Heart Disease Expert Forum
Persantine Cardiac Stress Test

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Persantine Cardiac Stress Test

I've not been able to use or keep my arms above my shoulders for any length of time since a whiplash back in the mid-90s.

I was scheduled for a Persantine Cardiac Stress Test as I have COPD. After 15 minutes w/my arms above my shoulders for the first scan I told them I could NOT do the second scan. They encouraged me to continue the test and they would tie my hands above my head for the second 15 minute scan. I was reluctant but agreed. My shoulders ached so bad long before the scan was finished that I asked them to undo my wrists and let my arms down and they just told me it wouldn't be that much longer. Well - it WAS TOO LONG and I was in tears and still they insisted on finishing the scan. I REFUSE TO GO BACK to that facility.

I've developed mild paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. One episode a month for 6 months, all reverting to normal sinus rhythm on its own w/in a 1/2 hour or so. Then one episode accompanied by chest pain and extreme SOB that ended up lasting about 4 hours w/a trip to ER by ambulance. Again it reverted to normal sinus rhythm on its own.

I very much like the cardiologist I was referred to after this occasion. I wore an e-Cardio event monitor for 3 weeks during which time I encountered 2 episodes that the doctor called and suggested I go to ER but both times the A fib was resolving on its own and I declined to do so.

I was started on coumadin and diltaizem, developed edema from the diltiazem and was switched to metoprolol. I was also started on propafanone 2 x daily. To my knowledge I have NOT had an event since the third day of propfanone. This new cardiologist has suggested that I need a new nuclear stress test in January. I can NOT do this UNLESS there is a way the scans can be done w/o my arms above my shoulders.

Is there a way to do the nuclear stress test w/o my arms above my shoulders during the scans?

I'm sorry to hear you had trouble at your previous facility.  

If your physician wants a stress test, there are ways to do a stress test without putting your arms above your head.  A stress echocardiogram or stress ECG may be a good place to start.  If your physician wants a nuclear stress, you may be able to pre-medicate with some pain and anxiety medication to help get you through the test.  Hope this helps.
Thank you. I really hated the thought of telling this new cardiologist "no" and not being cooperative. I like his office staff as well. His nurse who monitors my coumadin/INR testing is especially nice. But I refuse to be mortified like that again by or for anyone!!! It is reassurring to know there are other options that we can discuss and come to an agreement on.
The first cadiologist was fully aware I have COPD and in fact I am on 2L of 02 and was using my portable 02 during our office visit AND during the Persantine stress test. I was more than a bit angry to discover that Persantine can cause acute exacerbation of COPD and something like dobutamine should have been used instead.