Heart Disease Community
Pericarditis detected

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Pericarditis detected

My Aunt was yesterday diagnoised with Pericarditis with thickened Pericardium and mild effusion in the MRI test done. She is diabetic and had a Tubeculosis in the Spine which was treated and the lesion was resolved as per the doctor.
       I was wondering if minimal invasive surgical procedure is available. What are the options apart from medication available for treatment? Please let us know. How complex is the surgery?

Thanks,
Steve
Hi Steve, I had pericarditis year half ago and they started me with Indocin (anti-inflamatory drug) but a week later I needed surgery because I had large amount of fluid and needed to be drained and removed 3cm of my heart lining and is also thickned. When I went home from hospital i went to see a specialist that specializes in echocardiogram and prescribed Colchicine (because Indocin was making me sicker) as of today I have had no problems. I was on Colchicine for 3months.  I hope everything goes well with your Aunt.
   Thanks for sharing your experience. How complex is the surgery? Does it need bed rest? Can you please let me know.

I could not do anything after i left the hospital.  Everytime i took the Indocin it made so weak that i need to rest.  I stopped it. One month later I went for a second opinion, he put me on colchicine.  I had surgery on the 13th of June and 2 week later I was on my feet doing my everyday chores.  I was lucky that I dont work during summer.  By Aug 14 I was on 14 day tour to Italy.  
The surgery was not long between prep and recovery total 5hrs.
I have no restriction of any kind. My stress test 6month later was better than the one I had 5 years earlier.

Do they know what coused it?  My was some virus.  I now had pneumonia shot, and i have a receive a flu shot every year.

Again i wish your aunt well.
    Thanks again for yoiur reply. She might have got this through TB, which doctors suspect. I was wondering, how long is the surgery... I heard that a needle has to be passed to extract the fluid. Do they give anesthesia.. Do you recommend any Hospitals for this.

I am sorry for anyone who has pericarditis.  I was diagnosed on Dec 18th.  Even though I had wonderful supportive and quick diagnosis and treatment, I still have rapid heart beats, shortness of breath and fatigue.  The most recent tests are negative for additional fluid build up, although there was some initially, but not enough to cause a procedure.  The pain is better, but I still can't lie down, exercise, eat a normal amount (hiccups or worsening of increased heart rate) and the shortness of breath is almost worse than it was orginally.  My doctor said that it takes 3 months to recover fully.  Has anyone else had continuing symptoms one month after initial acute diagnosis?  I usually very healthy and this is really getting me down.
I was just diagnosed a few days ago and was doing some research online when I found this thread.

There is a little comfort knowing there are other people out there with the same symptoms, the racing heart, the fatigue, the chest pain etc.  I have been on Indocin for 3 days and I'm not sure if it is doing anything for me. Besides keeping me from sleeping, making my heart race and upsetting my stomach.

If I am not better bu tomorrow I am supposed to start on a steroid pack.
Has anybody been through this part of it?