Heart Disease Expert Forum
Phrenic Nerve Transplant

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Phrenic Nerve Transplant
My phrenic nerve was damaged during cyroablation in my heart in Feb. of 2013 to correct minor tachycardia.  The cure was worse than condition.  I now have a paralyzed right hemidiaphragm.  My surgery was preformed by a highly rated, board certified cardiac Eletrophysiologist  (MD, PhD, FACC,FHRS).  He has apologized for making the mistake and told me there is nothing I can do but hope that someday the nerve grows back.

I understand that there are phrenic nerve transplants going on.

Who and where can I contact to see if I might be a candidate
Sorry to hear that you had phrenic nerve damage from your procedure.  Unfortunately, that is one of the very well known complications for procedures requiring cryoablation, including atrial fibrillation ablation and pulmonary vein isolation.  Often it can take months to a couple of years for nervous function to recover.  In cases that it does not, gastric pacers (electrical stimulators for part of the stomach) and or diaphragmatic pacers can be used to restore normal function of the stomach or diaphragm with no sensation for the person that those devices are stimulating the body.  Phrenic nerve transplants or grafts are extremely rare and usually used for different scenarios.  Since the procedure was in February of this year, it has been a number of months, but if I were you I would give it some more time before pursuing either diaphragmatic pacers or phrenic nerve grafting.  I hope it ends up working out in the end for you.