Personality Change
My male friend (husband now) had a severe non surgical heart attack early this year.  He died and was brought back to life.  He was a John Doe at a hospital for about 24 hours before I was notified.  He was unconscious for three days.  It is a miracle he survived.  When he woke up I did not know what to expect with the loss of oxygen and all.  He remembered most things and thank goodness he remembered being in love with me.  He is not the man I fell in love with though.  I am really trying not to complain.  I want and need to accept him for the man he is today.  And I am grateful and blessed that he did survive.  The hard part is that it took me five years to accept that I did have feelings for him before the heart attack.  Two months after his heart attack we were married.  I love him and wanted to take care of him.  I knew he needed rest and time to heal but I wasn't expecting a personality change.  He seems "off" at times.  I try to explain it to him but that only makes him more frustrated.  I can't really explain "off" but it is kinda like he goes into a childish kind of mentality.  He does not talk or act like a full grown man.  He can be good and on the same page with me one minute and off and in another book the next.  My intentions are not to make fun of him or the problem.  It is just driving me up the wall.  And he has erectile disfunction now which makes our problems even more frustrating and worse.  He is on anti-depressants and will start to see a psychiatrist next month.  We also had our first appointment with a neurologist to see if there are any other brain issues going on.  If you can relate to me....please let me know...tired of walking in these shoes alone.
My Father was like that - on and off ,hot and cold.. temperment !  he had a few heart attacks, then ended up haveing open heart surg. valve replacment and 4way bypass
he lived meny years after. but in poor heath -  its hard being with someone you love , and knew well who changed - my father would be like a kid sometimes acting a fool.. and just being stupid careless !  then would switch to being tired sleepy. didnt want to be bothered ?  from there he might jump to being a Mean ******* !  wouldnt harm anyone but just words and yelling like a old fool.  
the doctors put him on a few drugs to calm him down , but he like alot of people refused to take them !  as he knew what they were and what they did.   so no way !
I belive alot of the mind changes were due to medications he was taking daily as he took over 8 diffrent types.   including blood thinners for the valve.   he had his heart stopped a few times in his life.. and came back to life.. I was told there is brain damage that can happen ?  however im not too sure on that issue !   as he seemed normal before the heavy drugs started and the operation.  Never asked about ED.  
but im sure he had some problems being on meds.  as all medications have somekind of side effects happen !  

Its hard to deal with people like this , as I dont think they know whats really going on
with them.  It took me years to get use to his on and off and mean then nice ways.
I have storys of him acting like child in the car.. yelling out loud at people.. like a kid
yet he would turn off like switch. and it would stop !  

I think what your doing is right to do, and it takes a special person to do it..
keep faith and hope..  Good luck to you..