Heart Disease Community
Pericarditis and Severe Pain

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Pericarditis and Severe Pain

My daughter was diagnosed with pericarditis after having undergone two ablations in close order in October and November.  She is currently taking Colchicine twice a day along with naprosen and #5 vicodin as needed.  The pain has become unbearable and she has been forced to drop one class from her 3L law school schedule and reduce the time she works in the clinic.  Her EP is hesitant to put her on a steroid protocol, but I can't find any other treatment that might help her.  Does anyone have any experience with pericarditis and severe pain that colchicine does not help??
My wife had pericarditis post ablation also.  The lacation of the ablation was burned extensively and it damaged the pericardium.  It has been 2 months since and she still experiences some pain especially after exertion.  She was in the hospital for a week with excruciating pain, and is just now starting to feel a little better.  She was treated with prednisone, colchisine and endocine.  That took care of the pericarditis, but the pain still lingers from the ablation injury itself.  She takes pain meds to get through the worst of the pain when needed, and controls it with Advil.  Our understanding is that this just takes time to heal.  She's healing but still has a way to go.  Tell your daughter to hang in there.