell me who did your surgery? I have a large pericardial cyst was 9.7 CM now 6.4CM. How did the surgery go and post surgery.  Having trouble finding a Dr. with experience.  Also fluid under right lung base. Thank you for your info.
I had a large pericardial cyst about 7×1 cm, removed last week via VATS. It had grown a lot within 6 mos and was causing heart and lung problems. I went to an urgent care clinic and the doc there was very concerned so she ordered the CT. I can't believe so many other drs say to ignore it, my lung specialist said if it would have been in longer my lung would have died, I was having chest pain,tachycardia, weightloss and a bit of high blood pressure and pneumonia symptoms.  A cardio-thorasic surgeon is the one that performed my surgery. Worst part of the surgery was the chest tube and the pain on my wrist from the arterial line.
I too have a pericardial cyst I actually am seeing the sergeon tomorrow my concern / question is after the surgery is over and am on my way to recovery what is my likely hood of still having the pain and breathing problem my cardiologist  keeps saying what if you still are having the pain after for those who have had these surgerys did you have relief after the removal of the cyst
Although your surgery was back in 2012 just wondering if you've had resolution to your systems