Heart Disease Expert Forum
Pericarditis ongoing

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Pericarditis ongoing

I've been having very sharp chest pain since March 29th, which is in a specific spot on my upper left chest and radiates through to my back. It's worse when I lie down or take a deep breath. I was admitted to the cardiac ward in the hospital on the 5th of April and was diagnosed with viral pericarditis. My chest x-ray was normal, but the ekg and a few other factors support this diagnosis. I was told I could leave the hospital when I felt my pain was under control, and I left a week later and was given painkillers. I have been taking anti-inflammatory pills, as well as codiene and even oxycodone because the pain is very severe and prevents me from sleeping especially. I am eager to get off the painkillers, however the pain is still as severe as when I first got the condition and does not seem to be improving at all. I recently had an echocardiogram, which appeared normal (except for a few 'leaks' which are apparently of no concern). I also experience mild fever (which is controlled by paracetemol) and breathlessness. I often wake in the night feeling as though I can't breathe, and the pain is still too severe to lie down properly. It has now been almost a month, and I'm just wondering if my symptoms are normal for this condition, or when I can expect improvement. At the moment I'm unable to work or study, in fact it is a struggle to even leave bed. It has now been five weeks and symptoms have not improved. The pain has spread a little to under the breast and centre of the chest. Is this normal, and when can I expect improvement? How do I know if there has been a complication or when I should seek further help?
Thank you kindly for your help.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
This is a concerning situation -- although most cases of viral pericarditis resolve without long-term effects, occasionally the inflammation and pain persist for quite some time.  Also, additional cardiac complications can result, such as constrictive pericarditis due to scarring/calcification of the pericardium (fibrous layer of sac surrounding the heart).

First I recommend using high dose anti-inflammatory (high dose aspirin OR ibuprofen OR naproxen, etc) in combination with a medication called colchicine. Hopefully focusing on reducing the inflammation would help your pain.  Second I recommend an echocardiogram as soon as possible to make sure that your heart continues to function well (rule out pericardial effusion or thickening).

Ultimately I think you will most likely recover from the pain and do well, but we need to be mindful of the potential for complications.  Good Luck!
ruby, when a doctor says something is "concerning,' that means 'Go see a doctor.'

Since you are in Australia, you are probably going to have to battle your health care system to be examined soon by a cardiologist, but soon is what is needed here.